Gopher

The 2013 Box Office Awards (Master/Cloud Atlas lead)

LIKE ME DAMMIT 

WORST PICTUREBattleship Dark Shadows Dr. Seuss' The Lorax Taken 2 That's My Boy 

And the winner is... 

Not Sandler's worst film, but it's an excellent addition to his terrible filmography.

• Like 2

Another tribute-

CLOUD ATLAS

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-5ndt3l67g

"An adaption of 2006 novel by David Mitchell, Cloud Atlas was considered to be unfulfillable by many. The idea of six interconnected, yet highly distinct, stories spread out across nearly half a millennium would require a heavy running time, or perhaps even a television miniseries. However, with the team up of three visionary directors, Lana Wachowski, Andy Wachowski, and Tom Twyker, the novel was brought to life on the big screen. Some people found it to be a bloated and frustrating mess, while others considered it to be a modern masterpiece. Whether or not you liked it, you have to admit that there was huge ambition involved in this project, especially considering that this 100 million dollar production was mainly handled by an independent company in Germany, not a big Hollywood studio.

With each of its six stories, all united in themes of defying the status quo and the ideas of reincarnation and karma, Cloud Atlas becomes more than the sum of its parts. If you look at each story separately, you'd probably find something to like. For example, Timothy Cavendish's ghastly ordeal would generate much laughter, while others may view Sonmi-451's plight as heroic and visually stunning. The great thing about this movie is that it combines 6 movies that are solid on their own regard, and unifies them to create something so much stronger. One of the reasons for this excellence comes from the film's fantastic ensemble.

Cloud Atlas does something that no other film has been able to do, let alone actually do. The film uses its casting to show the themes of the movie. Using state-of-the-art makeup techniques, several actors, including Tom Hanks, Jim Broadbent, Halle Berry, and more, transform into a unique character in each story. Here's the catch: Each actor represents a distinct soul and archetype, and some of which undergo much transformation through the course of this anthology. Give props to the filmmakers for utilizing this clever and significant technique to help show the idea of reincarnation.

Of course, with the budget this big, the film is obviously a visual extravaganza. You've got strong period flair with the first three stories, set in 1849, 1936, and 1973. The fourth story, set in present day, is also well crafted. Finally, with the last five stories, all set in the distant future, you've got visuals that are not unlike that of a large tent pole epic. It's amazing what these people could accomplish without Hollywood's help. Sound, score, makeup, visual effects, cinematography, art direction, costume design - I would have nominated the film in all of these categories if I were able to, and then some. On top of that, the editing was some of the best in modern cinema, especially considering how hard it would be to edit such a film.

I can't say enough to show how much I love this movie, and I was hooked for the entire 172-minute run time. Moviegoers who go into this with an open mind and patience will be greatly rewarded. You certainly don't even have to lower your expectations for it. Cloud Atlas truly is a emotional, exciting, heartbreaking, inspiring, funny, revelatory, and incredible experience."

By Spaghetti 

• Like 5