riczhang

Favourite Movies of All Time

I've recently been updating my list and I've gotten up to #50 (not set in stone yet, but I'm fairly sure). I'm interested to see what everyone's top lists are. Post as big of a list as you guys want: 

Here's Mine:

[*]All Quiet on the Western Front [*]Citizen Kane [*]North by Northwest [*]Napoleon (1927) [*]Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (2012) [*]Rear Window [*]Casablanca [*]Sunset Boulevard [*]La Regle du Jeu (The Rules of the Game) [*]Gone with the Wind [*]Lawrence of Arabia [*]Amour (Love) [*]The Birth of a Nation [*]The Godfather  Trilogy [*]Once Upon a Time in the West [*]There Will Be Blood [*]Amadeus [*]Sophie’s Choice [*]Les Enfants du Paradis (Children of Paradise) [*]The Deer Hunter [*]Vertigo [*]Manhatten [*]2001: A Space Odyssey [*]La Dolce Vita [*]8 ½ [*]My Beautiful Laundrette [*]Silence of the Lambs [*]Metropolis [*]Psycho [*]The Thin Red Line [*]The Three Colours Trilogy [*]Hiroshima, Mon Amour [*]La Pianiste (The Piano Teacher) [*]From Russia with Love [*]Apocalypse Now [*]Nosferatu [*]Barry Lyndon [*]One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest [*]The Lion in Winter [*]Funny Games [*]All About Eve [*]Greed [*]Il Gattopardo (The Leopard) [*]In the Mood for Love [*]Hamlet (Olivier) [*]Hamlet (Branagh) [*]The Magnificent Ambersons [*]Rope [*]On Her Majesty’s Secret Service [*]The Battleship Potemkin

I think we've tried to do a forum top 100 about 20 times. If we do one, we should do rankings 1-100 and go by most number 1s, 2s, etc, rather than trying to convert to points. Whichever film has the most 1s should win. I've tried to edit my list about a million times. Here's my top 2: MagnoliaForrest Gump

The problem with doing that is that, as seen on this year's IMDB awards, it rewards Passion too heavily and with a small votership we get some very odd(putting it very kindly) choices. 

Yeah, but I say we don't make a list without like at least 50 lists. Assigning points just messes everything up, IMO.

Rope is just brilliant.  And i'm surprised that you made a comment about Amour but not about Tinker Tailor. :lol: It's at #5 

Surprising, but I loved tinker tailor (not enough for my list, but still). I was just about to post about it, though :P

My top 5 are pretty much tied. I actually debated putting it at #1. :lol: But decided against it. The biggest shift this time for me was switching Kane and All Quiet around. A few years ago I would've thought that Kane was untouchable at the top, but I rewatched both of them and I preferred All Quiet just a tad more. 

Nice list. Some of my favourites...

1. Rear Window

2. The Social Network

3. Little Miss Sunshine

4. Spirited Away

5. The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

Some others: Trainspotting, Moon, Departures, Fargo, Psycho, The Apartment, Dial M For Murder, Happy Go Lucky, The Lion King, Planet of the Apes, Persepolis, A Single Man, The 400 Blows, The Terminator, Princess Mononoke, Monsters Inc, All About Eve, Koyaanisqatsi, The Diving Bell and The Butterfly...  After the 5th position I really don't know how to rank them anymore.

Actually, except for Life of Pi, there wasn't a single movie I saw in the last 12 months that I loved. I haven't been watching many films, and for some reason I don't want to go after the classics that every movie website loves. Like Godfather, I still haven't seen it, and I don't think I'll do it soon;

I need to branch out more in indie-foreign cinema (you guys probably all think I'm crazy :lol:) I'd don't like subtitles much so I basically stay within the confines of English, French, and Italian cinema. Other European cinema I'm decently familiar with, but the only chinese language films I've watch (and I can recall) are Ang Lee's early works, Kar-Wai Wong's, and Zhang Yimou's. And that's about as mainstream as you can get for foreigners watching chinese cinema. :lol: Japanese cinema, I know a lot of the classic directors, I don't like most of it. Rashoman's just boring and bad. Don't even get me started on Studio Ghibli. I think Tokyo Story's the only film I genuinely thought was good that was in Japanese. 

I've already seen many japanese movies, but I have never seen the classic ones. Shara, Confessions, The Mourning Forest, Guilty of Romance and Departures are the ones I like most. The others are all animated. Japanese movies are usually very slow paced and introspective, I like that. I've already seen some korean movies too, but only random ones, nothing really interesting. Oldboy is the best one I can remember.

Don't even get me started on Studio Ghibli.

You dislike Ghibli movies?

Edited by JohnnY

In chronological order, because I don't wanna fry my brain trying to rank anything beyond the top 3.

[*]Tretya Meschanskaya - Abram Room, 1927 [*]Modern Times - Charlie Chaplin, 1936 [*]The Shop Around the Corner - Ernst Lubitsch, 1940 [*]Casablanca - Michael Curtiz, 1942 [*]Double Indemnity - Billy Wilder, 1944 [*]The Third Man - Carol Reed, 1949 [*]Rashōmon - Akira Kurosava, 1950 [*]A Streetcar Named Desire - Elia Kazan, 1951 [*]Vertigo - Alfred Hitchcock, 1958 [*]Some Like It Hot - Billy Wilder, 1959 [*]Lawrence of Arabia - David Lean, 1962 [*]Rosemary’s Baby - Roman Polanski, 1968 [*]Once Upon a Time in the West – Sergio Leone, 1968 [*]The Conformist - Bernardo Bertolucci, 1970 [*]Five Easy Pieces – Bob Rafelson, 1970 [*]The French Connection - William Friedkin, 1971 [*]A Clockwork Orange - Stanley Kubrick, 1971 [*]The Sting - George Roy Hill, 1973 [*]Chinatown - Roman Polanski, 1974 [*]The Godfather: Part II - Francis Ford Coppola, 1974 [*]Professione: reporter - Mickelangelo Antonioni, 1975 [*]Jaws - Steven Spielberg, 1975 [*]Taxi Driver - Martin Scorsese, 1976 [*]The Duellists - Ridley Scott, 1977 [*]Saturday Night Fever - John Badham, 1977 [*]The Driver - Walter Hill, 1978 [*]Days of Heaven - Terrence Malick, 1978 [*]Apocalypse Now - Francis Ford Coppola, 1979 [*]The Shining - Stanley Kubrick, 1980 [*]Raging Bull - Martin Scorsese, 1980 [*]An American Werewolf in London - John Landis, 1981 [*]Once Upon a Time in America - Sergio Leone, 1984 [*]Back to the Future - Robert Zemeckis, 1985 [*]Aliens - James Cameron, 1986 [*]Stand by Me - Rob Reiner, 1986 [*]The Fly - David Cronenberg, 1986 [*]Angel Heart - Alan Parker, 1987 [*]Withnail & I - Bruce Robinson, 1987 [*]Monsieur Hire - Patrice Leconte, 1989 [*]Goodfellas - Martin Scorsese, 1990 [*]The Hairdresser's Husband - Patrice Leconte, 1990 [*]Naked Lunch - David Cronenberg, 1991 [*]Reservoir Dogs - Quentin Tarantino, 1992 [*]Porco Rosso - Hiyao Miyazaki, 1992 [*]Glengarry Glen Ross - James Foley, 1992 [*]Schindler’s List - Steven Spielberg, 1993 [*]Pulp Fiction - Quentin Tarantino, 1994 [*]Forrest Gump - Robert Zemeckis, 1994 [*]Heavenly Creatures - Peter Jackson, 1994 [*]The Shawshank Redemption - Frank Darabont, 1994 [*]Ed Wood - Tim Burton, 1994 [*]Giorgino - Laurent Boutonnat, 1994 [*]Underground – Emir Kusturica, 1995 [*]Dead Man - Jim Jarmusch, 1995 [*]Seven - David Fincher, 1995 [*]Heat – Michael Mann, 1995 [*]Lost Highway - David Lynch, 1997 [*]Jackie Brown - Quentin Tarantino, 1997 [*]The Big Lebowski - Joel & Ethan Coen, 1998 [*]Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - Terry Gilliam, 1998 [*]Happiness - Todd Solondz, 1998 [*]Election - Alexander Payne, 1999 [*]Pola X – Leos Carax, 1999 [*]Fight Club - David Fincher, 1999 [*]Memento – Christopher Nolan, 2000 [*]Moulin Rouge! - Baz Luhrmann, 2001 [*]No Man’s Land - Danis Tanovic, 2001 [*]Punch-Drunk Love - Paul Thomas Anderson, 2002 [*]Irréversible - Gaspar Noé, 2002 [*]Big Fish - Tim Burton, 2003 [*]Kill Bill - Quentin Tarantino, 2003-2004 [*]The Incredibles – Brad Bird, 2004 [*]Brick - Rian Johnson, 2005 [*]Pyl (Dust) – Sergei Loban, 2005 [*]The Proposition - John Hillcoat, 2005 [*]Zodiac - David Fincher, 2007 [*]The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford - Andrew Dominik, 2007 [*]There Will Be Blood - Paul Thomas Anderson, 2007 [*]In the Loop - Armando Iannucci, 2009 [*]Inglourious Basterds - Quentin Tarantino, 2009 [*]Valhalla Rising - Nicolas Winding Refn, 2009 [*]A Serious Man - Joel & Ethan Coen, 2009 [*]Exit Through the Gift Shop - Banksy, 2010 [*]Shutter Island - Martin Scorsese, 2010 [*]The Social Network - David Fincher, 2010 [*]The Turin Horse - Béla Tarr & Agnes Hranizki, 2011 [*]We Need to Talk About Kevin - Lynne Ramsay, 2011 [*]Drive – Nicolas Winding Refn, 2011 [*]Chapiteau-show – Sergei Loban, 2011 [*]Zero Dark Thirty – Kathryn Bigelow, 2012

1. Pulp Fiction (1994)
2. Jaws (1975)
3. The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
4. Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
5. Beverly Hills Cop (1984)
6. Alien (1979)
7. Predator (1987)
8. Taxi Driver (1976)
9. Seven (1995)
10. Goodfellas (1990)
11. The Shining (1980)
12. Halloween (1978)