Ezen Baklattan

Studio Ghibli Appreciation Thread

What is your favorite Studio Ghibli movie?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Studio Ghibli movie?

• Castle In The Sky
    • Grave Of The Fireflies
    • My Neighbor Totoro
    • Kiki's Delivery Service
    • Porco Rosso
    • Pom Poko
    • Princess Monomoke
    • Sprited Away
    • Howl's Moving Castle
    • Ponyo
    • The Secret World Of Arrietty
    • Other (Be sure to mention it!)

When "When Marnie was There" finally came to an arthouse theatre near me. It's fairly slow at the start, but definitely picks up a lot. Love the ending. 

Have yet to see most of the non super famous ones though, might sit down for a marathon of them at some point.

• Like 1

I love most Ghibli films I've seen, though I've not seen quite a few I must admit. My favourite is Ponyo - though it's a close match really between that and a few others.

Least favourite is The Cat Returns, it's not wholly bad, but it's definitely not on par with Ghibli's other movies.

I've only seen Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, Howl's Moving Castle, When Marnie Was There, and The Wind Rises. Can't really pick a favourite right now between Princess Mononoke and The Wind Rises. Saw them both fairly recently.

TIFF will be showing all of the Ghibli films during the winter holidays, planning on seeing some of the ones I've haven't seen yet. Right now I'm thinking Nausicaä, Grave of the Fireflies, My Neighbor Totoro, Whisper of the Heart, Ponyo, Arietty, and The Tale of Princess Kayuga. (Open to being persuaded on the merits of others though!) Think I'd also like to rewatch Mononoke and The Wind Rises on the big screen.

My favorite as a child was Kiki but...I haven't seen it since I was a child. 

Kaguya is the only one I own on physical media because it's such a visual departure, there's such a relaxing quality to it, there's nothing I do not like about it (maybe it's a touch too long? No, it tells the story in that time, not a lot of dawdling).

I hardly remember Laputa besides the scenery, not a real memorable one for me.

When Marnie Was There was really impressive to me. Maybe twenty minutes of positivity and a lot of 'Well, life is a downer, huh.' But in the end it does start looking up, I appreciate that.

Spirited Away was lovely, I'm angry it took so long to watch it. A visual and audio delight. People criticize Chihiro too harshly, but she learns a good lesson.

I think Grave of the Fireflies is possibly the shortest one here, almost to its detriment. it felt like it went to hell (in an appropriate way, fitting with the tale) really quickly after an hour of almost irritatingly slow buildup. It's still sad of course, I cried at a lot of the lingering shots near the end.

I really want to see The Wind Rises and The Cat Returns.

• Like 1