riczhang

85th Academy Awards Ceremony Thread SADNESS

Sure it makes sense. People either liked the movie the most, or it was less objectable as a backup choice than the others.

Why would they like it the most though if they don't like any individual elements about it the most? I just really don't see how it can be anything other than pity for the Affleck snub. I mean are you in all genuine honesty telling me the movie would have still won BP if Affleck had made the director noms and there was no snub backlash? I just really find that incredibly hard to believe.

• Like 2

So then since you're an awards expert can you answer my question as to how many BP winners bedsides Argo don't have a single acting, directing, visual, or sound award? I'm really curious if it's ever even happened.

Grand Hotel. Was only nominated for BP. 

Edited by riczhang
  • Like 1

Well obviously nothing is written in stone at the Oscars, I'm just saying the Argo BP win doesn't make a lick of sense, except as a political move to make up for the Affleck snub backlash. And to me that's not the way the Academy should operate, and it lessens the prestige of the award.

Welcome to the Oscars. Argo is a great film, so what's the problem?

• Like 1

Why would they like it the most though if they don't like any individual elements about it the most? I just really don't see how it can be anything other than pity for the Affleck snub. I mean are you in all genuine honesty telling me the movie would have still won BP if Affleck had made the director noms and there was no snub backlash? I just really find that incredibly hard to believe.

Because to many people a movie can be more than the sum of its technical parts. It's not to say they didn't like the technical aspects, merely that they felt they didn't distinguish themselves beyond the other nominees.

ARGO was liked enough that if Affleck had been nominated for BD, he would've won and not Ang Lee.

• Like 1

Because to many people a movie can be more than the sum of its technical parts. It's not to say they didn't like the technical aspects, merely that they felt they didn't distinguish themselves beyond the other nominees.

ARGO was liked enough that if Affleck had been nominated for BD, he would've won and not Ang Lee.

All evidence to the contrary though on that last statement, since Argo and Affleck were considered out of the race and hadn't won much of anything before the Affleck snub. We could argue round and round on it and never know for sure, but how can it just be coincidental that the movie only became the frontrunner after the backlash from the snub, and then goes on to win BP at the Oscars in a manner that has never happened in modern Oscar history?

I heard that 70% of Beasts of the southern wild's VFX shots were made by art students for free.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=59&t=1095106&page=1&pp=15

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2013/02/21/the-students-who-schooled-the-oscars-in-the-art-of-special-effects/

What the hell?!

Edited by dashrendar44

All evidence to the contrary though on that last statement, since Argo and Affleck were considered out of the race and hadn't won much of anything before the Affleck snub. We could argue round and round on it and never know for sure, but how can it just be coincidental that the movie only became the frontrunner after the backlash from the snub, and then goes on to win BP at the Oscars in a manner that has never happened in modern Oscar history?

Of course we'll never know with absolute certainty. But what you're talking about are critics awards, which are almost meaningless when it comes to the Oscars. We also only have a few years with the preferential voting system, which definitely changes the equation about who can win BP. And while it's fairly rare to win BP with only a couple other awards, there are several times where a movie does so and only wins one or two other significant awards (director, screenplay, actor, actress, editing): DRIVING MISS DAISY got Actress/Screenplay, CHARIOTS OF FIRE got Screenplay, etc.

I heard that 70% of Beasts of the southern wild's VFX shots were made by art students for free.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=59&t=1095106&page=1&pp=15

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2013/02/21/the-students-who-schooled-the-oscars-in-the-art-of-special-effects/

What the hell?!

BEASTS is kinda a separate category, since it was a ridiculously cheap movie and it's not uncommon for producers to reach out to schools for that type of work: it's a great way for students to work on an actual production (VERY different from a school project) and it gives them great stuff for their reel (extremely important for future work). That's quite different from a major feature like, well, pretty much any movie nominated for Best VFX or in the top 1% of box-office grossers for the year.

BEASTS is kinda a separate category, since it was a ridiculously cheap movie and it's not uncommon for producers to reach out to schools for that type of work: it's a great way for students to work on an actual production (VERY different from a school project) and it gives them great stuff for their reel (extremely important for future work). That's quite different from a major feature like, well, pretty much any movie nominated for Best VFX or in the top 1% of box-office grossers for the year.

That's exploitation. The movie is an Indie darling hit and Oscar contender that made profits. Not some ameuteurish student film.

That's why VFX industry is kind of doomed and Digital Domain/Rythm & Hues went bankrupt. CG artists are being exploited since their student courses. And yet, all Hollywood movies features massive VFX galore front and center to appeal to audience.

Edited by dashrendar44

Pretty much. These kids have something pretty substantial to put on their CV now. Working on the sets of Beasts, 4 time Oscar nominee. Picture, Director, Actor, Screenplay. 

• Like 1

That's exploitation. The movie is an Indie darling hit and Oscar contende that made profits. Not some ameuteurish student film.

It was never meant to be an Oscar contender. It could actually be considered to be and construed to be an amateur film. 

It was never meant to be an Oscar contender. It could actually be considered to be and construed to be an amateur film. 

That's illegal.

http://governmentinfo.wordpress.com/2010/04/23/u-s-labor-department-releases-new-internship-rules/

Amateurish movie? with a $1.4 million dollar budget and being picked up to make profits in theaters and compete major awards. Yeah, right. That seems pretty professional for me.

Studios know how to cut salaries and VFX budgets now. Give it to students to do it for free and let the cash flow.

Edited by dashrendar44