Jack Nevada

Festival de Cannes 2013 (Screening tomorrow THE IMMIGRANT starring Joaquin Phoenix)

Some of tomorrow's screenings

Jimmy P. (Psychotherapy of A Plains Indian) by Arnaud Desplechin

Like Father, Like Son by Kore-Eda Hirokazu

Grand Central by Rebecca Zlotowski

Bends by Flora Lau

The Last Emperor 3D by Bernardo Bertolucci 

La Grande Bouffe by Marco Ferreri

Posted Image

I imagine Bejo will probably be our indie contender of the year now, not that you can really classify The Past as a true indie. Both her and Fadhari are well known among the academy membership. 

I think I'm gonna take Dame Naomi and Diana out of my predictions for now because they've screened the film in full to potential buyers and there's been ZERO talk. Like legitimately ZERO talk. 

And I'm gonna take Legend Dench out as well because Harvey bought it and I think that with him being committed to Streep, and Kidman (Both films already dated), he's got too many contenders this year (Streep and Dench will also split votes). He'll probably wait until 2014 when Legend Dench's eyesight is near blind to milk the hell out of that narrative so that he can finally get Legend her well deserved Oscar in lead 16 years after he got her her first oscar in supporting. 

Inside Llewyn Davis. :wub: Our first finished BP contender. 

I hope it blows everyone away. First because its the Coens ( :wub:  :wub:  :wub: ) and second cause so far only a few movies at the fest have seemed appealing to me. 

I'm thinking it could be a contender for the palme but an American film just won two years ago and I don't think Spielberg would want to reward an American film. 

Yeah that is true, but we've talked about Spielberg making a conservative choice for the palme, and giving the award to a Coen brothers movie is almost as conservative as giving it to a Michael Haneke picture last year. 

Yeah that is true, but we've talked about Spielberg making a conservative choice for the palme, and giving the award to a Coen brothers movie is almost as conservative as giving it to a Michael Haneke picture last year. 

I thought giving it to Haneke was a bit of a gutsy move seeing as it raised the level of expectation for the film sky high. He won the Palme on back to back feature films and that's never happened before I think (winning 2 is a huge achievement already). And he won over what was widely considered another contender for the palme (but ended up getting nothing, probably because Marion Cotillard's husband's ex-wife was on the jury and she's still bitter about marion stealing her husband from her) Jacques Audiard again. At least Audiard didn't get second again, that would've hurt. 

And I think that it also depends on what type of Jury head he is. There are some like Taratino and Morretti, I believe, who are extremely domineering and the winners are their personal choices. However, there are also more collegial heads that encourage lots of discussion.