riczhang

85th Academy Awards Ceremony Thread SADNESS

Movies win Picture for a number of reasons. Quality is only part of it. There's campaigning and politics to boot. Argo simply clicked on those fronts this year. In the end, you obviously don't feel it was worthy of the win. I thought it was one of the best films of last year. Bottom line is we fundamentally disagree on the film itself so we could go back and forth all night about it without accomplishing anything. IT'S ALL SUBJECTIVE.

• Like 1

Movies win Picture for a number of reasons. Quality is only part of it. There's campaigning and politics to boot. Argo simply clicked on those fronts this year. In the end, you obviously don't feel it was worthy of the win. I thought it was one of the best films of last year. Bottom line is we fundamentally disagree on the film itself so we could go back and forth all night about it without accomplishing anything. IT'S ALL SUBJECTIVE.

Except you're missing my whole point. I'm not saying Argo was undeserving because it wasn't my personal favorite, I'm saying it was undeserving because it won nothing else but editing and screenplay. That makes no sense considering all the other elements of a movie. Of which directing and acting are arguably the most important, and Argo didn't even have nominations in most of those categories! True Pi didn't have acting recognition either, but they gave it almost all the other big awards, so how could they not give it BP if they're gonna give it so much else? Directing+visuals+how it was shot+music should be more than enough to equal BP. If they had given it adapted screenplay then it REALLY would have made no sense not to win BP. It just shows that Argo's BP win was merely political for the Affleck snub, and otherwise there's no chance it would have won. That's why the Academy's decision was so flawed last night.

Except you're missing my whole point. I'm not saying Argo was undeserving because it wasn't my personal favorite, I'm saying it was undeserving because it won nothing else but editing and screenplay. That makes no sense considering all the other elements of a movie. Of which directing and acting are arguably the most important, and Argo didn't even have nominations in most of those categories! True Pi didn't have acting recognition either, but they gave it almost all the other big awards, so how could they not give it BP if they're gonna give it so much else? Directing+visuals+how it was shot+music should be more than enough to equal BP. If they had given it adapted screenplay then it REALLY would have made no sense not to win BP. It just shows that Argo's BP win was merely political for the Affleck snub, and otherwise there's no chance it would have won. That's why the Academy's decision was so flawed last night.

The Oscars don't work that way. En toto, they are not voted on in a rational or logical manner, otherwise you might as well give all the awards to the Best Picture winner.

Edited by Telemachos

The Oscars don't work that way. Otherwise, you might as well give all the awards to the Best Picture winner.

Well usually they do give most of the big awards to the BP winner, so I'm not sure what you mean by the "oscars don't work that way." I mean does anyone know how many times a movie has won BP without an acting, directing, sound, AND visual award (cinematography, art direction, effects, makeup, etc)? I bet it's not very many.

Edited by IronMan89

Well usually they do give most of the big awards to the BP winner, so I'm not sure what you mean by the "oscars don't work that way." I mean does anyone know how many times a movie has won BP without an acting, directing, sound, AND visual award (cinematography, art direction, effects, makeup, etc)? I bet it's not very many.

This was an odd year. It's not written in stone that a movie needs those to win.

This was an odd year. It's not written in stone that a movie needs those to win.

Well obviously nothing is written in stone at the Oscars, I'm just saying the Argo BP win doesn't make a lick of sense, except as a political move to make up for the Affleck snub backlash. And to me that's not the way the Academy should operate, and it lessens the prestige of the award.

:lol: You guys should all kowtow to my Awards knowledge. :P

And no, I don't watch old ceremonies. I watch entire ceremonies only twice. Once on oscar night, and once the night before the following oscars. And, I never rewatch Oscar clips except for Meryl clips.

So then since you're an awards expert can you answer my question as to how many BP winners bedsides Argo don't have a single acting, directing, visual, or sound award? I'm really curious if it's ever even happened.

Well obviously nothing is written in stone at the Oscars, I'm just saying the Argo BP win doesn't make a lick of sense, except as a political move to make up for the Affleck snub backlash. And to me that's not the way the Academy should operate, and it lessens the prestige of the award.

Sure it makes sense. People either liked the movie the most, or it was less objectable as a backup choice than the others.

Boring show last night and really illustrated that the Academy makes no sense anymore. Waltz wins for more or less the same performance he won for just 3 years ago, and Argo carries its pity party all the way to Best Picture which was entirely expected but still annoying. How can a movie be Best Picture when the only other significant award it wins is screenplay? And pretty much no directing or acting recognition? Meanwhile LOP wins VFX, score, cinematography, and directing (essentially everything that makes up a movie aside from  screenplay and acting) and doesn't win BP? Not that I'm saying I think LOP was the most deserving to win, but based on the other awards it won it made zero sense why it wouldn't win BP. And I think giving the award to Lee and not giving him BP for a second straight time was more insulting than if they hadn't given the award to him at all. On the plus side I was happy for Lawrence and Hathaway (even though Field was the better performance) and downright ecstatic Snore-More got shut out aside from Foreign. :D

Snore-More :P