Impact

Best Actress-2013

They use toasters in movies sometimes.

That is science based : electricity, resistance, iron, Tesla, Volt, some of the biggest technological accomplishments of human kind allow us to use a toaster.

Hence movies where people use toasters are sciece fiction, just like Gravity where Sabu's character uses a spaceship and a space suit.

That would be a good point if it wasn't so stupid.

• Like 3

I agree with the Futurist. (I know, shock!) Yes it does have Fiction and Science in it; it really isn't. Gravity is much more drama than sci-fi. The way that it is done and the story that it tells could've been based on a true story. It's very much like Apollo 13 and very little like Avatar.Of course this is based on some knowledge on the screenplay of the film.

Edited by riczhang
  • Like 1

I agree with the Futurist. (I know, shock!) Yes it does have Fiction and Science in it; it really isn't. Gravity is much more drama than sci-fi.

Sci-fi deals with setting, premise, and the underlying driving force of the film. Drama just demonstrates the tone of the film.So saying a film is more drama than Sci-fi is very silly because the two coincide very easily. Gravity is a film set in space, is about the dangers of space travel in low-earth orbit, and is not a true story. It is sci-fi.

Now some considered Brokeback and No Country Westerns, I don't consider either one a western, they are not in the right time period for example.

Anyway Gravity does appear to be a sci-fi.

Sci-fi deals with setting, premise, and the underlying driving force of the film. Drama just demonstrates the tone of the film.So saying a film is more drama than Sci-fi is very silly because the two coincide very easily. Gravity is a film set in space, is about the dangers of space travel in low-earth orbit, and is not a true story. It is sci-fi.

My point being is that the Sci-Fi isn't really the main point of the film. It is unfair, imo, to classify the film as sci-fi rather than Drama. 

Well I do remember quite a few people were disappointed with Moneyball as it is apparently not a sports film as it was portrayed in the trailer but more of a drama with no music and not much in the sport.

I have just seen Blue is the Warmest Colour and I think Exarchopoulos is going to be nominated and she might win. She delivered one of the best performances I've ever seen. It would be such a colossal mistake if the Academy doesn't nominated or even give her the Oscar. And the film itself should be nominated for BP and Lea Seydoux deserves a BSActress nod. I hope the film can garner enough passion in the Academy for some nominations.

I have just seen Blue is the Warmest Colour and I think Exarchopoulos is going to be nominated and she might win. She delivered one of the best performances I've ever seen. It would be such a colossal mistake if the Academy doesn't nominated or even give her the Oscar. And the film itself should be nominated for BP and Lea Seydoux deserves a BSActress nod. I hope the film can garner enough passion in the Academy for some nominations.

No. No. No. Not only is it NC-17, it is also 3+ hours long, it is also an extremely tough subject matter for the Academy, it is also foreign, and it is also not eligible for Foreign Film. (Not to mention it's being campaigned by Sundance Selects. But, I'm not even sure that Harvey Weinstein could've helped it.) 

And I'm not super impressed by the film, nor the performances. 

Edited by riczhang
  • Like 1

No. No. No. Not only is it NC-17, it is also 3+ hours long, it is also an extremely tough subject matter for the Academy, it is also foreign, and it is also not eligible for Foreign Film. (Not to mention it's being campaigned by Sundance Selects. But, I'm not even sure that Harvey Weinstein could've helped it.) And I'm not super impressed by the film, nor the performances.

Wasn't A Clockwork Orange nominated for BP and that an X-rated film in 1971. Sure it had a famous director but it's not an impossibility. And ai think that there are enough Academy members looking for something new and different like Blue is the Warmest Colour.

Wasn't A Clockwork Orange nominated for BP and that an X-rated film in 1971. Sure it had a famous director but it's not an impossibility. And ai think that there are enough Academy members looking for something new and different like Blue is the Warmest Colour.

Yes and Midnight Cowboy won in 1969. What's your point? That was 42 years ago. And yes, Blue is close to an impossibility. Sundance won't be able to put up a campaign that will carry it through the season. And without a foreign language film submission, most people won't even see it.

Let me ask you this question. Imagine that you are an Academy member and it's the beginning of December/Christmas. You have a stack of about 40-50 screeners in front of you and you're going to sit down it your family to watch it. You're a 60 year old, straight, white male. What would you watch? A 3 hour, NC-17, dark, french film or a 2 hour, PG-13, American film by a famous director? 

And don't bring up the Amour argument that some people on ADF are. Amour was a film that catered towards the Academy demographic. It was hip and auteur enough that the small minority of young people loved it (they'll love blue too), but it also had appropriate subject matter and gravitas to make the regular Academy connect with it and love it. It also helps that Haneke's Haneke and Kechiche is well Kechiche. 

Yes and Midnight Cowboy won in 1969. What's your point? That was 42 years ago. And yes, Blue is close to an impossibility. Sundance won't be able to put up a campaign that will carry it through the season. And without a foreign language film submission, most people won't even see it.Let me ask you this question. Imagine that you are an Academy member and it's the beginning of December/Christmas. You have a stack of about 40-50 screeners in front of you and you're going to sit down it your family to watch it. You're a 60 year old, straight, white male. What would you watch? A 3 hour, NC-17, dark, french film or a 2 hour, PG-13, American film by a famous director? And don't bring up the Amour argument that some people on ADF are. Amour was a film that catered towards the Academy demographic. It was hip and auteur enough that the small minority of young people loved it (they'll love blue too), but it also had appropriate subject matter and gravitas to make the regular Academy connect with it and love it. It also helps that Haneke's Haneke and Kechiche is well Kechiche.

I would most certaintly watch a film that won the Palme D'or specifically rewarded to its 2 actresses and director............ Edited by Godzilla

I would most certaintly watch a film that won the Palme D'or specifically rewarded to its 2 actresses and director............

Oh, think logically for a moment. I'm not asking about you. I'm asking about the average Academy member. (And you have to remember, until recently, Palme D'Or doesn't do well with Oscar). They wouldn't touch Blue with a 50 foot pole if they could watch things like Monuments Men, August, American Hustle, and even Shitler. And Sundance, unlikely Harvey or Barker, can't do jack shit about fixing it.