I'm very excited for Brave, but I'm far from sold that it'll be another Pixar masterpiece.

It doesn't even have to be a masterpiece though, this year looks pretty weak for animation. Aside from maybe Frankenweenie what else could pose any kind of threat to taking the Best Animated Feature Oscar from Brave?

Pirates is out of the picture, I think. If Arthur Christmas couldn't get in, I don't see how Pirates does.

But there is also ParaNorman, Wreck-It Ralph, and Rise of the Guardians, and probably something foreign that we don't know about yet.

Its story and villain were way off - and it didn't have enough of the genuine laughs of other Aardmans to save it. Arthur Christmas was much better, even Flushed Away was better. As I said, 50% tops, but critics are still Aardman's bitchiz.

It doesn't even have to be a masterpiece though, this year looks pretty weak for animation. Aside from maybe Frankenweenie what else could pose any kind of threat to taking the Best Animated Feature Oscar from Brave?

I see his point though. While Cars 2 turned out to be profitable it did tarnish Pixar's AAA reputation, just as A Bugs Life did. I haven't seen Cars 2 but the critical and audience response was near unanimous in that it was one of Pixar's weaker offerings. Two consecutive toons that don't meet Pixar's traditional standard of excellent could have long-term deleterious effect on the brand. Pixar very quickly bounced back from ABL with Toy Story 2 and Monsters, Inc and I expect Brave and Monsters University to repair the company's reputation.

I see his point though. While Cars 2 turned out to be profitable it did tarnish Pixar's AAA reputation, just as A Bugs Life did. I haven't seen Cars 2 but the critical and audience response was near unanimous in that it was one of Pixar's weaker offerings. Two consecutive toons that don't meet Pixar's traditional standard of excellent could have long-term deleterious effect on the brand. Pixar very quickly bounced back from ABL with Toy Story 2 and Monsters, Inc and I expect Brave and Monsters University to repair the company's reputation.

A Bug's Life is nowhere near the offender Cars 2 was. I seem to remember when it originally came out it was hailed as a masterpiece just like Toy Story was, and it's still got a 92%/7.9 on RT. It's only evolved as the "second-worst" because people got tired of always saying Cars.

Edited by tribefan695

Track titles from Doyle's score.

01. "Touch the Sky" (Performed by Julie Fowlis)

02. "Into the Open Air" (Performed by Julie Fowlis)

03. "Learn Me Right" (Performed by Birdy – with Mumford & Sons)

04. "Fate and Destiny" (score)

05. "The Games" (score)

06. "I Am Merida" (score)

07. "Remember to Smile" (score)

08. "Merida Rides Away" (score)

09. "The Witch’s Cottage" (score)

10. "Song of Mor’du" (Performed by Billy Connolly and Cast)

11. "Through the Castle" (score)

12. "Legends Are Lessons" (score)

13. "Show Us the Way" (score)

14. "Mum Goes Wild" (score)

15. "In Her Heart" (score)

16. "Noble Maiden Fair (A Mhaighdean Bhan Uasal)" (Performed by Emma Thompson and Peigi Barker)

17. "Not Now!" (score)

18. "Get the Key" (score)

19. "We’ve Both Changed" (score)

20. "Merida’s Home" (score)

Does anyone else think that even if the movie is really good and opens strong (60-70 mil range) that it's legs could be cut out pretty good by the 3rd weekend TASM, 4th weekend Ice Age, 5th weekend TDKR? Drops in the 40s is a big difference from drops in the 30s (which it'll need more than 1 or 2 of to reach the heights some are predicting.

Up's weekend drop %s vs what Brave will have releasing:

35% --- Brave's free second weekend

30% --- Brave against TASM

23% --- Brave against Ice Age 4

44% --- Brave against TDKR

Ramifications?