RichWS

Friday Numbers

Love SLP number. Surely it will have a place to stay on Top 10 next wknd. Hopefully, it stays until Mar. 16

Jack proves to be a family bonafide. Looks more like Percy Jackson. Had it released on MLK wknd, t could have done much better. Zero competition and room to breathe.

And who would have thought 3rd wknd number of EFPE would outgross that of Die Hard 5?

Edited by boxofficeth

Better Saturday numbers for Jack.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/03/big-budget-jack-the-giant-slayer-bombs-on-bad-weekend-for-3-new-films/#utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

1. Jack The Giant Slayer 3D (Legendary/Warner Bros) NEW [Runs 3,525] PG13Friday $7.6M, Saturday $12.2M, Weekend $26.0M

2. Identity Thief (Universal) Week 4 (Runs 3,230) RFriday $2.7M, Saturday$4.2M, Weekend $9.7M, Cume $107.5M

3. 21 And Over (Relativity) NEW [Runs 2,771] RFriday $3.3M, Saturday $3.6M, Weekend $9.1M

4. The Last Exorcism Part II (CBS Films) NEW [Runs 2,700] PG13Friday $3.2M, Saturday $3.2M, Weekend $7.9M5. Snitch (Summit/Lionsgate) Week 2 [Runs 2,511] PG13Friday $2.1M, Saturday $3.5M, Weekend $7.5M (-43%), Cume $24.2M

6. Escape From Planet Earth 3D (Weinstein) Week 3 [Runs 3,110] PGFriday $1.3M, Saturday $3.3M, Weekend $6.6M, Cume $43.1M

7. Safe Haven (Relativity) Week 3 [Runs 2,951] PG13Friday $2.0M, Saturday $2.9M, Weekend $6.2M, Cume $57.0M

8. Silver Linings Playbook (Weinstein) Week 16 [Runs 1,836] RFriday $1.5M, Saturday $2.7M, Weekend $5.6M, Cume $115.2M

9. A Good Day To Die Hard (Fox) Week 3 [Runs 2,589] RFriday $1.1M, Saturday $2.1M, Weekend $4.4M, Cume $59.5M

10. Dark Skies (Weinstein) Week 2 [Runs 2,313] PG13Friday $1.0M, Saturday $1.6M, Weekend $3.5M, Cume $13.4M

I had a feeling it would have a good jump. Too bad Friday was low.

Ain't no stopping SLP <3 Remember when everyone presumed it had no chance of reaching $50M, let alone $100M? Ahahahahahaha!

2013 has been utter shit and not just in terms of box office, but in terms of movie quality. There's definitely a correlation there. Pretty much every movie that has been released so far has looked like dreck, so movie goers are choosing to see movies like SLP and LOP and Argo instead. That's why when we look at the box office for the new releases, it looks like the audience isn't there. They are there, they're just not flocking to shit movies by default because they're new and are instead paying to see movies that may be "older" but have positive WOM and Oscar buzz surrounding them. Why pay to see the newest mind-numbing Rock movie when you can see a film as dazzling and life-affirming as LOP, or as feel-good and entertaining as SLP? There's no comparison. I know I'd much rather pay to see SLP or LOP in the theatres for a third time than see JTGS or 21AO. I have faith Oz will bring some life back into the BO because unlike all the other new releases of 2013, it's actually got some appeal.

EDIT: Actually, now that I think about it, if I were in the US I'd definitely be seeing Stoker this weekend. I can't wait for it to be released in Australia.

Edited by candycane
  • Like 3

March and April 2013 could be good but they won't match 2012. The true battle begins this summer.

Overall we're still looking at a much weaker summer than 2012.

There will be no Avengers or TDKRs.

We'll be lucky if any movie crosses 400 m this year (Maybe IM3 or Catching Fire).

Yeah I don't think it'll be much of a battle. Last summer we had two movies cross $1 billion together, this year we'll be lucky to have two (IM3 and ST2) make $750m combined. Granted, F6, MU, DM2 and MoS all have $250m potential - last year, only TASM2 crossed the mark - but it remains to be seen if they will live up to it. I also don't think there'll be a Ted-sized comedy hit.

Overall we're still looking at a much weaker summer than 2012. There will be no Avengers or TDKRs. We'll be lucky if any movie crosses 400 m this year (Maybe IM3 or Catching Fire).

Not necessarily, Summer wasn't really that great last year, just barely bigger than 2010 IIRC.

Not necessarily, Summer wasn't really that great last year, just barely bigger than 2010 IIRC.

Yeah there will probably be 8 movies that get over 200 m this summer when there were only 6 last summer.

But there still won't be any mega-monsters like Avengers or TDKR unless something seriously breaks out. 

Yeah there will probably be 8 movies that get over 200 m this summer when there were only 6 last summer. But there still won't be any mega-monsters like Avengers or TDKR unless something seriously breaks out.

You don't need mega-monsters, as shown by 2011. You just need bunch of movies doing consistently well.

If that Sat number is good, would Sunday really fall that hard and be smaller than Fri? Shouldn't it be looking at a 30M?

In order for JACK to cross $30 mill the movie needs to do more than $10 mill on Sunday which is a about 17% drop. Now the typical Sunday drop is 30% so it is not likely. But then again that $12 million Saturday bump was unlikely... 

You don't need mega-monsters, as shown by 2011. You just need bunch of movies doing consistently well.

2012 as a whole broke records thanks to mega-monster hits, though. While 2011 was more rounded, it was also the slowest year since the mid 90s.

2012 as a whole broke records thanks to mega-monster hits, though. While 2011 was more rounded, it was also the slowest year since the mid 90s.

I meant summer. 2012 was saved by the edges, not the middle.

Jtgs is a family movie , legs will be much better than John carter. It will get 100m in the long run.

Does being a family movie guarantee a 4x mulitplier?

Snow White didn't get a 4x mulitplier. Neither did Mirror Mirror.