New poll up.

Thor 2 has already passed Thor's opening day and opening Friday admissions. It is looking at a 1.7-1.8m opening weekend. Fantastic. Can't wait to see this tomorrow. 4.5m is happening although Ender's Game will try and cut into Thor 2's gross next week.Rigor Mortis is doing extremely well. It could find its way to just over 2m when the dust settles. Captain Phillips is doing pretty good as well. It could finish with about 1.5-1.6m.

Welcome back Bluebomb! :D I missed you.

Thanks for the update.

• Like 1

New poll up.

Thor 2 has already passed Thor's opening day and opening Friday admissions. It is looking at a 1.7-1.8m opening weekend. Fantastic. Can't wait to see this tomorrow. 4.5m is happening although Ender's Game will try and cut into Thor 2's gross next week.Rigor Mortis is doing extremely well. It could find its way to just over 2m when the dust settles. Captain Phillips is doing pretty good as well. It could finish with about 1.5-1.6m.

You're back :D

• Like 1

Just watched Thor 2. It's better than the first and I'm not ashamed to say it's the best movie of the year. It deserves to make 5m at least.Box office: Thor 2 is still looking very good. It'll increase 7% on Friday which is heavily down from Thor's Friday increase but this is winter and weekends will make up a lot of ground for the weaker Friday increase. 

Will CF be big in HK?

As for The Hunger Games enthusiasts, Catching Fire should do very well in Hong Kong. The Hunger Games opened softly (2nd lowest opening weekend of all Asian territories) but held superbly (2nd best legs of all Asian markets). I expect Catching Fire to make about 1.6m OW and a total between 4.5-5.5m.

• Like 8

Thursday's box office (October 31 -- Happy Halloween)

1. Thor 2 - $386,993 (including Wednesday midnights, opening day actual)
2. Rigor Mortis - $928,783 (-2% from last Thursday)
3. Captain Phillips - $1,006,181
4. Prisoners - $29,669 (opening day actual)

Thor vs. Thor 2 Opening Weekend Comparison

Daily admissions (OW)        
  Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday Total
Thor 20,466 22,338 37,071 39,375 119,250
Thor 2 30,100 (est.) 32,000 (est.) 55,989   118,089
Gap +9,634 +19,296 +38,214 -1,161  

Thor 2 almost matches Thor's opening weekend admissions in 3 days. Very impressive.

Rigor Mortis is making quite a name for itself too. It slimmed down just 2% from last week, partially due to Halloween but mostly due to good word of mouth. It's having a great run so far.

• Like 6

The Avengers Effects can't give Thor 2 too much growth.  :wacko:

Yeah, Thor 2 was never going to get a lot of benefit from The Avengers. The first Thor film had mediocre reviews and Thor is not as popular of a character as Iron Man. Also, Robert Downey Jr. is insanely popular and recognizable unlike Chris Hemsworth.

It's kind of a shame that Thor 2 is not doing bigger numbers here. It's the best Marvel-produced superhero movie to come out in the past 5 years in my opinion.

• Like 1

Daily admissions (OW)        
  Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday Total
Thor 20,466 22,338 37,071 39,375 119,250
Thor 2 30,100 32,000 55,989 55,100 173,189
Gap +9,634 +19,296 +38,214 +53,939  

Thor 2's Sunday is down just -1.6% from Saturday. That's pretty good considering that only 1 Marvel-produced film has managed a better Sunday hold in the past few years. This is a good indicator of strong word of mouth.

Looking at the user reviews since opening day, most seem to agree that this is better than the first.

Thor 2 opening weekend estimate: $1,720,000

Very good number. 5m is possible.

• Like 6

October 31 Weekend Actuals1. Thor 2 - $2,063,913 (opening weekend actual, $52,980 PTA)2. Rigor Mortis - $1,289,9463. Captain Phillips - $1,225,4484. Prisoners - $193,491 (opening weekend actual, $9,213 PTA)5. Like Father, Like Son - $167,692 (opening weekend actual, $12,899 PTA)Outstanding for Thor 2. It nearly doubled Thor's opening weekend. I think 5m is a lock with this number. Rigor Mortis equally shined at #2. Let's see if it has enough momentum to get to 2m. Captain Phillips held up nicely. Prisoners did alright. Like Father, Like Son had a very good opening weekend.

• Like 5

November 9 Update - Saturday:#1 was Thor 2, which fell a solid 45% in admissions. In gross, because of the switch from 3D to 2D this week, its hold will be slightly larger, around 50%. Overall though, it is a pretty good hold with Ender's Game out this week competing for screens. 5m is a lock.#2: Escape Plan was a nice surprise this week. Although Sylvester Stallone has not had huge takings here in HK, this will be one of his better openers. It opened around $60,000 on Thursday so weekend take should be around $300,000. Reviews are very strong.#3: Rigor Mortis continues to shine. Another incredibly strong hold this weekend. 2m will happen soon.#4: Ender's Game stunk. It averaged only 29 people per showing on Thursday. #3 this weekend will be fairly close. User reviews are on the positive side.
  • Like 1

November 9 Update - Saturday:#2: Escape Plan was a nice surprise this week. Although Sylvester Stallone has not had huge takings here in HK, this will be one of his better openers. It opened around $60,000 on Thursday so weekend take should be around $300,000. Reviews are very strong. 

Escape Plan is an Arnie's movie too...

Edited by efialtes76

Hope more mainlanders can go to watch movies in Hong Kong by taking Guangzhou-Shenzhen-Hong Kong High-Speed Railway in the future.

:wave:  :wave:

Me and two friends went to HK to watch Escape Plan, but the release date was changed, so we watched Gravity instead. So we watched Escape Plan 3 times in Shenzhen and once in Guangzhou. I would have liked seeing it in HK also, but looking at the gross of China so far, I'm glad that I'm part of it rather than the small gross of HK.

• Like 1