Impact

Best supporting actress-2013

Jenelle Riley ‏@jenelleriley 3h

SAG screening of August: Osage County--when title cards came up, biggest applause wasn't for Meryl or Julia, but Margo Martindale.

Retweeted by Kristopher Tapley

Margo is a well-respected character actress and has worked with lots of people when she won an EMMY for Justified, lots of people were cheering for her. So it's not a surprised that in SAG she would get the biggest response. Would love to see her nominated though but not holding my breath

Rome Film Festival: ‘Her’s Scarlett Johansson Named Best Actress For V.O. Performance, ‘Dallas Buyers Club,’ Matthew McConaughey Also Nab Awards

The eighth Rome Film Festival closed last night and unveiled its winners naming Scarlett Johansson Best Actress for Spike Jonze’s Her, in which Johansson voices a Siri-like Operating System but doesn’t appear onscreen. That’s a nice early accolade for Warner Bros., which releases the romance in limited release December 18 before expanding in January. And it’s the first step in what Deadline’s Pete Hammond predicted could be a groundbreaking awards season coup for Johansson’s voice-over performance in the pic. Also nabbing top honors out of Rome were Kiyoshi Kurosawa, who won Best Director for Sebunsu kodo (Seventh Code), and Dallas Buyers Club, which landed Matthew McConaughey the Best Actor prize and also won the Audience Award. Scott Cooper’s Out of the Furnace was named best first or second feature. Scroll down for full winners:

I wouldn't mind Scarlett getting a nomination if she had been in the movie from the beginning instead of replacing Samantha Morton in the post-production. It was Samantha who was on the set, acting with Joaquin. It was her voice Joaquin is seen reacting to so it would feel cheating giving Johansson a nomination while totally ignoring Morton's work in building the character.

Can't buy all this Scarlett talk. This category is not that weak. We have already two sure things (Lupita and Oprah), and a fierce fight of five strong actresses for the remaining three spots (Sarah Paulson, Margo Martindale, June Squibb, Octavia Spencer and Jennifer Lawrence). Behind are actrresses that will also get strong support (Lea Seydoux, Sally Hawkins, Julia Roberts...).

• Like 1

Can't buy all this Scarlett talk. This category is not that weak. We have already two sure things (Lupita and Oprah), and a fierce fight of five strong actresses for the remaining three spots (Sarah Paulson, Margo Martindale, June Squibb, Octavia Spencer and Jennifer Lawrence). Behind are actrresses that will also get strong support (Lea Seydoux, Sally Hawkins, Julia Roberts...).

I think Lawrence is a near lock as well. Reviews have been good.

Well if Academy really loves the movie and Johannson's work in it (and they might just love it, the early reviews are sky high), I don't think Squibb, Martindale, Spencer or JLaw will be able to absolutely and necessarily stand in the way. I agree that Nyong'o and Oprah are pretty much locked, but anything can happen with the remaining three spots. 

Aliens invading Earth is more probable than Scarlett receiving a nom for Her.

Well, I'll just prepare supplies and weapons in the basement... you know... just in case shit starts going down the day the nominations are announced.

Really? I don't get the big deal there. I mean, he's got a good speech at the end but it's not the best that's ever been or anything.

It wasn't the best he's ever been but he's still O'Toole, the legend who somehow got away never winning an Oscar