Impact

Best Actor-2013

What do you want him to do if he's all by himself? Talk to himself? Talk to the storm? Thankfully there aren't any volleyballs to talk to. It's pure acting as reacting, and if Redford is as up to the task as all the reviews claim he is, I'll watch the shit out of the movie. 

My top 5 right now:

1. Leonardo Di Caprio - The Wolf of Wall Street

2. Robert Redford - All Is Lost

3. Chiwetel Ejiofor - 12 Years a Slave

4. Tom Hanks - Captain Phillips

5. Michael B. Jordan - Fruitvale Station

Alternatives: Christian Bale in American Hustle / Oscar Isaac in Inside Llewyn Davis / Steve Carell in Foxcatcher / Michael Fassbender in The Counselor / Matthew McConaughey in Dallas Buyers Club

Current:Forrest Gump for Mr. Banks

Batman for Furnace

Young Magneto for Counselor

Mr. Dern for the state east of Colorado

That annoying dude from Titanic for Wall Street: The Legend Continues

Okay Hanks I think might be for Captain Philips actually now.

Don't see how that decreases his chances. To the contrary, if his work is as good as the buzz from Cannes suggests, it'll only contribute to the buzz and make people pay more attention to him. He might not be a deaf actor (like Marlee Matlin who won in 1987), or play a mute character (like Samantha Morton, nominated in 2000) or be acting in a silent movie (like Dujardin), but I still think his apparent ability to impressively pull off a 90-minute near-silent one-man act could only be an advantage. Plus he's a certified, widely beloved and respected Hollywood legend who hasn't won yet, I bet the Academy would jump at the chance to reward him. The only thing that's holding me back from thinking of him as the top contender at this point is that the movie is gonna be distributed by Roadside Attractions, who's had some success getting films nominated before (Winter's Bone, Margin Call), but who knows how well they'll sell All Is Lost. If Fox Searchlight, Focus or SPC was behind Redford, I'd go for him over Di Caprio right now.

Don't see how that decreases his chances. To the contrary, if his work is as good as the buzz from Cannes suggests, it'll only contribute to the buzz and make people pay more attention to him. He might not be a deaf actor (like Marlee Matlin who won in 1987), or play a mute character (like Samantha Morton, nominated in 2000) or be acting in a silent movie (like Dujardin), but I still think his apparent ability to impressively pull off a 90-minute near-silent one-man act could only be an advantage. Plus he's a certified, widely beloved and respected Hollywood legend who hasn't won yet, I bet the Academy would jump at the chance to reward him. The only thing that's holding me back from thinking of him as the top contender at this point is that the movie is gonna be distributed by Roadside Attractions, who's had some success getting films nominated before (Winter's Bone, Margin Call), but who knows how well they'll sell All Is Lost. If Fox Searchlight, Focus or SPC was behind Redford, I'd go for him over Di Caprio right now.

That's how I look at it, too. A virtually wordless performance will stand out from the crowd because it's not like they come along every day, the same with a performance of an actor on the screen by himself for most of the movie. I think it could be received something like Tom Hanks with Castaway, except if Tom Hanks had been in the business 50 years and hadn't won Best Actor before when he'd given that performance (instead he'd already won twice less than ten years earlier, while there were 20+ years between DDL's first and third Best Actor wins). The median age for an AMPAS member is 62 and as of 2012 only 14% of Oscar voters are under age 50. Maybe All Is Lost will seem cold/remote and in that case the typical Oscar voter might not respond to it as favorably. But if RR's performance goes over well and the Best Actor race comes down to DiCaprio vs. Redford (Gatsby vs. Gatsby!) I can't really picture the votes breaking in Leo's favor.

Edited by BoxOfficeChica
  • Like 1