A Bug's Life

23 members have voted

1. 1. Grade A Bug's Life

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

It's a fun film, but it's definitely one indicative of the time it came out. Lots of bizarre aesthetic choices that wouldn't fly for a CGI movie released today. Even as a kid I was always freaked out by the bird with the realistic herky-jerky movement against the fluid animation of the main characters.

Flik and Dot have a terrific dynamic, the circus bugs make for fun comic relief and Hopper is a pretty solid villain. All in all it's a familiar story done in an entertaining fashion, but it lacks the emotional hook that has come to define Pixar recently.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

The movie is just "good." I liked it more when there were fewer Pixar films, but the more movies got added to the Pixar canon, the less special it became. But I still think it's a fun movie that gets ignored simply because it doesn't have anything special to say, it's not as imaginative as the later stuff, and (as tribefan said) it doesn't have the emotional hook of a Monsters Inc. or Finding Nemo.

B

Edited by TServo2049

A Bug’s Life is the only Pixar movie I have no memories or nostalgia for. Thus, even though this was a revisit, it felt very much like a hidden Pixar movie I had never seen. The results are... mixed. I certainly enjoyed watching it; the circus bugs are a load of fun, and the way the film plays with scale is really intriguing. However, Flik is such a boring character, and honestly, none of the ants stand-out as being particularly interesting. The story is pretty rote, and the animation impresses at points, but at others, looks really ugly. A Bug’s Life is a necessary second feature for Pixar, breaking their formula in a lot of ways. It’s just a shame that it still feels derivative and is uneven in quality. A fun watch that nevertheless earns its forgettable reputation. C+