Impact

Best Actress-2013

Oh, think logically for a moment. I'm not asking about you. I'm asking about the average Academy member. (And you have to remember, until recently, Palme D'Or doesn't do well with Oscar). They wouldn't touch Blue with a 50 foot pole if they could watch things like Monuments Men, August, American Hustle, and even Shitler. And Sundance, unlikely Harvey or Barker, can't do jack shit about fixing it.

There are enough cinephiles in the Academy for this to get in for BP like last year with Amour or Beasts of the Southern Wild. There are also members that only watch mainstream films. The Palme D'or did certainly bring awareness to Blue is the Warmest Colour in the public.

There are enough cinephiles in the Academy for this to get in for BP like last year with Amour or Beasts of the Southern Wild. There are also members that only watch mainstream films. The Palme D'or did certainly bring awareness to Blue is the Warmest Colour in the public.

:lol: Amour and Beasts are totally different stories. Beasts was American, which automatically places it much higher than Blue. And Amour was by Michael Haneke, who's name actually caries a decent amount of weight unlike Kechiche. Then Amour was picked up by Sony Pictures Classics. (I really don't understand why you guys don't get the significance of that.) And Beasts of the Southern Wild was Fox Searchlight. And then there's Sundance Selects for Blue. Pitiful distributor with no record of successes. They're the ugly stupid step-sister of IFC, which is already the ugly step-sister of the real oscar distributors. Barker, Harvey, and etc. wouldn't touch the film with a 50 foot pole. I think that says something. I do not believe that if either of those two saw potential, especially Barker, in Blue that they wouldn't snap it up for whatever it cost. Especially with the raves, I think that if Harvey really wanted it he would've paid in excess of 7-10 million for the film. (Remember, he paid 6.6 for Philomena) The fact that no reputable Oscar distributor picked it up says something. 

ric underestimates to a degree how much lesbian sex can appeal to guys.

Only if people see it. 

:lol: Amour and Beasts are totally different stories. Beasts was American, which automatically places it much higher than Blue. And Amour was by Michael Haneke, who's name actually caries a decent amount of weight unlike Kechiche. Then Amour was picked up by Sony Pictures Classics. (I really don't understand why you guys don't get the significance of that.) And Beasts of the Southern Wild was Fox Searchlight. And then there's Sundance Selects for Blue. Pitiful distributor with no record of successes. They're the ugly stupid step-sister of IFC, which is already the ugly step-sister of the real oscar distributors. Barker, Harvey, and etc. wouldn't touch the film with a 50 foot pole. I think that says something. I do not believe that if either of those two saw potential, especially Barker, in Blue that they wouldn't snap it up for whatever it cost. Especially with the raves, I think that if Harvey really wanted it he would've paid in excess of 7-10 million for the film. (Remember, he paid 6.6 for Philomena) The fact that no reputable Oscar distributor picked it up says something. Only if people see it.

If the passion is there, then this can be nominated for the major rewards. All they need is a couple hundred votes to get a BP, BActress and screenplay nods. Which I think is very achievable if they send out screenings to the AMPA members. A lot of the AMPA members want to nominate obscure films and they actively seek out these screenings. Some of them might be excited to see the film that won the Palme D'or (One of the most prestigious awards in the industry)

If the passion is there, then this can be nominated for the major rewards. All they need is a couple hundred votes to get a BP, BActress and screenplay nods. Which I think is very achievable if they send out screenings to the AMPA members. A lot of the AMPA members want to nominate obscure films and they actively seek out these screenings. Some of them might be excited to see the film that won the Palme D'or (One of the most prestigious awards in the industry)

Yeah. The passion might be there, but not amongst the Academy members. Not yet at least. It might work if Sundance puts up a good campaign, but the odds of that are next to nil. Not only does Sundance not have the resources (money, good Oscar publicists, and etc.) they also don't have the reputation. I mean it's a subsidiary of IFC. Getting picked up by IFC is literally Oscar oblivion. 

IFC has only had one nomination since 2002-for foreign film for some film called After the Wedding. That is it.

Sundance Selects hasn't had a film with reception like Blue yet. All I'm saying is that people shouldn't write off this film's chances so early............

Sundance Selects hasn't had a film with reception like Blue yet. All I'm saying is that people shouldn't write off this film's chances so early............

And all the reception it gets is negated by the fact that it's in fucking French. If it was in English then yes, I do think that Sundance could actually get it somewhere. But, this is a film that can't even be nominated for Foreign Film. This film was pretty much destined to not get anywhere but the NSFC and LAFCA from the moment Sundance picked it up.

Why can't it be nominated?

Edit: I'm guessing it came out last year in France.

Well a) The Committee isn't going to select it regardless. (I believe, from what I hear, that Le Passe will be tapped ) and B) it comes out too late in France. It needed to be out by I think the end of either September or October to have been eligible for consideration. It's not going to be out in time.

Edited by riczhang

Posted Image

Robert Redford, February 2015 :

And The oscar goes to Miss Williams for " I got all wet for a Nazi at night".

I can see that happening. 

And right now, I'm thinking that Bullock could possibly win. I don't think Blashitto's as secure as people think she is. Her movie already came out months ago and its BP chances are now slim to none and I think the buzz will fade eventually. 

A Blanchett/Sabu  confrontation would be great.

The actress of the people vs the actress of the critics/film snobs.

Very nice contrast.

My vote goes for Sabu obviously.

I think it might end up being Sabu/Streep/Whatever other contender. 

I just don't think Blanshitto will end up winning. The movie came out too early, and everything this season and then some hitting the mark (12YAS, Prisoners, Kill Your Darlings, Gravity, Philomena (hello Volpi) and etc. etc. etc. Nothing's hugely disappointed yet. And We know that August Delivers (At least I do based on industry and test screenings) and DOR won't disappoint with American Hustle.), and Monuments Men look like it's going nowhere atm besides Tech and possibly screenplay. So in conclusion, I think Blue Jasmine will die buzz wise and Blanshitto will end up being the film's only nomination besides possibly screenplay just because it's woody. I don't think she can win with that little support for the film. I think Jasmine at least needs BP, which isn't happening, for Blanshitto to win.