DAR

Disney's Pete's Dragon | August 12, 2016

4 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Sadly, sometimes I think finding a real dragon is more likely than ever seeing a traditionally animated movie in the mainstream again.

There was one last year, it's called Spongebob and it made $160M, I would say that is pretty mainstream

14 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

I don't know why Disney decided this movie was in need of a big budget remake, but at least they won't be accused of raping anyone's childhood here

How to Train Your Dragon probably encouraged them to give their own "boy and his dragon" tale an update.

10 minutes ago, Total Treecall said:

There was one last year, it's called Spongebob and it made $160M, I would say that is pretty mainstream

OK, you got me. However, it was advertised as majority CG. Also, it's Spongebob. It's not like a studio made a risky venture with it.

Edited by cannastop

Every year Disney has some big bombs, this is one of candidates, my opinion though. One reason is this movie and jungle book are the same type kind of movies ( the teasers are similar too). Disney is dumb to put these two movies in the same year.

Edited by kkccoo

I thought that this was going to bomb since it is remaking a bland children story, but they are making it Jungle book/super 8/HTTYD style. Should have known, since it was Disney. I like Lowery as a director and the cast is decent. I can see 100m domestic for it

8 hours ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

So it's a dark and gritty remake of the original.

It's a modern-day live-action Disney remake/reboot. It's literally the only card they got right now.

The only exception will be next year's Beauty and the Beast which I hear is really more like a film adaptation of the Broadway show. And hell, you already KNOW that the teaser will also be "epic". 

Just shrugged at this one. I feel hard pressed to actually care (don't care for the original either) but it amuses me on how similar this feels to Jungle Book at the moment.

Edited by goldenstate5