kayumanggi

Should Pixar stop making sequels?

Pixar & Sequels  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Should Pixar stop making sequels?

• Yes. I love them because of their original films. No continuation please.
    • No. There are a lot of stories to explore. As long as they're good, I'm fine with it.

Agreed on Cars being underrated. I love the ode to Route 66 theme, definitely holds up well. I really wish they left the story at that too... I wouldn't have even minded if they just used Mater from the first Cars without dragging Lightning mcQueen into the whole racing scene again (bothers me that the point of the first movie was just squelched for the sequel)...

I will take a sequel like Toy Story 3 over a non-sequel like Brave anyday. So, it doesn't matter. All Pixar needs to do is to go back to its glory days when they made Toy Story, Finding Nemo.

Edited by vc2002

I will take a sequel like Toy Story 3 over a non-sequel like Brave anyday. So, it doesn't matter. All Pixar needs to do is to go back to its glory days when they made Toy Story, Finding Nemo.

Easier said than done.  I think part of the problem is always the same cycle that happens to most small entities that become huge institutions that make it impossible to replicate the same type of success as time goes on.

Pixar's first taste of success (TS) came when they were the small underdog studio with a bunch of unknown animators working on a movie led by a Disney reject (Lasseter).  They kept trying to keep the same formula for every movie later, and when things started feeling "stale," Lasseter brought in his buddy Brad Bird to shake things up.

But that was pretty much the end of their ascent.  They eventually formed the now famous "Brain Trust" between the most experienced of them all - made up mostly of the unknowns that started Toy Story.  

Now every movie coming up for Pixar is going to be created by experienced member of the brain trust that was there from the beginning like Unkrich, Docter, Petersen, Stanton...  Not that that's a bad thing - but these guys aren't as fresh and hungry (and let's face it, young) as new up and comers who may be more comparable to those experienced guys when they were first starting out...  

Just recently Pixar has lost some of the young talent they had to other studios, while gaining some experienced talent.  That's just the way it's been working out.  Meaning Pixar will likely "feel" like The Establishment for some time until a big shakeup there occurs.

Again, not that that's a terrible thing.  Unkrich and Petersen deserve their shots and are talented directors.  But it's just not going to feel as renegade as they did when they first started out.

I would say Dan Scanlon is a new face. And whether you liked Brave or not, Mark Andrews was part of the Brad Bird corps.

Yeah, I'm excited about Scanlon just because he's a fresh voice.  Never even heard of him directing a short.  On twitter he sounds like a funny guy.  

I'm more interested to see Mark Andrews work on a film that he developed from the beginning.  Just like I feel like Unkrich's new movie coming up is where I'll really get to see his true first movie.

But my point was these guys directing the upcoming movies except for Scanlon (who I don't know much about his history) have been with Pixar for like a decade (even Andrews, right?).  Which again, is not a bad thing...  I just wouldn't place the same expectations on the studio now as if they could easily go back to the way it once was.

Yeah...although, Planes does sound cool. :lol:

In all seriousness though, I wouldn't even mind another Cars sequel if they came up with a great story. The first one is very underrated, IMO. I consider it far stronger work than Brave. On a personal level, I find it holds up on repeat viewings better than Ratatouille and Up as well (but they're all great).

I saw the trailer of PLANES in front of OZ: THE GREAT AND POWERFUL. I enjoyed it a lot. Not a Pixar film though.

I never like it how sequels get demonised just for being sequels. Very few films ever need a sequel unless they were a planned trilogy from the start.If you outright say sequels should never be made you are almost defacto saying that Date Movie or Freddie got Fingered have more artistic integrity than Toy Story 3, Empire Strikes Back or Godfather Part 2.

If there's a story to be told then I would actually prefer revisiting a universe I love than getting potentially disappointed by a new idea that fails.

So yes I am not just okay with sequels I actively want them to be made when the circumstances are right. With Regards to Pixar:

Toy Story - I think there is nothing left to tell in this universe but you never know.

Bugs Life - Not Needed

Nemo - It's the Ocean theres endless possibilites but it can't just be finding a lost fish again. 

Incredibles - Absolutely, I mean the first film was essentially a classic superhero origin story. It's now time for the dark sequel followed by epic trilogy finale.

Cars - There's still potential here but again needs to be worth it.

Ratatouille - I actually think there is scope for a sequel here too, perhaps Having Ratty enter an international cooking competition or something.

Wall E and Up - The definition of stand alone stories that don't need sequels.

Brave - Upon second viewing I found Brave to be better than I thought, and even though its lookwarm response means that it won't happen, I can actually envisage this film having a far superior sequel if it was ever greenlighted.

Monsters Inc - I think they've make the right choice, no room for a sequel here, but prequel could work.

I hate remakes, but I can stomach sequels. Of course different people are interested in different stories to be continued. The sequel always has the potential to disappoint. Pixar should find out, what most people would like to see continued and try create something interesting to add on. Hopefully not just to sell toys.

I actually think there are more things that could be done with the Wall-E-Verse; maybe not with him as the main character but the setting has enough intrigue that it could be expanded upon. Its Fanfiction.net page is one of the more active ones among Pixar properties, certainly in comparison to Ratatouille and Up.

Edited by tribefan695

I hate remakes, but I can stomach sequels. Of course different people are interested in different stories to be continued. The sequel always has the potential to disappoint. Pixar should find out, what most people would like to see continued and try create something interesting to add on. Hopefully not just to sell toys.

And DW and Fox made sequels because they want to show their artistry and not to sell toys? The ICE AGE movies are among the most inconsistent and terrible animated films out there. This is just me though since millions worldwide enjoyed seeing Scrat and the gang.

I actually think there are more things that could be done with the Wall-E-Verse; maybe not with him as the main character but the setting has enough intrigue that it could be expanded upon. Its Fanfiction.net page is one of the more active ones among Pixar properties, certainly in comparison to Ratatouille and Up.

Wall-E does not belong to my Pixar favourites, but I would like to see a real space Pixar perhaps in that universe.

Wall-E does not belong to my Pixar favourites, but I would like to see a real space Pixar perhaps in that universe.

Now the Disney owns Star Wars, and LucasArts is so close to the Pixar studios, and all those artists go back and forth anyway, maybe there will be a Star Wars spinoff done by Pixar at some point?  Or more likely, it will be labeled a Disney film (if Pixar sticks with its "no adaptations" pattern) but done in Emeryville borrowing a Pixar director?

Now the Disney owns Star Wars, and LucasArts is so close to the Pixar studios, and all those artists go back and forth anyway, maybe there will be a Star Wars spinoff done by Pixar at some point?  Or more likely, it will be labeled a Disney film (if Pixar sticks with its "no adaptations" pattern) but done in Emeryville borrowing a Pixar director?

Also not a big Star Wars fan, but I would like to see that sub-genre succeeed.

Edited by Rudolf

Also not a big Star Wars fan, but I would like to see that sub-genre succeeed.

Neither am I, but am intrigued with what Disney can do with them.  Pixar being neighbors with LucasArts is a very interesting subplot...  Remember that for WALL-E, Pixar borrowed Ben Burtt from Lucas to do the sound.

A sequel is still a movie with its own plot and characters. It may copy a lot from a different movie, but honestly what movie is truly original anymore? I don't understand this sequel hate. A movie is a movie period. If it looks good I'll watch it if it doesn't I won't regardless of if it's a sequel or not. Great examples are fast and furious it came off a total and complete dud and it blew up the box office and then the other side of the coin is Expendables 2 a great first movie, but the 2nd looked more of the same. This applies to all movies, if it looks good it will do well if it doesn't it won't. There is no factor that changes the system if it's a sequel, though many on here think that. And just like any movie sequels are hits and misses. Keep making them good movies and I will always watch no matter what number it is in a franchise. I think most people think that way as well.

• Like 1