Wadey Wilsoney

That movie didn't age very well

We often hear "That movie didn't age very well" or "It feels dated".Are there any movies you feel that fits that description? Is it because of the visual effects?Or maybe certain story elements that used to shock or be original at that time just aren't anymore? Perhaps it's the mention of a date in the movie that has already come to pass, ala Terminator's "1997".What are your thoughts?

They already did back in 2005. Those CGI cars looked like badly animated Hotwheels.

Yeah, but I remember how everyone was jerking off to the "visionary" effects, and I just never got it. Its not an appealing movie to look at, especially today now that the effects have aged

Regarding VFX I usually take into consideration what was possible by the time the film was made. Technology evolves at a much faster rate than storytelling does, so it's much harder to stand the test of time.

That said I find it kind of bizarre watching an older film that envisioned the 2010s as something entirely different than it turned out to be.

Edited by C00k13
  • Like 1

Back to the Future Part II is going to turn into one of these in a couple years if it hasn't already. The Cubs need to win the World Series, which, if the past 104 years have been any indication, probably won't happen anytime soon.

• Like 1

Avatar.  Talk about pure novelty and nothing else.

How has it not aged well? It's nearly 4 years old and still no film is yet to match it visually. we get it, you didn't like the film, cool leave it at that rather than embarrassing yourself by posting pointless crap.
  • Like 3

If we're talking about visual effects, then genereally expensive CGI age bettere than cheap CGI, simply CGI age better than heavy CGI, practical effects age better than CGI.

CGI in Avatar is heavy, but it's also very expensive. Avatar will never age as well as films like 2001, or T2, but comparing to films in the same era, it will age pretty well.

It depends some of the old movies the effects do not look great but still pretty cool.

Like in Star Wars when the Death Star Explodes or when the parting of the sea and such...

T2 has aged well because it mostly had real effects.

I say a lot of the 70's or 80's comedies. 

• Like 1

How has it not aged well? It's nearly 4 years old and still no film is yet to match it visually. we get it, you didn't like the film, cool leave it at that rather than embarrassing yourself by posting pointless crap.

Posted Image

I'm so sorry if I'm not enamored by great looking and empty 3D movie, especially after the novelty is gone.

And no movie has matched Avatar visually yet?  Lol, thats certainly debatable.

Edited by Shpongle
  • Like 3

I don't ever think that a movie feels dated. To me it's a ridiculous statement because a movie is made during a certain time period. It seems silly to expect the special effects to not improve with modern movies or for the sound to not improve. The way movies are made will change. However, that doesn't mean that a movie is dated.

As for a movie not holding up, I don't think it has to do with the time period when the movie was made. t has to do with originally over-rating a movie when it was new or viewing it with adult eyes when you originally viewed it through the eyes of a child.

Batman Forever didn't hold up. Not because it is dated or because TDK was better, but because it wasn't really that good. I mistakenly thought it was. The first Superman movie for the same reason. 3 Ninjas doesn't hold up either. Buffy the Vampire Slayer doesn't hold up. This isn't because any of these movies are dated. It's because they weren't as good as I originally thought, so they each get downgraded to different extents.

Movies that are heavy in special effects but stink without them may seem dated because once the special effects are outdated, people realize that the movie wasn't as good as they originally thought. The Transformers movies will be an example of this because eventually the special effects will look stale and the movies weren't that good.

If a movie is truly a great movie then it will hold up and never get the title of dated....except with certain younger viewers who have no taste for the classics, but people like that aren't on movie websites like this for the most part.

• Like 2

LMFAO! Are you fucking kidding me?! You really think there is yet a film to match it visually? Avatar wasn't even the most visually beautiful film of  its year.

• Like 3

Avatar's an odd case since it straddles the borderline between live action and animated lots of the time. I think some of the big CGIness of it that looks a bit off-place is purposeful to demonstrate the lush otherworldness of Pandora.