Impact

Animated Feature-2013

Despicable Me 2 will only be nominated due to it being enormously popular. I just don't see it winning given how lackluster it is especially compared to the first one.

DM2 won't be nominated because the first one wasn't nominated, and even though they're both steaming piles of crap, DM2 is a lot worse

I could see DM2 getting nominated. There was only 3 nominees in 2010 and probably 5 this year and I think Frozen, Wind Rises and MU are getting in and there's 2 spots open to whatever.

I'd see The Croods, Cloudy 2, or Epic all getting over DM2

Not to mention the indies no one's seen

Edited by Blankments

Frozen has been getting great reviews lately, and I am honestly very excited for it. It's the most anticipated animated movie of the year (and for an animation dork like me, the most-anticipated movie overall). So I think and hope it will win. I haven't seen The Wind Rises yet, but I believe it's Frozen only major competition. DM2 has no chance, but MU does, though it shouldn't win in opinion as it wasn't that good. I agree with the people who said that this year has been weak in terms of animated movies. the only movie I really liked so far was the Croods, but that got relatively many "rotten" reviews for whatever reason.

I'd see The Croods, Cloudy 2, or Epic all getting over DM2Not to mention the indies no one's seen

I would love to see Epic sneaking in. It was thoroughly engaging and has wonderful visuals. Unfortunately, it seems the momentum isn't on its favor given how it underperformed and was released far enough last summer.FrozenThe Wind RisesMonsters UniversityErnest and CelestineDespicable Me 2/The Croods
  • Like 2

I would love to see Epic sneaking in. It was thoroughly engaging and has wonderful visuals. Unfortunately, it seems the momentum isn't on its favor given how it underperformed and was released far enough last summer.FrozenThe Wind RisesMonsters UniversityErnest and CelestineDespicable Me 2/The Croods

Seems right to me. Frozen, TWR and Ernest and Celestine are definite locks. Probably MU too as it is a non-Cars Pixar movie. So I guess it is between DM2 and The Croods for the last spot. Odds are in DM2's favor thanks to its BO performance, but actually it should be Croods which was a far better movie.

• Like 2

I would love to see Epic sneaking in. It was thoroughly engaging and has wonderful visuals. Unfortunately, it seems the momentum isn't on its favor given how it underperformed and was released far enough last summer.

I thought Epic was absolutely awful, but each to their own, I suppose.

I saw Frozen yesterday, and it's definitely getting the Oscar. Other animated features released this year don't even compare. Oh, and the beginning completely blew me away. You folks have to see it.

The whole film was great, but the beginning was the best part, agreed.

After seeing most of this year's features:

The Wind Rises

Monsters University

Ernest & Celestine

Frozen

The Croods (DM2 could sneak in instead, though)

I'm thinking The Wind Rises will take the Oscar for being Miyazaki's final film, and this year being extremely weak.

Edited by Ladybug

After seeing most of this year's features:

The Wind Rises

Monsters University

Ernest & Celestine

Frozen

The Croods (DM2 could sneak in instead, though)

I'm thinking The Wind Rises will take the Oscar for being Miyazaki's final film, and this year being extremely weak.

I agree with this list, DM2 could sneak by but it would be an incredibly undeserving and one of the poorest films ever nominated for animated feature.

I also agree that Frozen isn't a total lock just yet. It sounds silly but the Academy may have a hard time taking it seriously because it's been slapped with the 'princess label' and visually, is very cartoony - a style that traditionally hasn't sat well with the Academy when Pixar isn't involved. The Wind Rises is the only alternative, particularly if they're feeling sentimental.

Edited by pieman