The Dark Alfred

CAYOM Festival - Year 7 - Three-Month Funeral triumphs

Innocense is a surprise for the type of film it is. It is deservedly leading the pack, however the stars might aligned for it perfectly with this panel, it could have gotten much lower score with others I guess. It's a huge shout for best foreign film I'd say. 

Edited by Alfred Beyond The Pines
  • Like 1

Haneke coming slightly earlier because I have to go for dinner in 5 minutes:

Le Plaisir, Faux

A Numbers Review

A Scientific Affair

As soon as I learned a Haneke film was appearing at the festival I was like "Oh here we go." And in a sense my premonition was proven right, since as was pointed out by Blank, riczhang hates happy endings. So we get LPF, a Haneke film about a loveless marraige, a quasi-cheating spouse, and a general air of nihilism about the state of relationships. The most recurring feature of the film is its coldness, its precise, clinical detachment from the characters, the story, everything. Even the actors generally suppress their emotions and feelings for most of the film, and the first time our main character truly opens up to emotional expression and romance she (presumably) gets gunned down. It's actually an interesting question since we only hear the two shots amid a black screen. Does George shoot Anne or Guillame twice? Does he shoot them both each once? Does he shoot one of them once and then himself? It's one of the best features about the film since considering the very slow crumbling of George he could have done any of those actions.

The acting for the film is very well done, but because Haneke keeps things so clinical and cold, it's more like watching an acting class than a real story. The film is ostenibly about feelings of betrayal, abandonment, love, finding a new soul mate, loss, etc, but it's all very repressed and shunted aside by the film, which says "Oh you don't really need to see them sad, instead look at these dark empty corridors and this bluish-lit room, and these dim furnishings and trinkets that have only material value." I appreciate symbolism, but Haneke considers empty shots more poignant than his actual film content at times, which only reinforces the rather effortless nature of much of the film.

So we come down to the rub of it. A procedural, clinical nature works wonders for certain types of films. A movie about an affair, love, marriage, hopes, dreams, failures, is not suited for such a nature as this is a kind of movie that is driven by the characters feeling, and Haneke stifles that so he can show you just how bleak and awful and nihilistic life and love are. "Oh sure you try to find a new chance for yourself, but it'll fail, just like trying to improve your class in life will fail. It will all fail." It is the sheer skill of the acting that keeps this film from burrowing itself into a grave and dying, which I'm sure Haneke would have liked to see as befitting his nature.

B

An Alfred Review

Concept/Idea: 10/7

Plot/Story/Characterisation: 10/8

Casting: 10/8

Opening: 5/3

Ending: 5/4

X Factor Bonus: 5/3

Overall: 72%

And for me I'll just say that Haneke's my favourite director of all time and leave it at that. 

I had a pretty good feeling it would do well with critics, but yeah, getting the best reviews so far...

TMF will probably do the best.

I hope so. :)

Innocense is a surprise for the type of film it is. It is deservedly leading the pack, however the stars might aligned for it perfectly with this panel, it could have gotten much lower score with others I guess. It's a huge shout for best foreign film I'd say. 

Great to hear, although something similar happened a while ago with Khanh vs. Corso... Hoping not for a repeat. :P

Current Metacritic Scores

Innocense - 84

Spark 2: Ignition - 80

The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-time - 75

Le Plaisir, Faux - 73

The Adventures Of Tom Sawyer - 56

The Fall Of Boss Tweed - 54

The Academy - 38

Journey and Blank coming tomorrow.

I'm more interested in how Journey will perform. I gave it a C in my pre-read review.

Really? I'm excited for Journey, since the game is apparently great (never played it), and it's Ang Lee's premiere CAYOM film.

I know Blank is very good, though I'm curious to see Ric's take on it. Doesn't seem like his type of film.

Ric's more like an arthouse guy, so I don't see a good reception for Blank from him.

You don't even really know what it's about or what's in it  :lol:

ric's fron Brit stock and generally has a soft spot for Brit films, so I suspect he'll like it but not think too special about it.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 1

I hope so. :)Great to hear, although something similar happened a while ago with Khanh vs. Corso... Hoping not for a repeat. :P

Corso was a pain to research and figure out how to make it cinematic. :lol: