Impact

Animated Feature-2013

I hope Despicable Me 2 gets a nom over the Croods, for the pure fact that Despicable Me was robbed of a nomination 2011 when they could only nominate 3 (and Tangled and Despicable Me both really deserved a spot to make 5).

Honestly, this year could use just 3 noms.

uhhh no, Croods>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DM2

Also, as I said in another thread, these projections aren't my actual predicts

• Like 1

I have a feeling that The Croods will be more to the academy's taste than Despicable Me 2. 

I dunno, Croods is more a VFX showcase than a real story. A well-done one, but a showcase nonetheless. DM2 tries to have a real emotional arc. Only thing Croods might have over it is that it's an original.

Edited by tribefan695

I loved DM2 :D I can't pick between that, Frozen and MU for top animated flick so far. A friend of mine seems baffled that I want to wait to say I have a favourite animated film of the year until I've seen The Wind Rises. He's a film buff that hasn't seen any Miyazaki so his opinion needs to be declared invalid ;)

I thought both DM2 and Croods were both okay. But, while I enjoyed them, they were nothing special or fantastic.

Cloudy 2's my favourite animated flick of the year so far, narrowly topping Frozen, but that's more down to personal taste and I accept Frozen is the superior film. 

Honestly, it's not been a particularly strong year for animated films overall though. 

I've talked about this somewhere else, but the Wind Rises is honestly an uncomfortable picture for many of the East Asians. I know the protagonist of the film only intended to craft beautiful planes and he didn't want them to be war machines but that was in fact what they were. the war machines. Even though the movie was about more personal kind of story accidentally happened to be staged in such a crazy time, it could have been more careful depicting the historical settings. Given that countless people from Korea or other East Asian countries under the Japanese colonial regime were in fact dragged and forced to die in those particular planes fighting for Japan altho for one man it was just about his romantic dreams and fantasies about making amazing planes and he couldn't do anything about those planes becoming war machines. I don't know for western critics but for many of the Asian GA it's way too unnecessarily beautiful and romantic and personal thus irresponsible. It could have shown more ugly sides of the crazy time's nature. Some may think it's one uber political way of seeing the movie but you can't entirely leave out the political nature of some stuff like war and genocide.

Edited by yjs

I've talked about this somewhere else, but the Wind Rises is honestly an uncomfortable picture for many of the East Asians. I know the protagonist of the film only intended to craft beautiful planes and he didn't want them to be war machines but that was in fact what they were. the war machines. Even though the movie was about more personal kind of story accidentally happened to be staged in such a crazy time, it could have been more careful depicting the historical settings. Given that countless people from Korea or other East Asian countries under the Japanese colonial regime were in fact dragged and forced to die in those particular planes fighting for Japan altho for one man it was just about his romantic dreams and fantasies about making amazing planes and he couldn't do anything about those planes becoming war machines. I don't know for western critics but for many of the Asian GA it's way too unnecessarily beautiful and romantic and personal thus irresponsible. It could have shown more ugly sides of the crazy time's nature. Some may think it's one uber political way of seeing the movie but you can't entirely leave out the political nature of some stuff like war and genocide.

I do think politics could play a factor when American voters view the film since he was also indirectly responsible for Pearl Harbor. No doubt they hurt Zero Dark Thirty's chances last year.

• Like 1

Well the Japanese did many bad things during WW2 for sure also.

Anyway-too bad there is no Pixar film next year.

Monsters U was not as good as Monsters Inc, but still it was not a bad film. (Remember also MI would of been a shock if it won, as Shrek was even nominated at the Globes)

(And I really only see any anti Pixar stuff on here)

Edited by Impact
  • Like 1