Noctis

Biggest Wasted Opportunity

It would have to be the funeral for me. I loved the wandlit vigil, but I think the funeral would have been so much better. Actually, my biggest qualm was that despite Hooper improving, his track for Dumbledore's death was shockingly boring. Can you imagine if Desplat had scored it? God.Also, I know this may sound weird, but I've been thinking, don't you think the wandlit vigil would have worked even better in DH2 when they tribute all the people who died in the first wave of the battle? Also, I'm pissed that Hermione's torture had to be watered down THREE times because they were afraid it would get too dark. Seriously...that's so annoying.

I still contend that the biggest wasted opportunity was not showing more of what was going on away from Harry in DH2. Yeah, I know the book is 3rd person limited, focused on Harry, just like all the other books. That was the narration style that Rowling wrote all the previous books in, and so that was the style that she had to write the last one in (a couple of scenes excepted, of course).But there was no reason why the movie had to stick with that style. I would have loved to see a scene or two of the Order at work, or the assassination of Scrimgeour, or the struggle between Dumbledore's Army and the Carrows.It's symptomatic of the way that the Harry Potter movies operated, though. None of them are truly excellent movies, IMO, because they were too conservative. Decent movies, sure. Good movies, in some cases. Generally fun movies. But not exceptional. Virtually none of the changes they made showed any daring at all, instead being made for the sake of limited run time. Movies are different from books. Great movies based on great books reflect (and in some ways benefit from) this difference.The closest they ever came to being daring was PoA, and that's why it's still among my favorites in the movie series.Also, you and your love of Hermione-torture. :D I'm fine with that bit; the original was arguably softer than the movie version as it is...though to me it was somehow more chilling than the movie version.

iri10, I completely agree with you that they should have shown the assassination of Scrimgeour. We could have seen Voldemort even look more ruthless. I also think we should have seen Luna get kidnapped, it would have only added tension to when they visit Xenophilius.If I were the director, I would have easily shown the death of Fred, but kept it as an intimate scene between only him and George. I would want Ron to only find out after Snape's death when he sees his dead body lying in the Great Hall.Also, regarding Tonks/Lupin, I wouldn't have exactly shown them getting killed. I would cut out seconds before they died. Whether they were both cornered somewhere, unable to flee, etc, but I would want Bella to be the reason.Also, I really think they needed to have a scene of Snape/Lily as teenagers. Not just one, but maybe two to see the fallout and his lust for the Dark Arts.