The Creator

3.15 "As the Sun Rises"

16 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win Box Office Alliance - Season 3?

• Baumer
    • Riczhang
  2. 2. What is the best season of Box Office Alliance?

• Season 1
    • Season 2
    • Season 3

3.15 "As the Sun Rises"

And here we go.

The two remaining champions were asked a series of challenging questions. Baumer and Riczhang have proven their skill all season, but we've not yet seen them in a one-on-one match. Riczhang has the upper hand, in terms of skill and experience, but Baumer is the underdog...and we all know how much that can help you out in this game. It is the moment we've all been waiting for. We've been through a hell of a season for this. So now, let's get to it.

PART III

The finale was divided into three parts. We're going to work these in reverse, because the Part I questions are the most challenging. So the Part III questions were those numbered 13-15. These questions were very straightfoward. They asked for the per theater averages of three films. Here are the results:

Question 13: Parker's per theater average

Baumer:

99,47%

Riczhang:

92.28%

Baumer takes 1 out of 3 for this section.

Question 14: Movie 43's per theater average

Baumer:

47.81% (73.64% current average)

Riczhang:

90.64% (91.46% current average)

Riczhang takes Question 2. It's tied 1 to 1. Score wise, Riczhang leads.

Question 15: Life of Pi's per theater average

Baumer:

86.00%

Riczhang:

81.98%

Baumer takes Question 3. He wins 2 out of 3 for this section.

Baumer wins Part III in terms of getting first in the most questions (66.67% of the questions for this section)). However, Riczhang leads with a score of 88.30% for this section. Baumer's score for Part III is 77.76%. This means that Riczhang wins Part III.

"As the Sun Rises" - cont.

Part II

This section asked very easy questions concerning the weekend grosses. There were four questions (9-12). The results are published below:

Question 9: Zero Dark Thirty's weekend gross

Baumer:

95.75%

Riczhang:

99.23%

Riczhang has a healthy lead in this section so far.

Question 10: Silver Lining's Playbook's weekend gross

Baumer:

91.73% (93.74% current Part II average)

Riczhang:

97.67% (98.45% current Part II average)

Riczhang leads. He has 2 out of 4 for this section.

Question 11: Les Miserable's weekend gross

Baumer:

83.06% (90.18% current Part II average)

Riczhang:

94.63% (97.18% current Part II average)

Riczhang maintains his lead. Baumer can't catch a break in this section. Riczhang has won 3 out of 4 questions so far.

Question 12: Broken City's weekend gross

Baumer:

92.74%

Riczhang:

78.08%

Baumer swept the fourth question in this section, but Riczhang won the other 3. However, this difference on Question 12 may make up for it. Let's see.

Part II Averages

Baumer:

90.82%

Riczhang:

92.40%

Riczhang wins Part II as well. This means he is in the lead. Baumer has a lot of catching up to do. But Part I is the most challenging of all...and it can change things.

Current averages (Part II and III combined)

Baumer:

84.29%

Riczhang:

90.35%

Up next...Part I. And the winner will be revealed.

"As the Sun Rises" - concluded

Part I

And now, we will reveal the Lone Legend's identity. Part I will determine it all. These questions were the most difficult of all. They were questions 1-8. Let's see how the players did, and we will find out who the Lone Legend is.

Question 1

Baumer:

75.16%

Riczhang:

92.85%

Baumer has a bit of catching up to do. But this section is much harder, so Riczhang may fall of his high horse at any moment.

Question 2

Baumer:

21.91% (ouch!) (current average for Pt1: 48.54%)

Riczhang:

90.10% (current Pt.1 average: 91.48%)

Riczhang is still leading. But the tables can turn, as we have seen each time Acsc went up in the Finale.

Question 3

Baumer:

69.20% (current Pt.1 average: 55.43%

Riczhang:

94.29% (current Pt. 1 average: 92.42%

Things are not boding well for Baumer, but if this follows the pattern of past seasons, then he will make a come back in the end. He still has a shot, especially as the next few questions are particularly trying.

Question 4

Baumer:

96.36% (current Pt. 1 average: 65.66%)

Riczhang:

79.23% (current Pt. 1 average: 89.12%)

Riczhang still maintains a very solid lead, but Baumer shows that he can make a comeback. It's not over yet.

Question 5

Baumer:

1.75% (no longer reporting Pt. 1 averages)

Riczhang:

48.60%

Then again, Baumer may not make that comeback afterall. Although Riczhang also suffered, Baumer suffered worse on this question. Things are not boding well at all for him.

Question 6

Baumer:

31.25%

Riczhang:

0.00%

Riczhang's 0% may have cost him, but was it enough to give Baumer the lead? We shall see.

Question 7

Baumer:

98.66%

Riczhang:

91.39%

Baumer certainly made a comeback a bit on these last couple of questions, but was his rebound enough?

Question 8

Baumer:

No score

Riczhang:

No score

There was no Question 8.

Part I Averages

Baumer:

Psh...I'm not making it that easy

Riczhang:

Bazinga

The overall average comes from the combined Parts I-III averages. Let's see who the Lone Legend is.

The Lone Legend isn't Acsc. It isn't Totem.

It isn't CEDAR, nor Alfred, nor JackO, nor Goffe.

No, the Lone Legend is....

RICZHANG!!!

Final Averages:

Baumer:

71.67% (46.43% on Part I)

Riczhang:

83.87% (70.92% on Part I)

Congratulations! The fourth nominee for Player of the Season is:

RICZHANG - of course, he just won!

Thanks, I feel really honoured to win. I'd like to thank Creator for hosting the game. Baumer for being such a good competitor. I'd also like to thank my two teammates this season, Doctorwho and RichWS, both of you guys are awesome. I'd also like to thank all the competitors Acsc, Avatarfan, CEDAR, ChD, CJohn, Alfred, Dragon, Electric, Fakhir, Goffe, Iceroll, ED, JackO, Tawasal, Totem, and Zeno for being awesome people and fun competitors. The game is so awesome because of everyone. Lastly, I'd like to thank (before they play me out with the music :P) Sims, Fake, Jake Gittes, Spaghetti, Tower, Numbers, Bed005, and Creator for making the previous two weeks so exciting, nervewracking, challenging and fun.

I look forward to next season, and barring time constraints I hope to defend my title. :D 

Congratulations Riczhang. Baumer, you still did very well... It's not everyday that a starter gets into the finale, so congratulations to you too, for a great season.

And I've actually won 2 Awards... Well, thank you very much!

Edited by ChD

Congrats Ric....you are a most deserving champion. I thought it would be close, but deep down I really did think you would win. You played a very consistent and strong game all season and you deserve to be the sole survivor.

Having said that I think I took a few too many risks this past weekend, and that killed me. But, if those risks would have worked, then I'd be champion. But it was not meant to be. Congrats to a true box office afficionado.

I know many of you from the Summer Game. There are so many really good box office nuts here. Goffe, Totem, Alfred, acsc, Ice, xeno, cedar, Gittes, Spaghetti and many others (too many to name). There's a lot of box office acumen here and to be runner up is quite the accomplishment if you don't mind me saying. It doesn't mean that I am any better than the rest of you, only that I picked my spots and got lucky once in a while.

On to Creator.

You are a fantastic host and this is a fantastic game. From one host to another, from one game creator to another, I am in awe of the job you do here. You put a lot of time and effort into the game and your creativity and energy is infectious. I am very happy you reached to me and asked me to play and I am really glad I accepted. I can't say I will play every season, but I will make an effort to be here as often as possible. Thanks for a great game. You know the invitation is there to come to BSG as well. Don't feel obligated to play as mine is a lot longer of a commitment. But I'd love to see you take a crack at it.

It's been a great couple of months. Thanks to all of you for making my first time (lol) so memorable.

See you next season.

Edited by baumer

And now, the fifth and final nominee for Player of the Season. There were a lot of worthy players: Acsc, JackO, DoctorWho, Baumer, even CEDAR (who bowed out early) and ChD. Already, four have been nominated: Alfred, Goffe, Riczhang, and Totem. The fifth nominee for Player of the Season is:

Baumer - because, quite frankly, making it to the finale while being a rookie is a hell of an accomplishment.

PLAYER OF THE SEASON AWARD - SEASON 3

Five nominees. One winner. This award is the most prestigious award offered in "Box Office Alliance." The person chosen as the winner is the person who most embodies the season, in terms of box-office skill, rank, Challenge score, friendliness, individuality, teamwork, strategy, and influence. The winner is not always the person who scored highest, or the person who finished first place. In fact, we have yet to have the Player of the Season recipient finish higher than 3rd place (CEDAR won it in Season 1 and placed 3rd). Naturally, the higher you're rank, the better chance you have, but the Player of the Season award looks at all factors that make a player a stand-out. Totem won last season, despite placing fifth overall, because he was the most monumentally successful, threatening, and respected player of the season. CEDAR won in Season 1, despite placing third overall, because he was the most competitive, hard-working, and skillful predictor of the season. So this season, who will win?

Well, Season 3 was not a whimper. All the players, especially those nominated, were strong...very strong. It's hard to define any one player as the standout "Player of the Season." They've all had their great moments, their breakthroughs, their strengths and weaknesses, and their character-defining moments. They've faced Challenges, overcome obstacles, and advanced to high ranks. They persevered and became the strongest players of the season (although not all ranked in the Final Five). These five nominees are legends, whose skill is almost unrivaled, and whose status is unquestioned. They embody this season because they represent the competitiveness, alliance, and integrity that made up Season 3. They also best displayed character, stand-out, skill, strategy, and both individuality and teamwork in the seasonal competitions. That is why these five nominees have made it to this road. The nominees for Season 3's Player of the Season award are (in alphabetical order):

ALFRED (Alfred is an icon in the game. Each season, he has made it to the Final Five. He is the only player to place in the Final Five in all three seasons, despite being featured in less episodes than both Acsc and CEDAR. This season, he triumphed once more, and landed in fifth place. He put up a very strong run, and was constantly ranking near the top on a weekly basis. In the early quarter of the season, he partnered with Xeno on "The FireEaters" and championed the team to a first place standing up until the midseason episode, where the Special Host weeks kicked in. Alfred took a beating there, losing his frontrunner status, but what shows he had the potential to be Player of the Season was his ability to overcome that huge loss. Despite losing the majority of his points, Alfred managed to keep going strong and make it through the first level of the Top Ten games and ultimately to the Final Five Championship. He championed "The A-Team" for a brief two weeks before slaying the legendary Acsc in a Challenge. He endured through three Challenges after his mishap in the Special Host games, and he was able to make it to the Final Five against all odds. Alfred proved that he is a player of great skill, endurance, and hope, and that is why he has been nominated for Player of the Season.)

BAUMER (Baumer is the only rookie player to be recognized this year as a potential Player of the Season. He deserves it. The strongest rookie of the season, Baumer has earned the title of a veteran now. He persevered through the most grueling season of Box Office Alliance yet, and his ability to make it into the Final Five, despite facing the likes of box office legends like Totem, Alfred, CEDAR, and Goffe, ensured that he was indeed a very great player. He managed a feat that, at the start of the season, would have seemed unlikely for him. Baumer made it all the way to the Finale, after winning the semi-final where he even beat The Creator (me) in a challenge. Baumer, the underdog of the season, made it into the last round, where he just narrowly lost to Riczhang. But Baumer's ability to make it that far is what is so impressive, because, while a strong player, he rarely ventured to the top spots on most of the early games, and didn't really become truly prominent until after the Special Host weeks. Then, he began to shine and stepped up his game, and his skill in the latter half of the season reflect the talent needed to survive in this game. Furthermore, Baumer is a benevolent force, one of the most engaging and friendly players of the season. His helpfulness and his great level of participation will definitely push him closer to a victory in this award, because I truly enjoyed the amount of commitment that Baumer displayed this season. Baumer went far, and he will become one of the next great Box Office Alliance stars.)

GOFFE (Oh yes, Goffe. What a very well-rounded player. In Season 2, he was tremendously underestimated. I remember a quarrel between "The Shadowkillers" when Goffe was sent to their team. Acsc and CEDAR assumed he would be a weak link. Ironically, he wound up being the most powerful player on the team for the next few weeks and ensured that all three of them would make it to the Top Ten of Season 2. But in Season 3, Goffe was never the underdog. Quite frequently, he was the top dog. And honestly, were it down to a competition between him and Riczhang in the final, I'm not sure if he wouldn't have won. He's just so damn good. Goffe proved that he is one of the most skilled predictors, and was ranked the frontrunner at the start of the Top Ten games. He was eliminated at the start of the Final Five games but only because he forgot to show for a weekly Challenge. Were it not for that, he would have surely placed in the final alongside either Baumer or Riczhang, and he very well could have won. He is a force to be reckoned with, a warrior as mighty as Totem, as strategic as Riczhang, and as humble as Xeno. Oh yes, Goffe is clearly one of the most respected players of the season. No one has any qualms with him. Despite being a very skilled player, people generally seem to respect, rather than fear, him, and therefore they don't immediately jump to seeing him eliminated, unlike with Totem (who was also nominated for this award). Goffe is a top dog and a star of the game, and this season, he once more demonstrated tremendous skill and friendliness, and his participation certainly increased. What makes him a stand-out is that he was able to improve over his standing last season and appeared as a stronger competitor this time around.)

RICZHANG (How could Riczhang not be nominated? The powerful player from Season 2, who bowed out midway through but was still recognized for Player of the Season then due to his tremendous skill in the first half of the season, went on to win Season 3. In the most brutal competition of the game so far, Riczhang outlasted everyone, even defeated Baumer, and accomplished victory, proving once again (and perhaps more so) that he is a frighteningly imposing predictor whose skill is almost unrivaled. Indeed, Riczhang matches Totem in skill, and that is saying a lot. The two were partners on "The Crimson Knights" in Season 2, and their dominance in the first quarter is still an infamous occurrence in the game. But should they ever go up against each other one-on-one, it would be one of the most nerve-wracking Challenges of all time. Riczhang has shown his skill, and placing first will definitely give him a solid edge for this award, but compared to some of the other nominees, he wasn't as humble as Goffe nor as involved as Baumer. But he was still very involved in the game, and he was always around with something to say. His competitiveness was unrivaled this season, his skill unmatched, and his strategy superb. A very potent player, Riczhang deserves this award as much (if not more so) as the other nominees.)

and lastly

TOTEM (The other Riczhang. Or maybe Richang is the lesser Totem? Totem is considered to be the best predictor of Box Office Alliance, despite never placing higher than 5th place, or perhaps because of it. Everyone, and I mean everyone, considers Totem a threat. He could just about outpredict anyone in this game, and that's the reason he can never make it past fifth place (so far). Because the one time he falters, the savages are out for his head. In his moments of weakness (as few as they are), he is always the first to go. Because he's just too damn powerful. Totem was the dominant player of the season for most of his run, and he became quite an idol for a period when he wracked up so many high scores. His Challenge skills came into effect again, pushing him through another few gruelling Challenges and ensuring his victory in them. His predicting skills ensured he would make it to the Top Ten. Unfortunately, he made it no further because he was eliminated on a technicality. If Totem had showed up that last week of his, he would have made it to the Final Five, although he would have had to fight to make it to the Finale, because the moment he buckled, everyone would've been out to get him. A superior player, and winner of Player of the Season last season, Totem certainly put up a great run once more.)

And the winner is

BAUMER

This was really tough. Riczhang deserves it equally, especially because he won the season and was the better predictor of the two. But Baumer just truly shows what this game is about: the ability to overcome obstalces. Baumer had the biggest restraints against him for being a rookie going up against star players, and to pull out a second place victory against that is just down right impressive. He also participated very frequently in the game and is one of the most avidly outspoken players of the season. He's been a tremendous delight all season, and he really deserves this. Riczhang did too (as did the others), but in a very narrow decision call, I think Baumer deserves it slightly more, because of his rookie status.

Hey guys. wow.  I'm stunned and very honoured.  This was a very tough game and obviously anyone of the five nominated for the award deserved to win.  You are all amazing players and it was a lot of fun and a very challenging time here over the past couple of months.  Ric, you are a fantastic player and creator, your game is truly legendary.  I'm so glad I played this season and can't wait for the next.  And to quote Sally Field after her second Oscar win, "You like me, you really like me."  :)