Shawn Robbins

Weekend Numbers (OZ: 80 mill)

I would also argue that the Oscar SLP leak cost the movie around 20m in bo receits.The movie could have done 150m dom.

Huh? If you're talking about piracy then that's not a tangible detractor to its gross, at least not any more than any other film. No need to make excuses for SLP's run, it performed very well. Edited by Gopher

Eh, I think prestigious went out the window when Michael Bay joined the ranks.

I don't like Bay's movies at all but he's managed continued success and deserves his place. Yates, however, just lived off the success of the Potter brand and will soon return to BBC.

• Like 2

Why would Disney invest hundreds of millions for a mediocre Oz franchise when that money would be better spent looking for the next POTC or Toy Story?The home runs and grand slams are where the real money is. Not the base hits.It's a better investment to find the next billion dollar franchise.

Good analogy. Oz isn't an HR by any means. I'd probably use baseball contracts. For instance JC, to me would be the equivalent of the Yankees last contract A-Rod. Marvel Franchises are like Jeter. Oz would probably fall in between. And in the end a new Oz will be a new better known quantity, rather than another huge financial gamble. An Oz sequel will most likely make more WW. Anyway I'm gonna wait and see what Disney does.

I don't like Bay's movies at all but he's managed continued success and deserves his place. Yates, however, just lived off the success of the Potter brand and will soon return to BBC.

I also see Tom Hooper crawling back to BBC after the embarrassment of Les Mis. 

The director of I am Legend will be joining that list when Hunger Games finishes up. Tim Burton and Bob Zemeckis gotta be close to that mark.

Gore verbinski will  make the list if The Lone Ranger hits 200 which i think it has a good shot at doing, even if im in the minority on that one.

Edited by newknicksfan

Oh yeah, he deserves his place.  I don't have anything against Yates though, I think his Potter films were very good.  Granted, from a box office perspective, it's hard to really give him direct credit.

• Founder / Operator

Does that intl' number confirm that 3D is not the draw it use to be?

All it confirms is that international audiences weren't excited for Oz. To say that 3D isn't a draw anymore, we'd have to see a trend of films under-performing in the format.

Edited by ShawnMR

OK fine.It's a global disappointment and sequel killer.better?

No.

What did you guys expect it to make?  I didn't think and I don't think the studios thought this was going to be another Alice.  You can't just take one film and compare it to Oz and think that it should have made what that film made.  This should do a minimum of 500 million WW.  This is the first film, people are discovering it and if they like it, then they will come back for more the second time around.  I see this as nothing but a success.