DAR

Disney's Pete's Dragon | August 12, 2016

6 minutes ago, kowhite said:

Cinderella size if they're smart.

Im not saying they're smart.

The first Mary Poppins was huge for Disney.  I can't think they are going to get a name star and put it on a shoestring budget.

4 minutes ago, trifle said:

The first Mary Poppins was huge for Disney.  I can't think they are going to get a name star and put it on a shoestring budget.

Well, the stars are set...Emily Blunt, Lin Manuel Miranda and Meryl Streep.

100m ain't shoestring either.  But it's a musical.  Overseas audiences must be considered.  But...it's one of those who knows...it's the type of movie that might not translate...or really could.  It's a gamble if you go too big.  

Edited by kowhite

7 minutes ago, kowhite said:

100m ain't shoestring either.  But it's a musical.  Overseas audiences must be considered.  But...it's one of those who knows...it's the type of movie that might not translate...or really could.  It's a gamble if you go too big.  

The UK alone would likely make up for any shortfalls in other markets IMO 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, kowhite said:

I agree it is a gamble, but they wouldn't redo a classic live action that brought in so much in film and video unless they were going big, imho.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, trifle said:

I agree it is a gamble, but they wouldn't redo a classic live action that brought in so much in film and video unless they were going big, imho.

Well, let's hope them Hamilton bucks translate to Disney.  He clearly loves Disney.  

43 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I wonder if Mary Poppins Returns budget will be closer to Pete's Dragon or will they go for a budget similar to Cinderella? 

Into the Woods cost $50M to make. I imagine Disney and Rob Marshall will still within that range (though might go higher since the project isn't as much of an outlier from the norm for them).

50 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Into the Woods cost $50M to make. I imagine Disney and Rob Marshall will still within that range (though might go higher since the project isn't as much of an outlier from the norm for them).

Thats...possible...

Edited by kowhite

1 hour ago, trifle said:

I hope so.  It apparently hasn't shown up on the top 5 list for Pulse OR MT yet, so I'm thinking it may open lower.

That's discouraging. Hopefully that's just because it's a family film, and it does better then expected.

1 hour ago, kowhite said:

Its be decent indeed.  I think it's quite reasonable.  We'll see on the opening, this summer box office has been harsh.

Yeah, but the films themselves have largely been underwhelming. Pete's Dragon could be seen as bit of fresh air in the summer landscape.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

That's discouraging. Hopefully that's just because it's a family film, and it does better then expected.

Yeah, but the films themselves have largely been underwhelming. Pete's Dragon could be seen as bit of fresh air in the summer landscape.

They have been.  But openings are still harsh.  Reason I think legs will be good.  But I think opening will still be solid.  For a good family film, high 20s or as I'm starting g to think, mid to low 30s, very good.

3 minutes ago, kowhite said:

They have been.  But openings are still harsh.  Reason I think legs will be good.  But I think opening will still be solid.  For a good family film, high 20s or as I'm starting g to think, mid to low 30s, very good.

Considering the relatively low budget, for the type of film Pete's Dragon is anyway, mid to low 30's is pretty good.

10 minutes ago, kowhite said:

It would be good.  It's budgeted for that type of performance.

Disney...it's rare I say that about them.

Between this and Cinderella, Disney's been doing a pretty good job at not making some of there films more expensive then they should be.