Ariadne

Game of Thrones (TV ONLY) [Leaked Spoilers prohibited]

Binge-watched all of season 1-6 over the last month with my boyfriend.

I totally got back into GoT while watching the first three seasons again, my boyfriend who never watched it before was also completely hooked and surprised at how much he liked it.

But while we discussed every plot and character development up until the Purple Wedding, the charm once again left after that (did for me before that is why I actually never saw all scenes of season 5 and 6 until now because youtube videos of the major scenes seemed sufficient). Especially during season 5 and 6.

The "cool scenes" get way bigger, more satisfying and cooler over the course of the series... but they also develop way worse out of the plot comapred to earlier seasons imho. The increase in teleporting does not help, as well as some things that imho are simply plotholes to get to a certain point and event. And I remain convinced that the show could tell the story of a violent and grim world without the ridiculous amount of unecessary boob shots and cock/-----jokes and also without some of the violent scenes (mind you: I am not against the graphic portrayal of violence in general, but it is self-serving on GoT way too often imho).

GoT remains a milestone TV show. Though while I think Season 1-3/4 wear a crown for superb writing and adapting, season 5-6 wear that crown mostly for production value and for showing what is possible on television these days in terms of scale.

• Like 1

On 25/10/2017 at 6:17 PM, ShouldIBeHere said:

Binge-watched all of season 1-6 over the last month with my boyfriend.

I totally got back into GoT while watching the first three seasons again, my boyfriend who never watched it before was also completely hooked and surprised at how much he liked it.

But while we discussed every plot and character development up until the Purple Wedding, the charm once again left after that (did for me before that is why I actually never saw all scenes of season 5 and 6 until now because youtube videos of the major scenes seemed sufficient). Especially during season 5 and 6.

The "cool scenes" get way bigger, more satisfying and cooler over the course of the series... but they also develop way worse out of the plot comapred to earlier seasons imho. The increase in teleporting does not help, as well as some things that imho are simply plotholes to get to a certain point and event. And I remain convinced that the show could tell the story of a violent and grim world without the ridiculous amount of unecessary boob shots and cock/-----jokes and also without some of the violent scenes (mind you: I am not against the graphic portrayal of violence in general, but it is self-serving on GoT way too often imho).

GoT remains a milestone TV show. Though while I think Season 1-3/4 wear a crown for superb writing and adapting, season 5-6 wear that crown mostly for production value and for showing what is possible on television these days in terms of scale.

I think Seasons 3-4 were actually the nadir of the show's callous take on sexual violence (Craster's and the Cersei/Jaime funeral scene). After that, the show and its makers seemed to get more confident that sexpositions and graphic sexual violence weren't as necessary to hook audiences and started showing more restraint (Sansa's rape being the sole exception and even in that instance, I was actually a defender of the show's decisions).

Are the "teleportations" that distracting? The timeline is so vague that we do not know the amount of time passing between when Character X has departed Destination Y and reached Destination Z. It seems more of a case of people being surprised that many travels have gone uneventfully compared to ones in previous seasons. 

Having said that, the pacing is indeed more rushed now. But... I can overlook it as I feel the show can now afford to lean back on its previously carefully laid groundwork for its characters and their stories.