baumer

Jack the Giant Slayer (2013)

24 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

This movie didn't work for me. There were some parts I liked about it, but for the most part I was bored to death. Felt like the CGI on the giants was very poorly done. My friends and I all could tell the giants were completely CGI'd. I would have liked to seen more practical effects with the Giants I:e real actors playing the giants with Make-up and only adding CGI effects when needed. Also, what gives with the costume of the King in this movie? Looked like a mascot for Burger King! Couldn't keep a straight face when Ian Mcshane appeared with that gold-costume on. Nicholas Hoult was good. He has a bit more to do in this movie than in Warm Bodies. I also enjoyed Stanley Tucci, he always gives good performances. He was a total dick-bag. The princess played by Eleanor Tomlinson was very-wooden. She is a total babe, but her acting was HORRIBLE. The movie had a promising opening, but the plot was poorly executed. Felt too much like a looney-tunes special.

I'd give it a C. 

Edited by FilmBuff

It was ok. Not as bad as some reviews pegged it to be but it wasn't as fun as I thought it would be. It seemed well enough as an adventure fairy tale story. Hoult is pretty good as Jack. Tomlinson looked the part of the princess. Tucci was great as a villain and he looked like he was having a great time. McGreggor was even better IMO. Action sequences seemed good. Giants were not that believable and I thought they seemed more disgusting than menacing. And I just kept on thinking where the hell did the 195M budget go?Overall 6.5/10

There are a couple of problems with it but overall I pretty much liked it. Hoult seems like he could make a name for himself in the future. 

7/10

I saw it as it was leaving my theater  - guess with GI Joe was coming

Anyway, yeah there were some weak spots, but I liked most of the characters. And I liked the one scene a lot when the house and the girl go up the first bean stalk.

PS. And I am a sucker for this kind of love story, where 2 mismatches come together.

I really wanted to like and I was really looking forward. But I can't lie to myself, the movie was disappointing and I want to believe that it was WB fault, they wanted to make a family movie (evidenced by the second trailer and the new title) and Singer, apparently, wanted to make a serious movie (the teaser makes me believe in this assumption)

5.5/10

C+

Edited by Goffe Luvs 1D
  • Like 1

Eh, despite some good visual effects, I found most of the movie kind of dull. It's nothing against the actors as they didn't have much to work with, but this is yet another instance where I found it hard to really get into a movie where the primary villains are CGI.

**/*****, (D+, 4.2/10, 1.75/4)

mmmm it took me  two tries to watch this, first time after intro i gave up seeing how fake and sat scifi film animation looked , the 2nd time i got passed it and watched it , princess was meh , nicholas hoult is turning into quite the cutie pie, can't believe he use to be a kid aww, i couldnt believe ewan mcgregor was in this , probably what made me stick with the film and his role was pretty good!

wasnt bad wasnt wow either 

gave it a B- , a movie really has to be bad with no saving grace in my eyes , or a mockery of everything i hold dear in magic of movie-making  or plain boring for me to consider giving it a  C or worse

Finally saw this - an ok fantasy, with a nice straightforward story. They could have cut about 10-15minutes, especially at the beginning and during the battle, plus having the end "gag" was a really unlucky decision, the movie should end as a fairytale. Otherwise, the story has drive and there is some nice set and costume design; the CGI was part very good, but mostly weak; the giant's movement was too fast I think, so they lost some impact. I found Jack (Hoult) very un-charming; Isabel (Tomlinson) and especially Elmont (McGregor) were better - in fact this might be McGregor's most fun performance since Big Fish. I also liked Eddie Marsan (Crawe); sadly he was offed very early but someone had to go I guess to keep the characters manageable.

Eh, despite some good visual effects, I found most of the movie kind of dull. It's nothing against the actors as they didn't have much to work with, but this is yet another instance where I found it hard to really get into a movie where the primary villains are CGI.

**/*****, (D+, 4.2/10, 1.75/4)

Its actually  very outdated FX from Digital Domain. I don't understand why they had a such a big budget of 195M. If this job was given to WETA, they could have easily done much better FX than this, for a budget of 40-50M! :lol:

• Like 1

Yeah, I don't understand where that money went because certainly that cast didn't cost very much. Maybe rolled into that budget was the advertising? I know Warner tried selling the hell out of it...

DD was crumbled by bankruptcy, last year they were bought by a different company. But their FX is too outdated. Its better to shut down the company rather than making such FX. Enders game looks some bad CGI as well.

I just saw the movie and gave it a C.

It was better than I thought.  Based on WOM, I was expecting a D/E. 

Pluses: Nicholas Hoult, the main protagonist was a good casting choice.  I thought he did a great job.  I also dug the romance between him and the Princess.  For some strange reason I liked the fact that the movie took its time with the slow climb up the beanstalk by the kings men and the villain.  I felt T-Rex scene in Jurassic Park like tension.

Negatives: Bad CGI.  Unrealistic reaction to the beanstalk and giants.  After the princess' disappearance from the castle and transformation of the beanstalk, the king and his entourage were talking to Jack as if the giant beanstalk wasn't there.  No sense of extreme horror/amazement.  

The biggest problem with this is that it doesn't seem to know what it wants to be. The romance is written like a Disney movie and the giants are walking cartoons, but at the same time there are a lot of grim sequences and one moment clearly trying to ape Jurassic Park's famous T-Rex scene. Who were they actually targeting with this? It's too dark and violent for kids yet too stupid and childish for adults. I can see why it bombed.

Ewan McGregor is the most entertaining part even though his character is completely out of place.

Edited by C00k13