Impact

Animated Feature-2013

After seeing most of this year's features:

The Wind Rises

Monsters University

Ernest & Celestine

Frozen

The Croods (DM2 could sneak in instead, though)

I'm thinking The Wind Rises will take the Oscar for being Miyazaki's final film, and this year being extremely weak.

I'm sure the Academy is smarter than that. Is it really fair to give a man such a prestigious award just because the film nominated is his final film? I hope we all agree that the answer is "no." The Award should go to the animated movie with the highest quality overall. Now that's subjective, but please, folks, stop saying that Miyazaki should get it for that reason. It makes no sense.

• Like 2

Considering how Brave won last year, I'm not sure how much the Princess label really makes a difference. The Wind Rises could still be a spoiler, though.

But Brave was a Pixar film. 

A film like Frozen has never won before - a rather traditional Disney musical, it may not be sophisticated enough for the Academy.

Blank's Projections If Critics Were Perfect Precursors

The Croods
Ernest and Celestine
Frozen
Monsters University
The Wind Rises

I hope Despicable Me 2 gets a nom over the Croods, for the pure fact that Despicable Me was robbed of a nomination 2011 when they could only nominate 3 (and Tangled and Despicable Me both really deserved a spot to make 5).

Honestly, this year could use just 3 noms.

• Like 1

I'm sure the Academy is smarter than that. Is it really fair to give a man such a prestigious award just because the film nominated is his final film? I hope we all agree that the answer is "no." The Award should go to the animated movie with the highest quality overall. Now that's subjective, but please, folks, stop saying that Miyazaki should get it for that reason. It makes no sense.

As if the Academy hasn't been biased before...idealistically the award would go the the highest quality film, but that hasn't always been the case. (See: Brave's win over the more deserving and acclaimed ParaNorman, Frankenweenie or Wreck-It Ralph). Remember, it's whatever appeals to the Academy first and foremost, and I would think an award to a decent final film from such an acclaimed director would be a good farewell...But if Hollywood wins over foreign films again, I would say Frozen's the best bet. 

Edited by Ladybug