Ariadne

Game of Thrones (TV ONLY) [Leaked Spoilers prohibited]

I'm confused why book readers will be disappointed...I'm sure they are saving stuff for next season.

Basically there's a big twist readers have been waiting for for a while that has  been put off to next season, which makes readers frustrated because it's an OMG WTF WOW twist and would have been a perfect cap to the season.

And they left out a conversation that's fairly important in changing how one character acts.

Edited by Numbers the One True King

Why should other peoples enjoyment dictate mine I have certain expectations for an adaptation of asos and this finale completely failed to meet them

Because you have to remember that they're making a TV show that has to keep the interest in everyone, not just book readers. They're going to put things in the show that work for the SHOW narrative. So maybe you should temper your expectations by thinking about that.

Leaving out Lady Stoneheart was a bit disappointing, I'll admit. The last shot was very reminiscent of last year. But the Tysha change? Support it 100 percent. People have to realize that certain things work on TV and certain things do not. That is the kind of thing that benefited on an emotional level MUCH more from making it about a character that we know and have seen since Season 1, and not a character that was mentioned once in a monologue three seasons ago. You build up an emotional connection to Shae and Tyrion. Itt would be a cinematic error to make that massive moment, one of the biggest in the show, about a completely offscreen romance.

• Like 6

Basically there's a big twist readers have been waiting for for a while that has been put off to next season, which makes readers frustrated because it's an OMG WTF WOW twist and would have been a perfect cap to the season.And they left out a conversation that's fairly important in changing how one character acts.

It is not just that it is the character assassination of Jaime the complete botch of tyrion last scene and then LS. They did very well on Bran, Arya, Jon, even Dany but those three mistakes hurt this episode for me

Edited by #ED
  • Like 1

Leaving out Lady Stoneheart was a bit disappointing, I'll admit. The last shot was very reminiscent of last year. But the Tysha change? Support it 100 percent. People have to realize that certain things work on TV and certain things do not. That is the kind of thing that benefited on an emotional level MUCH more from making it about a character that we know and have seen since Season 1, and not a character that was mentioned once in a monologue three seasons ago. You build up an emotional connection to Shae and Tyrion. Itt would be a cinematic error to make that massive moment, one of the biggest in the show, about a completely offscreen romance.

I agree in part, but

Jaime revealing the truth about Tysha becomes a huge motivating factor for all of Tyrion's decisions from that point forward. It's why he goes to confront his father instead of just hightailing it out of there. It's also why he pushes Aegon to immediately attack Westeros, because he wants to tear his entire family down.

• Like 1

It is not just that it is the character assassination of Jaime the complete botch of tyrion last scene and then LS. They did very well on Bran, Arya, Jon, even Dany but those three mistakes hurt this episode for me

No, not with Jaime.

He doesn't refuse Cersei until the fourth book, when he starts seeing how downhill she is going

• Like 1

Fine but Jaime and Tyrion parting on good terms, Jaime in the Tower, No Shits gold line, no LS, these are truly awful points for me that utterly change the characters as they are in the books. Tyrion isn't pissed at his family anymore he doesn't want revenge so what will motivate him in his storyline, Jaime is not disillusioned with Cersei so what motivates his change

Edited by #ED
  • Like 1

Seriously Sun's Son, if you're going to talk about book changes spoiler tag them so you're not beating non-readers over the head with book spoilers (in the event they want to go back and read the novels).

• Like 2

I agree in part, but

Jaime revealing the truth about Tysha becomes a huge motivating factor for all of Tyrion's decisions from that point forward. It's why he goes to confront his father instead of just hightailing it out of there. It's also why he pushes Aegon to immediately attack Westeros, because he wants to tear his entire family down.

Well, one, they've changed Tyrion enough already that his character is clearly going in a different direction than the books, a much more heroic, sympathetic route. His revenge filled lust in the fifth book (and all the relatively boring shit he does) was obnoxious to read for a character that had previously been one of the greatest ever put to page. Then again, I'm highly critical of both of those books, so as I've said, the more changes, the better.

Well, one, they've changed Tyrion enough already that his character is clearly going in a different direction than the books, a much more heroic, sympathetic route. His revenge filled lust in the fifth book (and all the relatively boring shit he does) was obnoxious to read for a character that had previously been one of the greatest ever put to page. Then again, I'm highly critical of both of those books, so as I've said, the more changes, the better.

I disagree, since I always thought it made sense to

Make Tyrion more heroic early on so the rapid succession of hits at the end of the third book pivot him into a darker, more vengeful arc

Comes down to personal opinions I guess.

• Like 1

Numbers these aren't spoilers they mean nothing to non book readers so I won't bother marking them

Yes they are. Especially since some of what you are saying has been referenced in the show, so non-readers may pick up on them.

I think they have set up things pretty well for season 4...One thing I am interested is in how much King's Landing they can have next season since book 4 and 5 mostly deal with other things (wall, mereen, etc) and the show definitely prefers KL over other locations...

Watching the encore by the way...Jon Snow has some great moments/scenes in this episode...

Edited by AC Slater
  • Like 1

As for Jojen, I think it was a bit awkwardly handled and forced (we needed more time really to properly establish the Reed siblings and their friendship with Bran).

BUT

I do find it infinitely preferable to (book spoilers)

The Jojen Paste theory. No. Just no.

It also confirms that Jojen doesn't have much left to do in the books. In fact I am now predicting that in Book 6 the magical ward around the Tree cave eventually fails and the Others and wights attack and Jojen will die there.

Edited by Numbers the One True King
  • Like 1