Ariadne

Game of Thrones (TV ONLY) [Leaked Spoilers prohibited]

Yeah, I gotta say, this whole ep kinda felt like a different show than GoT. Choppy fight sequence editing that was hard to see, tons of suspend all your disbelief moments that somehow these characters are all still surviving, silly Walking Dead zombie moments, cheesy super drawn out slo-mo, and the whole thing just had the undercurrent of your typical Hollywood popcorn flick where there's huge stakes but no one very important is really in danger. Very, very odd episode for this series, but I guess it's because they must want everyone important alive for the final Cersei showdown? Still think the whole thing could have been executed way better.

I also wish that they had subverted expectation here, because to me the obvious thing was always to take out the dead in this ep and have the rest be the war with Cersei. But again, this is GoT and they rarely go for the obvious. Even Arya's big moment was underwhelming because they made it seem like the Night King was just staring/slo-mo walking at Bran for a year, just patiently waiting for someone to come take him out. Nice send offs for Jorah and Theon though, and the bit with the dragons against the moonlit sky was gorgeously shot. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

that was an inexcusably dumb move 

The only justification in-show is that the Dothraki have no tactics other than charge everything head on.

But yes, actual tactics would have been to use the infantry as an anvil for the undead and then send the cavalry in from the flanks to overwhelm those sides.

Eeeessshhh

The action was a horrible, disgruntled mess filmed in horrible fashion. Ironically enough the best shots came just before the battle and right after. Now I'm not saying the episode was horrible as a whole but when you can't distinguish between Dany's dragon, Jon's dragon, or the Undead dragon we've got a problem. Same thing on the ground. Couldn't see shit.

This episode being compared to Helm's Deep is laughable. It may be more explicitly violent but we're far and away from Jackson's slick directing and editing of that legendary sequence where you never lose sense of the geography within the scene in any of the shots. 

Not sure what I think of the ending twist yet, it will depend on how it ends I guess. 

So many characters teleporting, being nonsensical... cop outs, in-extremis saves (I lost count), and characters being so damn stupid it was actually frustrating to watch.

It was a captivating episode though, I'll give you that. Curious to see where they go next. Not enough casualties if you ask me.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

The only justification in-show is that the Dothraki have no tactics other than charge everything head on.

But yes, actual tactics would have been to use the infantry as an anvil for the undead and then send the cavalry in from the flanks to overwhelm those sides.

Gotta save on that budget. :sparta:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

they made it seem like the Night King was just staring/slo-mo walking at Bran for a year, just patiently waiting for someone to come take him out. 

so much this. it was such an anti-climax coupled with Melisande's very loud and clear foretelling what Arya would do and laugahble plot armor that kept way too many characters alive when they shouldn't be (I'm looking at you Sam most of all but there are like 20 of them guilty of the same).

And show me a character that didn't act stupid af. you can't.

@Daxtreme Agreed, comparing this to Helm's Deep is completely ridiculous. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ozymandias said:

How did Arya sneak up on the NK by getting pass like a dozen WWs and hundreds of zombies when not long before she was struggling to hide from like 3 of them in a library full of cover?

People had theorized that she would at least attempt to take out the NK by killing a White Walker and putting on their face in order to get close.

Which sounded like a cool idea, except Ayra is super short so a very short WW suddenly being in the group would get a big sideeye from everyone

This episode would have probably been good had the lightning been good. Someone please fire the cinematographer.

With that said, they've always hyped this battle. This seemed like it should have been the big end-all battle of GoT. Not sure what happened here. So, we get one more episode of plotting. Another giant war. And, then a closure episode, I guess. Maybe the show will have a time jump and we see Dany is a bad queen and Jon kills her or something.