Tuesday adm. (so far)     October 2
Rank Title LW TW WKD % chg QD % chg
1 Ted -- 16,568 -- -17.5%
2 Upside Down -- 4,018 -- -17.6%
3 Taken 2 -- 3,793 -- -10.9%
4 Due West -- 2,510 -- -4.2%
5 Resident Evil: Retribution -- 2,386 -- -8.9%

Huge drops in pre-sales for all films.

Next year, summer animation will be extremely competitive with 4 movies already set with a release date.

2013 Summer Animation Schedule

Release Date Movie Title
June 27 Epic
July 4 Despicable Me 2
July 11 Monsters University
August 1 The Smurfs 2

Epic will fare the worst of the 4 but it does have the July 1 holiday and it is first out of the gate. The first Despicable Me opened softly and it's total wasn't anything spectacular so I only see a slight increase for the sequel. Monsters University has a pretty good release date and it is far away from The Smurfs. Pixar movies have tapered off in HK with Brave bombing here but Monsters University could be the film to right the Pixar ship. The Smurfs 2 is coming off a successful predecessor where it was one of the lone bright spots for animation in 2010. I see a bigger increase and it will duel MU for the summer animation title.

Turbo hasn't gotten a release date yet so theoretically, it could slot in the July 18 spot or around mid August.

Comparing TBL's HK gross to Singapore's doesn't tell the whole story though. The Bourne series has never been popular in HK and TBL managed to increase from The Bourne Ultimatum. Call it a disappointment if you want but it is no flop.

Ok yeah. I was just assuming it would take off in Asian countries. I called it a flop cause Firedeep did. :lol: Yeah it increased from Ultimatum by a tiny bit. So I guess that's a good thing. Not really disappointed just for HK but overall I guess.

2-day holiday estimates    
Rank Title 2 day est. Total (Oct. 2)
1 Ted $700,000 $2,025,000
2 Taken 2 $220,000 $420,000
3 Upside Down $205,000 $525,000
4 Due West $165,000 $1,670,000
5 Looper $100,000 $235,000

Ted exploded and has already passed The Hangover 2. Taken 2 has also been building momentum ahead of its official release as it is already grossed 2/3 of Taken's cume. It also overtook Upside Down as the weekend progressed and has been widening the gap. Taken 2 will increase next week based on it having 4 days as opposed to 2 and it will pass 1.2m. Upside Down performed decently but it is starting to show cracks. It had the smallest increase on Monday and has been falling behind Taken 2 every day since Taken 2 came out. Due West had no noticeable holiday effect but next week it should have the best hold of all the holdovers. Looper has grown tremendously throughout the week as it more than doubled its Thursday admissions on Sunday and Monday saw it have the biggest increase of the top 5.

Actuals (through October 2)

1. Ted - $1,999,984 (6 day weekend actual)

2. Upside Down - $490,002 (6 day weekend actual)

3. Due West - $1,680,193

4. Taken 2 - $373,949 (4 day weekend actual)

Looper - $180,527 (6 day weekend actual)

The Assassins - $109,605 (5 day weekend actual)

Finding Nemo 3D - $91,553 (4 day weekend actual)

Magic Mike - $83,816 (6 day weekend actual)

Intouchables - $772,399

Resident Evil: Retribution - $2,533,829

The Bullet Vanishes - $973,558

Almost everything was overestimated. Due West was the only film to be underestimated.

Not much change at the top. It's still an excellent sum for Ted. Pretty decent for Upside Down and while Taken 2 went down $50,000, it's still an excellent preview launch. Response so far has been encouraging and word of mouth has been very good. Bodes extremely well for its official start this week. Looper faltered. Terrible for The Assassins. Not bad for Finding Nemo compared to past 3D re-releases. Magic Mike stunk. Not even $100,000 with 2 holidays to help it. Yikes. Weak word of mouth from Contagion and Haywire, its subject matter and its III rating are to blame. Intouchables continues its push for 1m. Resident Evil 5 is the first of the series to pass 2.5m. The Bullet Vanishes will creep past 1m.

Went to see Due West 3D and Ted at UA's iSquare today. I had such a brilliant day. We were in screen 1 for both films and that is probably the best cinema I've ever been in. Leather seats, free popcorn and two huge soft drinks (for both screenings), stadium seating, lovely clear picture, no fuss, just a really nice time.

Due West is an absolutely brilliant movie. If you love tits, big ones, small ones, lovely natural tits, then watch this movie. Funny as well, a really good laugh, but the sex is the selling point, or the circumstances of the sex, rather. This film has no right being in 3D, it adds pretty much nothing to the experience. I've had a great experience today. I sat in a cinema with about 60 other people watching a movie with loads of sex and nudity in it, which a couple of years ago would have been really awkward, but it was really enjoyable. I was so surprised to see it so full, but I guess as it's the only screening for the whole day it makes sense.

I like that cinema so much that I will go back there for next time. I may try some of the other suggestions too, but this one had it all. Eventually, of course, I will try all of the ones you recommended. Thanks for doing that again. Really helped me out.

I'm going to check out the UA Megabox tomorrow. It's one of the only UA cinemas to still be showing Dredd 3D, and for such a cheap price too (HK$75). All others seems to be HK$120. Tried to make it worth my while but I couldn't find another movie to see besides this Japanese sex movie called Helter Skelter. So, I may see that too.

Skyfall garnered $346,399 from 40,134 admissions on Thursday. It is looking at a 1.9-2m OW. It will be the only Bond film to pass 3m and 4m.But next week, Cold War makes its highly anticipated debut on the big screen. If this week doesn't turn out to be the biggest November weekend ever, next week will.

Sunday will decide whether or not Skyfall breaks 2m this weekend. It'll be very close. It cannot drop more than 6.5% on Sunday. If it does, 2m will not happen.Even if Skyfall doesn't achieve this, it has already made more in 3 days than it did with CR/QoS's OW. Skyfall's OW will increase 65% from CR/QoS at the very least.That's not all. This weekend has a shot of being the biggest November weekend on record. The record is held by the November 3rd weekend from last year. If Skyfall makes 2m, this is a realistic possibility.