riczhang

Riczhang's Year 6 Reviews

Uh, Request 2 movies. One from the first 6 months of the year. A second from the latter 6 months of the year. I'll try to get to all of them, but I'm very busy at the moment so I'll try. I'll also be away this weekend so don't expect any reviews up. 

Since you've already read Expedecade, I'll have Sir Thymes Time for the first half of the year, and for the second half of the year, you can pick between Mr. Rogers Goes to Washington or Chuck Norris and Liam Neeson vs. Giant Spiders (that will be posted late tonight.)

I'm getting to it. But, there's been some unforeseen complications. When I was away this weekend staffing at a conference, an unforseen major accident happened. It didn't involve anyone at the conference but it was enough to put me off from writing reviews. I've read two movies so far, and they aren't the best reviewed movies i've seen but I loved them both. 

Since you've already read Expedecade, I'll have Sir Thymes Time for the first half of the year, and for the second half of the year, you can pick between Mr. Rogers Goes to Washington or Chuck Norris and Liam Neeson vs. Giant Spiders (that will be posted late tonight.)

I already wrote a pseudo-review for Expedecade so I'll post an edited and elaborated version of it right now:

Expedecade

Wow. This is amazing. This film takes all that was good about the previous movie, Lord Madship, and added in many other elements that only made the film even better. It was intimate yet grand at the same time and while I was concerned that it may have been too intimate at the beginning it soon branched out and became very Grandiose and fitting of the umpteenth installment in the Bond franchise. Ending is perfect. 

10/10

• Like 1

The Screwtape Letters

I never thought we'd arrive at the day when the Screwtape Letters would be adapted for the big screen, and there's no better choice than Del Toro to realise C.S. Lewis's brilliant book. The cast is all fantastic and while it seems a little stagey at times the Screwtape Letters is still a pleasure to behold on screen. 

8.5/10

• Like 1

And just a note, I'm not doing these in submission order because I can't focus on anything long, kinda traumatised at the moment, but I am doing them so that everyone will get one review before they get a second. Cyber's coming up either in the next 10 minutes or tomorrow afternoon. 

Cyber

I think that I should begin my review by saying something controversial, an opinion that I've voiced before. I did not like Social Network, and Cyber while it has some flaws of its own is in some ways what I kinda hoped Social Network could've been. Soderbergh gives an expertly directed, and sharply scripted movie that is both light, and serious at the same time. It succeeds because it doesn't try to be too intellectual or take itself too seriously. It takes what the subject matter is and construes it as it is, and in my opinion as it should be. 

The cast is perfect for their roles and I would highly suggest Spaghetti campaing Hoult for lead actor if he is not already doing so. He captures the essence of Thomas perfectly from the slightly cocky personality to the "inner nerd". The rest of the cast was also fairly terrific and I could not see anyone else getting cast in their places.

Lastly, I'd like to address some issues others have written about. The issue about Cyber never transcending its schema and the set parameters of its plot, I digress. There's a particularly powerful scene in The King's Speech where Lionel's sitting on St.Edward's Chair and Bertie explodes at him after he asks Bertie, "And Why should I listen to you?" Bertie responds, "Because I have a voice!" Lionel's response is what I think this movie is about, and it tells it pretty damn well. Lionel responded quietly, "Yes. You Do." 

Secondly, I do agree that at certain times the plot does seem to be lacking a little in a 3rd dimension of depth, and the movie simply asks us to suspend our reality and just believe. While the movie could've improved had the plot been just a little more developed, the movie did not ask us to suspend our reality too much and was perfectly alright. All-in-all very good, and extremely satisfying. 

9.5/10

• Like 2

Cyber

I think that I should begin my review by saying something controversial, an opinion that I've voiced before. I did not like Social Network, and Cyber while it has some flaws of its own is in some ways what I kinda hoped Social Network could've been. Soderbergh gives an expertly directed, and sharply scripted movie that is both light, and serious at the same time. It succeeds because it doesn't try to be too intellectual or take itself too seriously. It takes what the subject matter is and construes it as it is, and in my opinion as it should be. 

The cast is perfect for their roles and I would highly suggest Spaghetti campaing Hoult for lead actor if he is not already doing so. He captures the essence of Thomas perfectly from the slightly cocky personality to the "inner nerd". The rest of the cast was also fairly terrific and I could not see anyone else getting cast in their places.

Lastly, I'd like to address some issues others have written about. The issue about Cyber never transcending its schema and the set parameters of its plot, I digress. There's a particularly powerful scene in The King's Speech where Lionel's sitting on St.Edward's Chair and Bertie explodes at him after he asks Bertie, "And Why should I listen to you?" Bertie responds, "Because I have a voice!" Lionel's response is what I think this movie is about, and it tells it pretty damn well. Lionel responded quietly, "Yes. You Do." 

Secondly, I do agree that at certain times the plot does seem to be lacking a little in a 3rd dimension of depth, and the movie simply asks us to suspend our reality and just believe. While the movie could've improved had the plot been just a little more developed, the movie did not ask us to suspend our reality too much and was perfectly alright. All-in-all very good, and extremely satisfying. 

9.5/10

I will also give it 9.5 out of 10

• Like 1