RichWS

Friday Numbers

If Oz bombs may as well pack it in till Iron Man 3. 

Nah, Iron Man has a built in audience and will get a boost from Avengers.

It's the first event movie of the year with 400 million potential.

Oz is just a warm up.

Everyone is hurting in America.  I'm sorry this isn't 5 or 10 years ago.  So yes people are WAY more picky now about movies then they were a decade ago.  Also technology has to be blamed.  There are way more ways to watch movies today.  DVD's come out 3-4 months after the movies are released so people seem to be waiting a lot longer instead of rushing to the Theater.  I remember 20 years ago it took "Jurassic Park" FOREVER to come on VHS.  

But cause studios are losing money they are releasing them to home video quicker.  I know making a film a huge risk for any studio or investor.   You never know if he will work or not, there is no perfect science.  But because the ticket sales continue to drop year after year.  I expect Hollywood to be even more picky about projects they put out.  I'm an "Original" screenplay guy.  I love it when stuff like "Inception" break out cause it's not an established property but now I understand the name of the game.  To all my original screenplay writers out there, keep doing your thing but make stories with manageable budgets.  

What these studios should be doing is not giving risky tough sells like Jack the giant Slayer huge budgets, and just release a lot of those kinds of movies directly to video. Would solve a lot of the problem with these unappealing movies.

Edited by IronMan89

The sky is falling! Look, the product Hollywood has put out this year just hasn't interested audiences. It's not like people suddenly stopped going to the movies for no reason.

Exactly, Oscar movies are all having tremendous runs so "so-called" sky is falling isn't effecting them. In actuality, current new movies are looking like generic crap and audiences are saying FU to Hollywood by only going to theaters for interesting movies.

Exactly, Oscar movies are all having tremendous runs so "so-called" sky is falling isn't effecting them. In actuality, current new movies are looking like generic crap and audiences are saying FU to Hollywood by only going to theaters for interesting movies.

Remember when Avengers came out and everyone saw it, then the public boycotted the next 8 weeks of movies starting with Battleship. lol.

Remember when Avengers came out and everyone saw it, then the public boycotted the next 8 weeks of movies starting with Battleship. lol.

It actually started with Dark Shadows :lol:

Yep, if you give audiences interesting and good movies, they'll show up but so far this year has been severely lacking in quality.

Nah, Iron Man has a built in audience and will get a boost from Avengers.It's the first event movie of the year with 400 million potential.Oz is just a warm up.

till IM3And never understood why WB spent so much on Jack...it was never going to do very well and a $25m ow seem about right. Also, OZ looks way better, has received much better reception and buzz, so it should do much better than Jack...just not sure $70m ow better. $50-60m ow sure. Edited by FTF