DAR

Disney's Pete's Dragon | August 12, 2016

I am a huge fan of the original and I can't even-

I was really excited for this, but I don't even know how it's meant to resemble the original given the changes mentioned in Pete's backstory.  

Also the design for Elliott is kind of wtf.  They could have made him furry and kept him looking like a dragon, especially in the face.

20 minutes ago, Sal said:

I am a huge fan of the original and I can't even-

I was really excited for this, but I don't even know how it's meant to resemble the original given the changes mentioned in Pete's backstory.  

Also the design for Elliott is kind of wtf.  They could have made him furry and kept him looking like a dragon, especially in the face.

I've never liked the original tbh. Too saccharine and cheesy for my tastes. I'm confident, given the talent both in front and behind the camera, this will offer a more compelling version of the story.

36 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

You guys are fools. This looks awesome. I am sick and tired of the dragons that Hollywood/GOT keeps showing..they all mostly have the same face and skin texture. This looks unique in design and color, so it's got my approval. 

I would have preferred a more camel/equine look.  Cats and dogs are so overused in the design of everything nowadays.  There are a ton of weird animals that would make for excellent (and unique) dragon designs.  They don't all have to be Cat/Dog with wings 2.0

Seriously.  Ditching one overused design element for another overused design element isn't really being particularly bold or unique.

Edited by Sal
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Sal said:

I would have preferred a more camel/equine look.  Cats and dogs are so overused in the design of everything nowadays.  There are a ton of weird animals that would make for excellent (and unique) dragon designs.  They don't all have to be Cat/Dog with wings 2.0

Seriously.  Ditching one overused design element for another overused design element isn't really being particularly bold or unique.

I haven't seen this cat/dog/feathery dragon before, so for me this is new. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sal said:

It's a Disney family movie. Chances are the creature was designed with possible toy sales from it involved, and going with something "cuddly" is far more likely to sell.

• Like 1

Oh, they certainly want to make money on toy sales and stuff.  They're just cashing in on a trend that's been popular on internet art sites and social media sites for a long time now.  If you look at things like neopets, they've definitely been cashing in on the idea of cat/dog based dragons.  There was even an episode of Bob's Burgers that had "Catdragons".

bobs-burgers-game-of-thrones-125693.jpg

I have no doubt that they're trying to up the cute factor.  I never disagreed with that part.  I only disagree with the notion that this direction for the design is somehow unique.  It's not even that unique when you consider that outside of western dragons, it's not actually that uncommon to have dragons with fur or feathers.

Most Eastern dragon designs have at least some fur on them, and they often have blunter, more doglike faces.

eastern_dragon_by_dabbersdoodle-d38zhyb.

stock-photo-chinese-dragon-statue-in-tem

And full-on fur and feathers is actually a pretty popular look for 'cute' style dragons

pierre_the_feline_dragon_by_dolphy.jpg

It's not even unheard of in media already!

WYYTTVAUMB.JPG

As I said, Disney shouldn't be lauded for being 'unique' in their design of Elliott.  I don't personally enjoy it, but the fuzziness is probably going to increase their bottom line.  I kind of wish they'd gone full out and used a full Eastern Dragon aesthetic though, if they weren't going for something actually unique.