American Psycho

26 members have voted

1. 1. Grade American Psycho

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Eh, I thought the movie was stupid, and I didn't even finish it all the way through, so got up about halfway and left the theaters. Only movie I ever did walk out of. After trying to watch Batman Begins and Terminator 4, I realize, I just don't like Christian Bale's acting.

Read the book. Best i´ve ever read.The film di´ent hold up

I liked the book as a teen, but after broadening my literary horizons I realised Easton Ellis is really a bit of a hack who happened to find a niche. David Foster Wallace sums it up:"If what's always distinguished bad writing--flat characters, a narrative world that's clichéd and not recognizably human, etc.--is also a description of today's world, then bad writing becomes an ingenious mimesis of a bad world. If readers simply believe the world is stupid and shallow and mean, then Bret Easton Ellis can write a mean shallow stupid novel that becomes a mordant deadpan commentary on the badness of everything."The film sees the funny side, at least, and Ellis himself has acknowledged it works well as a 'greatest hits' of the novel. It's also still Bale's best performance. Edited by Hatebox

I recently watched this for the first time in years a couple weeks ago, loved every minute. Bale is phenomenal. And it is so funny. "Courtney, you should take some more lithium or have a diet coke. It might get you out of this slump". AOn another note I had to read the book for school a few years ago and really didn't like it, and didn't bother finishing it. The endless pages of descriptions of characters' clothes got to be too much for me.

• Like 1

Was it all in his head? Going by the book: No. Going by the movie: Absolutely!And did he ever return those videotapes?

Okay I never read the book but I was always unsure if he imagined everything as it happened in the movie. Edited by DAR

Social commentary is great but the movie messes it up.

The ridiculous ATM machine, spree of kills in the open, exploding police cars and chainsaw drop each defeats the purpose of said commentary.

It is really brilliant if you think about the anonymity of people up to a point. However, the fact that you have some grounded characters in the story such as the detective, means that the fact he can't get caught is unbelievable. Sure, it is sly that the estate agent also knows that the apartment had a massive secret, but, the fact there's a dead girl in a pool of blood with a chainsaw stuck in her and the police are part of this materialistic mess destroys the movie's credibility.

So, C+

American Psycho is a ridiculously silly movie, but it’s so fun. The dark humor usually works, and Bale’s performance is just zany enough to make the whole film enjoyable when he’s on screen. The music selection in particular is exemplary, and the finale is absurd in a sense that fits the rest of the film. The only major issue it has it becomes repetitive by the last hour and the easy-going vibe just becomes too much at that point. Still, American Psycho is an amusing film with a really invigorating central performance at its heart. A nice dark comedy. B+