Ariadne

Game of Thrones (TV ONLY) [Leaked Spoilers prohibited]

Now that I had a night to digest everything

I thought the episode was brilliantly well made, I was on the edge of my seat the entire way through, and I see no point in criticizing the plot line until I see the full season’s plot line.

The NK’s demise was perfectly believable given Arya’s entire arc has been about death.  And honestly, the way that episode was going, either the NK was going to die or the entire cast besides Cersei was going to die.  It’d have been bad writing to have the main characters randomly choose to retreat Winterfell, or have the NK skip Winterfell entirely.

Kind of confused that it’s gotten some massive hate but I reckon an ending that’s been theorized and built up for 10 years (and more for book readers) can’t please everyone.

My main disappointment is with how nothing really has come out of Bran.  Especially since his arc has always been about the WWs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lordmandeep said:

seems like the episode is very divisive amoung GOT fans...

I think this is the opposite of Endgame.

As a standalone episode it is really good just that 8 seasons of buildup and the bad guys just all die lol

I’m pretty sure they’re setting up the main conflict to be Jon vs Dany and Cersei and WWs were red herrings, but could be wrong.  We’ll see, I’m just in for the ride rn

2 minutes ago, A Panda of Ice and Fire said:

I thought the episode was brilliantly well made, I was on the edge of my seat the entire way through, and I see no point in criticizing the plot line until I see the full season’s plot line.

The NK’s demise was perfectly believable given Arya’s entire arc has been about death.  And honestly, the way that episode was going, either the NK was going to die or the entire cast besides Cersei was going to die.  It’d have been bad writing to have the main characters randomly choose to retreat Winterfell, or have the NK skip Winterfell entirely.

Kind of confused that it’s gotten some massive hate but I reckon an ending that’s been theorized and built up for 10 years (and more for book readers) can’t please everyone.

My main disappointment is with how nothing really has come out of Bran.  Especially since his arc has always been about the WWs.

The show was already gone full crazy, having the night king talk to bran would been epic.

1 hour ago, Thanos Legion said:

I thought this was coming, but I really don’t like that they wrap up the MAGICAL ZOMBIES THREATENING TO PERMANENTLY END ALL LIFE IN WESTEROS  plot in episode 3 like a side dish, and have the season climax be fighting the mean, mostly abandoned by her allies, mortal woman who wants to sit on a pointy chair for the next couple decades.     

There were points when it seemed like the books/show were trying to show how foolhardy it was focusing on small inter-kingdom conflict when this huge existential threat loomed, but the final season structure is like “lol, nope, NK was only the secondary antagonist, Cersei is endboss.”

But why would it make sense for a series to end focused on a magical force of evil when the majority of the series before this has been about the human conflicts?

I wouldn’t blame the WWs losing here on DND.  Should GRRM write his final books, I’m willing to bet they die here to.  It’s in the name of Winterfell.

What we’d probably get from GRRM is a more satisfying exploration of Bran and who the WWs are.  Those are more suited for the books anyways and a reason to look forward to GRRM finishing them.

In terms of the show, once I’ve digested it, the ending to the NK here makes perfect sense, even if it’s not what people expected.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Valonqar said:

why should she have died? NK plot went to shit the moment they invented "Kill NK, They All Die" crap. that's your real Deus ex Machine, not Arya's sneak behind NK. Oh, and you can screencap this: Maisie Williams will be the lead in D&D's Star Wars. 

Raising stakes: so killing one out of 20 characters with most ridiculous plot armors is gonna raise stakes? I think not. And going by Mel's Eyes prophecy, since Cersei has green eyes in the book (and Lena has greenish no?) don't be surprised if Arya takes her out too. so two big kills. I already see debate that because she killed NK, she won't get to kill Cersei and I'm thinking, oh my sweet summer children. the character is D&D's favorite. They have big plans with her obviously. they made her Azor Ahai, gave her a Baratheon boyfriend which implies happy ending with tons of importance, so hold on with" Cersei is off limits". I really don't think so. I think that NK kill will lull fans into thinking someone else takes out Cersei but it'll be Arya. 

WTF was Jon thinking when he started yelling at the ice dragon? that he'll start spewing fire at the dragon? :hahaha:damn stupidity in this episode.

I see you claim

4 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Re: Arya. It was explained. She ran over to Bran as soon as Mel spelled out that she would kill NK. So she arrived before NK and WW surrounded Bran and the Iron Born. That's in the episode. Now the following is why the episode is so bad. we are literally told who's gonna kill NK so there was no need to make her presence there a mystery. they could have shown us that she was mingling among the Iron Born or pretended to be one of the fallen or hiding in the tree, anything.But no. they pulled that "surprise" that wasn't a surprise cause. we. were. told. Arya .would. kill. NK. Just stupid writing and bad direction that created illusion of a plothole or Deus ex Machina when there was none. 

re: Prophecy. it isn't meaningless, it's just that fans were (mis)led to think it was Jon cause secret Targ and all that jazz. However, seeds were there that it would not be him starting with Missandei's correction that it could mean a princess not a prince. They wouldn't have that little interjection in place if they were to go with Jon. so that was a hint one of female characters would take NK out. So at that moment, it seemed it implied Danaerys (since she was present) but it's actually Arya. She is Azor Ahai and this is how it was set up:

I don't know whether they knew back in season 3 that "eyes brown...green...BLUE...shut forever" meant NK Slaying. But they made a big point about it in this episode.

Arya trained to fight in the dark. that was my first big clue that she might be the one to take NK down cause fight in the dark = Long Night. Like, literally what else that training could serve for? side plot assassinations?Nah.  It was always going to lead to this, so I'm sure that Arya Ahai was decided at least from that season if not earlier when Mel gave her the Eyes prophecy.

Super clue  - Bran gives Arya LF's  knife saying she'd need it. The big deal here is Valerian steel. Now, since Arya executed LF with the knife, fans saw poetic justice but was it the only thing the knife was meant for? Valeryan steel, people. Valeryan steel.

Arya asks Gendry to make her a special weapon from that knife to fight the dead. Once again, he brings up Valeryan steel. 

War council debates the war strategy. Jon explains that killing NK kills them all. Deus ex Raven explains that NK will come for him so he'll serve as a bait. Only Arya exclaims that she won't leave Bran all alone. the rest take Theon and Ironborn protection of Bran as enough. 

Storytelling 101 - it's never about big picture but small things. Characters on the battlefield trying to win the war didn't take NK out. Arya did because she was protecting Bran. I don't know what Jon was thinking when he left Bran with the Ironborn, that bran would kill NK? that Ironborn would? that he would arrive on time? anyway, the beauty of the kill was big sister defending the little brother and thus fulfilling the prophecy that she never cared about (or even knew? did Arya ever hear about prince that was promised?).

But why do they show the hair flip from the white Walker standing 20 meters behind the Night King? Wouldn’t that imply that she ran at atleast 20 meters per second past them?

5 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

The show was already gone full crazy, having the night king talk to bran would been epic.

Idk if I even needed that.  Just something to make him more than a lump staring off into space.

Im honestly kind of glad they didn’t make a big deal about the prophecies.  It seems pretty clear that GRRM’s intention for prophecies and magic are that they’re vague and almost anything can fulfill them.

This should have been the plot imo. 

Ep. 3 - Jon and Arya but they manage to take out the Night King ala Lyanna mormont. Arya is to OP and should have been killed. She can kill Cersei o easily.

Ep. 4 - Sansa takes the title Queen of the North. Dany having lost almost all of her army in the battle of winterfell makes a deal with Sansa. She tells her that the North will be independent if she helps her take the throne and kill Cersei. 

Ep.5 - Big battle in King's Landing. Cersei and Dany both die. And in a plot twist no one expected - Sansa takes the throne. How poetic and amazing would that be. The same girl that lost her father in the 1.st season and lost her entire family killed is now the Queen of the 7 realms. No one would have expected it. And she would have earned it by being smart and learning through out the entire show. 

Ep. 6- The aftermath of the battle.. Wrapping character stories up.

Edited by HeadShot

8 minutes ago, A Panda of Ice and Fire said:

Idk if I even needed that.  Just something to make him more than a lump staring off into space.

Im honestly kind of glad they didn’t make a big deal about the prophecies.  It seems pretty clear that GRRM’s intention for prophecies and magic are that they’re vague and almost anything can fulfill them.

the issue they had a scene with a priestess conjuring up fire lol 

So yeah people expect the NK to be some big important character and theory then some generic villain who dies with arya jumping 50 feet at the speed of light. 

2 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

the issue they had a scene with a priestess conjuring up fire lol 

So yeah people expect the NK to be some big important character and theory then some generic villain who dies with arya jumping 50 feet at the speed of light. 

Idk, thinking back they were always pretty clear about who the WWs were, imminent death personified. 

11 minutes ago, A Panda of Ice and Fire said:

Idk, thinking back they were always pretty clear about who the WWs were, imminent death personified. 

I think many thought the 'game of thrones' was the sideshow and that the Night King was the endgame.

But it is reversed... and they did so after 8 seasons... 

Edited by Lordmandeep

33 minutes ago, A Panda of Ice and Fire said:

The most annoying thing was how hard it was to see anything, that dragon battle like wtf was that? The Dothraki riding scene was beyon stupid, like here you go Night King a 100k more dead people to fight for you. Why show us Ghost if he’s not supposed to do anything. Arya going from badass to damsel in distress to badass again in 10 minutes. They managed to put in shot of a white walkers hair flipping, implying that she sprinted past them, and we are going to belive she can run 20 meters per second? All our favourite character being surounded by 100s and 1000s of zombies with their backs to the Wall and as soon as they are about to die they cut away, when they cut back to them again all is good. I give Sam the biggest how the fuck are you still alive out of all of them. Jon being an idiot thinking he can scream the dragon to death, Danny deciding to stay on the ground with her dragon. Theon fighting like he’s the best fighter on the show to then proceeding to run at the king screaming and dying like he’s never fought in his life. and Bran as you said, what is the point of him? What purpose does he serve? He was the link to the King  and that’s how it ends? Sansa got a knife and went down to the crypt, a woman who have fought some of the worst people on the show the queen of her people didn’t decide to use it once? Completely against her character.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, HeadShot said:

This should have been the plot imo. 

Ep. 3 - Jon and Arya but they manage to take out the Night King ala Lyanna mormont. Arya is to OP and should have been killed. She can kill Cersei o easily.

Ep. 4 - Sansa takes the title Queen of the North. Dany having lost almost all of her army in the battle of winterfell makes a deal with Sansa. She tells her that the North will be independent if she helps her take the throne and kill Cersei. 

Ep.5 - Big battle in King's Landing. Cersei and Dany both die. And in a plot twist no one expected - Sansa takes the throne. How poetic and amazing would that be. The same girl that lost her father in the 1.st season and lost her entire family killed is now the Queen of the 7 realms. No one would have expected it. And she would have earned it by being smart and learning through out the entire show. 

Ep. 6- The aftermath of the battle.. Wrapping character stories up.

Sansa the Queen is not happening. atm, Arya Stark and Gendry Baratheon (remember, you have a daughter and I have a son, lets unite our houses?) have better claim than she, and their claim is weak sauce so that's that. Like, I get that Sansa fans want her to be the main hero and queen and Jonsa and what not but it isn't happening. that's not where the story is going. There won't be Mad Queen Dany or such shit. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, A Panda of Ice and Fire said:

The NK’s demise was perfectly believable given Arya’s entire arc has been about death.  

Thank you! Like, "death has many faces, I'm looking forward to see this one" was clue of clues. it was always her destiny, not something out of blue to subvert expectations.

51 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

Wait. Whut?

Did you not notice the hoard of zombies trying to eat her? Bad Ass Female Character does not mean she is some Action Girl Drone. Or that she can’t have emotions. She thought she was going to die. 

yes but it doesn't flow organically after her anime fight with 50 of them and them leap-frogging over another 50. it isn't that she shouldn't be afraid but that placement in the story was akward coming from such display of invincibility. and it did serve to get the Hound out of his stupor so it's a trope.

• ...wtf 1

12 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Thank you. I saw when Beric received the first stab and Arya was helping him and then freeze. Did he have last words or just died? when the stream resumed, Mel was already talking to Arya.

this is brilliant:

BTW, Arya was the only one protecting her family out of all Starks. she gave Sansa the weapon. She couldn't leave Bran (which was telegraphed in previous episode). Like, when you think about it, Jon took Theon and Ironborn for granted but Arya was, like, nope, that's my little brother. they always had a strong bond in season 1 so I dig it that they picked it up this way. I see complaints that NK wasn't her antagonist but Jon's which is wrong, actually. NK was Bran's antagonist. since bran couldn't take him out, it's right that his sibling who loves him the most did it to save him. 

LMAO, reactions! some people are in tears over NK going down in one episode. they are still hoping that he will return for the battle of KL lolololololololol. :rofl:

Still, they sure hyped up Jon for no reason. They could of at least let him kill the Ice Dragon for crying out loud. It would have been epic to see him jump from Rheagal and onto the Ice Dragon's head and plunge Claw deep into it's skull, taking him out. But nope. 

Really, again, what is the point of Jon? Sansa won the battle of the Bastards, not him. Only thing good he's done is give Arya needle in the beginning, which started the path she would eventually follow, but again, other than that? What else? 

14 minutes ago, Warhorse said:

Still, they sure hyped up Jon for no reason. They could of at least let him kill the Ice Dragon for crying out loud. It would have been epic to see him jump from Rheagal and onto the Ice Dragon's head and plunge Claw deep into it's skull, taking him out. But nope. 

Really, again, what is the point of Jon? Sansa won the battle of the Bastards, not him. Only thing good he's done is give Arya needle in the beginning, which started the path she would eventually follow, but again, other than that? What else? 

but but Iron Throne. :D

that's really it.

2 hours ago, Lordmandeep said:

what I find funny is did Arya do some 50 foot jump over the army of the dead lol 

How do we not know she found a passage way to the tree and just climb up in it, to the branches and then jump off the tree onto the Night King? Thanks to the first 3ER, we know there are passages underneath the trees, and thanks to Maester Luwin, we know there are secret passages under the castle put there by Brandon the Builder, same guy who helped put up the wall.

3 hours ago, Lordmandeep said:

seems like the episode is very divisive amoung GOT fans...

I think this is the opposite of Endgame.

As a standalone episode it is really good just that 8 seasons of buildup and the bad guys just all die lol

Uh, I think you are mistaken about EndGame not being divisive among fans. I went to the movie twice, and the ending had more people like "WTF" than cheering and clapping.   I seriously think both franchises are ending a bit underwhelming. 

1 hour ago, A Panda of Ice and Fire said:

Actually, it's not. His visions are more on Jon's true parentage than anything else. Watch all of his  visions. I also think what we seen happen with his involvement with Hordor will repeat itself with the Mad King "burn them all, burn them all!"  But that is the thing, his visions are centered around Jon, and not Arya at all. I hate saying this, but I do think Jon was supposed to be the one to take down the Night King, but HBO has decided to go all feminist these past few years and now made the producers of GOT make all the women be the heroes and the men useless.