Impact

Best Supporting Actor-2013

Franco is already getting some internet buzz but it is unlikely that this performance will be considered by the academy. Anyway I am #TeamFranco. This is a very interesting role as compared to mostly boring, paint-by-numbers roles that academy nominates every year.

http://www.hitfix.com/in-contention/so-james-franco-spring-breakers-best-supporting-actor

Here, he carves out a character modeled on South Florida rapper Dangeruss (though Houston-grown nightmare RiFF RaFF sure would like to take the credit -- the look of the character has obvious parallels). He's as magnetic as he is repulsive, which, again, plays into theme. He also has a soft sort of core that I think few critics are bothering to investigate.

There's a sense of loss in Alien, a longing buried deep in his "Look at my sheeit!" fronting. It's no wonder he proclaims, believably, that the film's anti-heroines are his soul mates: they're as full of loss and longing as he is. These people have holes they're looking to fill (um…no pun intended). Some are equipped with the emotional wherewithal to seek it out in the right places, others aren't. But what are the right places, really?

The point is, Franco negotiates a spirited character amid all that blacklit gaudiness. And I think he deserves awards attention for what he's accomplished. Charismatic portrayals that could have been mere ciphers have tickled the season's fancy in the past, from Ned Beatty in "Network" to Kevin Kline in "A Fish Called Wanda" to Robert Downey Jr. in "Tropic Thunder" and Heath Ledger in "The Dark Knight." Why not Franco?

Edited by TLK
  • Like 1

Doubt it will be rememered-but Ford for 42. (Though it will probably end up like The Rookie aka too early in the year)BTW-Hanks would go for lead for Mr. Banks...I wonder who is going to be Julie Andrews in that?

• Like 1

My prediction is that Monuments Men is going to be one of the biggest disappointments of the year. Sony is rushing this and I just don't see Clooney being able to deliver a quality product on their time table. From what I understand the shooting will last into late June and any serious contender needs to have the screeners ready by Thanksgiving. How is Clooney going to get the movie ready when he has other commitments too (Gravity opens in October).

My prediction is that Monuments Men is going to be one of the biggest disappointments of the year. Sony is rushing this and I just don't see Clooney being able to deliver a quality product on their time table. From what I understand the shooting will last into late June and any serious contender needs to have the screeners ready by Thanksgiving. How is Clooney going to get the movie ready when he has other commitments too (Gravity opens in October).

Late June? Oh my. It'll probably get delayed. I doubt that Clooney would want to deliver less than quality product to Sony. Plus, he's gonna have to campaign like crazy already this season even without Monuments Men. He's producing (and was heavily involved in) August: Osage County, and he's doing Gravity. So, that's pretty much non stop press from the end of August to the end of February. 

Then it is written. David O. Russell will win.  :D

Doubt it will be rememered-but Ford for 42. (Though it will probably end up like The Rookie aka too early in the year)BTW-Hanks would go for lead for Mr. Banks...I wonder who is going to be Julie Andrews in that?

I really hope Ford is nominated. He was incredible in 42. He really made me believe that he was the owner of the Dodgers, not Han Solo or Indiana Jones. I would see the move for many reasons again, but especially for his performance.

if 42 is a big hit, the studio campaigns the shit out of Ford and Ford is willing to make all those schmooze&booze campaign circuits, critics keep him alive by lavishing critical noms on him, he could happen. Elderly actors fare very well in this category and Ford was one of the biggest stars and  who also had one Oscar nom. I see no reason why they wouldn`t salute him by giving him the octogen spot that goes to Plummers, Arkins,etc.  

Then it is written. David O. Russell will win.  :D

DOR is due and I don`t have faith in Monuments Men either. It sounds like a light fare, a fun Oceans-like all-star caper set in WW2, not as an Oscar material. But I guess that anything with El Senor in it automatically gets mistaken for serious and Oscary. I don`t recall Oscar talk before she landed the part. Fuckin ADF and their obession.

• Like 1