Well I'm a Disney stockholder (though not a big enough one to make a difference, obviously). I'd love it if Pixar killed the Cars franchise now. As is, I'm bracing for Cars 3. Need to keep Cars Land viable I suppose. *sigh*

The people at PIXAR (especially John Lasseter) love the Cars world and wanted to expand on it. While Cars 2 may not have worked for a lot of people the fact is that a lot of effort went into it. The Blu Ray special features and the book "The Art of Cars 2" really shows this.

I've seen it, and I'm willing to answer any questions. A few thoughts-

- Please don't fear, this is a good movie. It's just.. different.. for Pixar. Different from Tangled and HTTYD too (which this movie will inevitably be compared to). I'm still processing it. Not the studio's best, but it definitely ranks with their filmography minus the Cars franchise.

- The visuals are dazzling (obviously) and the score/songs are beautiful and feel authentic.

- It definitely felt like a movie of two creative visions, with Chapman's revolving around the emotional mother/daughter relationship and Andrews's with the silly Scottish humor. That's not a real problem, though.

- The first half hour, which the marketing highlights, works perfectly. And then it turns into something I wasn't really anticipating. Doesn't mean it isn't good... it's intimate, but it's also disjointed in areas. Like it knows what it has to do but doesn't quite know how to pull it off. It works best when it's at its darkest but it tends to pull back sometimes, before arriving at a relatively satisfying finale.

- Word of mouth will be good (probably as strong as any Pixar movie among families), but based on the sheer amount of people who turned up at the screening tonight (800 or so), I'm expecting a strong opening next week.

- They showed a Monsters University teaser. It's really just one joke, which still got a great response. I can already feel how unnecessary the movie is. At least Wreck It Ralph also got a great response.

- I adored La Luna.

- Grade: B+. Expect to hear 'problematic... for a Pixar film' a lot next week. But I definitely want to see it again.

I've seen it, and I'm willing to answer any questions. A few thoughts-

- Please don't fear, this is a good movie. It's just.. different.. for Pixar. Different from Tangled and HTTYD too (which this movie will inevitably be compared to). I'm still processing it. Not the studio's best, but it definitely ranks with their filmography minus the Cars franchise.

- The visuals are dazzling (obviously) and the score/songs are beautiful and feel authentic.

- It definitely felt like a movie of two creative visions, with Chapman's revolving around the emotional mother/daughter relationship and Andrews's with the silly Scottish humor. That's not a real problem, though.

- The first half hour, which the marketing highlights, works perfectly. And then it turns into something I wasn't really anticipating. Doesn't mean it isn't good... it's intimate, but it's also disjointed in areas. Like it knows what it has to do but doesn't quite know how to pull it off. It works best when it's at its darkest but it tends to pull back sometimes, before arriving at a relatively satisfying finale.

- Word of mouth will be good (probably as strong as any Pixar movie among families), but based on the sheer amount of people who turned up at the screening tonight (800 or so), I'm expecting a strong opening next week.

- They showed a Monsters University teaser. It's really just one joke, which still got a great response. I can already feel how unnecessary the movie is. At least Wreck It Ralph also got a great response.

- I adored La Luna.

- Grade: B+. Expect to hear 'problematic... for a Pixar film' a lot next week. But I definitely want to see it again.

Nice, thanks Gopher.

It sounds like it needed just more time. I bet they'd have resolved a lot of these issues about being "disjointed" (which some of the RT reviews also say) if they had a couple more months. Oh well... It also sounds like Mark Andrews didn't exactly solve the story issues Chapman was facing perfectly, so it sucks that Pixar had to take her off the helm and will now possibly lose her.

Confused at this part - you say WOM will probably be good, but we'll hear "problematic... for a Pixar movie" a lot as well? How does that work?

Edited by whoot

It sounds like it needed just more time. I bet they'd have resolved a lot of these issues about being "disjointed" (which some of the RT reviews also say) if they had a couple more months. Oh well... It also sounds like Mark Andrews didn't exactly solve the story issues Chapman was facing perfectly, so it sucks that Pixar had to take her off the helm and will now possibly lose her.

I agree. There's a heart to this movie that genuinely works and there are scenes that hit it very well. It's just getting to these moments that it sometimes falters. It gets away with a lot because it's a fairy tale.

Confused at this part - you say WOM will probably be good, but we'll hear "problematic... for a Pixar movie" a lot as well? How does that work?

From the audience's response it felt like a real crowdpleaser. Lots of laughs at the right moments, particularly around the triplets. The real criticism will come from, um, critics.