Impact

Best Actor-2013

It's not gonna be. Marty doesn't have time to cut it anymore and even if he did, it'd be finished too late for a FYC campaign. He's obligated to go jury for 2 weeks at some festival in November.

I misread this and thought he had jury duty for a moment :P

With Leo and Carell leaving, and Prisoners doing well, I'm gonna say Jackman's chances are actually better than most people here are saying (I haven't seen Prisoners yet though)

I wonder why it got delayed? (Foxcatcher)

Edited by Impact

With Leo and Carell leaving, and Prisoners doing well, I'm gonna say Jackman's chances are actually better than most people here are saying (I haven't seen Prisoners yet though)

Yep. He has a much better chance to get one of the last couple spots.

Wait Bruce Dern is lead now? When I predicted him months ago people said he was supporting.

He is a lead. He ruled out supporting nomination at the Telluride festival.

The thinking is that, because he is an older veteran actor, he could instantly become a frontrunner in the supporting category (like Christopher Plummer in Beginners or James Coburn in Affliction). Whereas the Lead Actor race is overcrowded and he could be squeezed out of even a nomination.Dern is aware of the Internet chatter but completely dismisses it. “I don’t know why they are saying that. I suppose they could take a stopwatch and say someone else has one minute and 45 seconds more screen time than I do so that makes me supporting. But I say ‘get the f**k out of here’,” he told me at Thursday’s opening picnic.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/08/telluride-nebraskas-bruce-dern-doesnt-mince-words-on-why-he-isnt-supporting-anyone/

Thanks guys-I thought he was the lead-but other people said otherwise.

You know-the ones who seem to be placed too much as supporting are kid actors/actresses. Apparently Lions was worried that the girl from Whale Rider was going to be put as supporting so they had a massive campaign to put her as the lead.

I hope Carell can get a nom next year

really crossing fingers. Hopefully Fc can get some festivals next year & be released like in September. With the kind of amazing comments abt him would be a shame if he isnt considered in 2014 

yeah Hanks really becomes more & more likely here

He's right. Having seen Nebraska, there's no fucking way he isn't the lead character. 

did u like it??

I loved Nebraska. Incredibly touching movie. Still think Election is Payne's best, but if we're talking his comic dramas, Nebraska is definitely on the level of About Schmidt and Sideways (I still haven't seen The Descendants), in some ways it's even better due to B&W cinematography and no Hollywood charisma (which Nicholson couldn't entirely hide no matter how hard he tried) - it feels more lived-in and intimate. Just a wonderful old-fashioned drama/comedy that has a lot to say about old age, mortality and missed opportunities without explicitly stating it.

• Like 1

Is it me, or this looks almost closed to any surprise with the top five being Dern, Redford, Ejiofor, Hanks and McConaughey?

Only other contenders are Bale (still no buzz), Whitaker (the praise is not on him), B Jordan (too early contender?), Jackman (film buzz will be surely buried with Gravity & Captain Phillips) & Phoenix (don't see this happening).

Is it me, or this looks almost closed to any surprise with the top five being Dern, Redford, Ejiofor, Hanks and McConaughey?

Only other contenders are Bale (still no buzz), Whitaker (the praise is not on him), B Jordan (too early contender?), Jackman (film buzz will be surely buried with Gravity & Captain Phillips) & Phoenix (don't see this happening).

Those four look like near-locks to me. Still unsure about Dern. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he got in, but neither would I if he got kicked out by any of the other five guys you mention. 

I'd love Redford to win, but I wouldn't be surprised if Ejiofor rides the momentum all the way to that stage. McConaughey's win would be his nomination, and Hanks' win would be his first nomination in 13 years.

1. Ejiofor

2. Redford

3. McConaughey

4. Hanks

5. Whoever is the fifth nominee