Ezen Baklattan

Spaghetti Kitchen: Y7 (BLANK & NUMBERS, CHECK P.6)

Upon more thought, I bumped Risk Management to an A.

The Rise & Fall Of Julius Caesar

Et Tu, Numbers?

A $160m, 3-hour, R-rated epic of history may not be the most sound decision to make in today's film market, unless the movie happens to be fantastic. Fourtunately, it worked for Alesia, Number's first installment of his epic trilogy in Rome, and he promised that Chapter 2 would be even better. Does the film live up to its promise? The answer to that is a nearly unqualified yes. Epic doesn't begin to describe this film. The film is absolutely superlative in every single regard, but let's have a closer look.

Much like in Lincoln, the film makes politics exciting. The film provides much juicy political drama, well written by Peter Weir, that proves to be just as exciting and exhilarating as its many battle sequences. This is only helped by the all around fantastic ensemble of the film, and Clive Owen tops his performance in Alesia. Also, if Matthew Goode doesn't get nominated for Best Supporting Actor, I will become a fireball of rage. Seriously, his character was simply amazing in this, and Goode completely nails him.

The "mise en scene" in this movie is simply perfect. The art direction, costumes, and makeup look even better than they did in the first film, as does pretty much everything else. The designs in Alesia were already fantastic, but with that little extra bit in the budget, the filmmakers could go the distance even further. It wouldn't surprise me to see this break the record for the most nominations for Oscars in CAYOM, ironically beating Alesia's 16 nods.

I have nothing else to add. This movie is amazing.

A

• Like 2

Et Tu, Numbers?

I shall just like to point out that Numbers in its traditional form is nominative, and since Et Tu requires a vocative form for Numbers the phrase is technically grammatically incorrect. :ph34r: (Sorry, I just couldn't resist :lol:)

Edited by riczhang
  • Like 1

I shall just like to point out that Numbers in its traditional form is nominative, and since Et Tu requires a vocative form for Numbers the phrase is technically grammatically incorrect. :ph34r: (Sorry, I just couldn't resist :lol:)

Et tu numeri indeed

Edited by 4815162342

A Woman In The Crowd

The Not-Quite-As-High Life

I loved High Life. It was my favorite movie of Y6, and that ranking still stands. Naturally, I was excited that Spike Jonze would be making another movie the following year, also involving the story of a protagonist with a fantastical trait (tragic, in the case of this film) who finds love. It definitely feels like Jonze is trying to recapture the magic of his Y6 hit here, but does he succeed with his next film? Mostly. It's certainly a strong film in its own right, but it's not quite as good as The Creator's Jonze effort.

Blank said somewhere that Gwenyth Palthrow (The Rich & Famous) and Meryl Streep (The Three Month Funeral) were the main contenders for Best Actress this year, but I think that Anna Kendrick has a definite shot. She does a great job of depicting the trauma, the bleakness, and yet the slight hope of Lyra Marshall, and she has nearly as much magnetism as Ryan Gosling did. However, I love Eddie Redmayne, but his character in this wasn't quite as interesting as he should have been. Fortunately, the two do have good chemistry, so they are able to carry it through the movie. Their conclusion is bittersweet, yet I felt like Jonze displayed a good ending here.

The ensemble of the film weighs it down a bit, however. I know I'm comparing this to High Life too much, but one of the good things about the movie was how it kept the focus on two characters and really made us feel for them. I feel like the ensemble, while decent in its own right, is a bit distracting at times to the main characters, but honestly, this isn't even a very big quibble. In fact, most of my criticisms of this movie are just that: quibbles.

In the end, A Woman In The Crowd isn't a grand slam, but it works because of a great performance from Anna Kendrick, a strong script, and some crafty direction.

B+A-

That's right, I'm torn again. :|

Edited by Spaghetti
  • Like 1

YES. I was split between using Jonze, and should've probably chosen someone else to avoid the issue of comparisons to High Life. Unfortunately, Ang Lee was taken and I think the story is much closer to Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind than High Life, so my other choice, Michel Gondry was out. Very pleased you enjoyed it, and a part of the reason for the large cast was a major subplot featuring Paniettere's character that I cut since it would make the film much too long and take focus off of Lyra and Milo's relationship. Very happy that you enjoyed it though! :D

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe

I Hate To Plagirize, But... 

Let me put it like this. The 2005 Narnia film was enjoyable, well-produced, but nothing stood out. This re-adaptation, while changing up the cast, pretty much covers the same ground, with maybe a little extra time devoted to the England stuff. So really, there isn't much to say or add beyond that it's equal to the 2005 outing. B

This was Numbers's review of the film, and it pretty much covers my feelings as well. I liked James D'Arch as Tumnus, though.

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe

I Hate To Plagirize, But... 

This was Numbers's review of the film, and it pretty much covers my feelings as well. I liked James D'Arch as Tumnus, though.

Cheating.

Edited by Iron Alpha

And now, for my final request!

The Martian Chronicles

When Alpha Tried To Assault Me

I'll certainly give credit to the film for ambition. A $270m epic adaptation of Ray Bradbury's beloved novel about a series of stories about humans coming to Mars from a desolate Earth. That, and it has a huge cast as well. However, after the success of last year's 451, it might make sense as to why studios would go after the works of Ray Bradbury, so does the film do this book justice? Well, we'll get to that in a moment.

The visuals in this movie are quite fantastic, and Mars is given a unique feel and style. I could end up on my ballot for Production Design and Visual Effects. However, at the same time, it feels like much of the budget went into soley getting everyone for this project. I know the studio likes to cast a lot of big names in roles, (see Amulet and The Red Pyramid) but it's not as necessary as they think. What's most important is having capable stories with interesting premises ans characters, and does that film have it?

I haven't read the novel of basis, but the story has its fair share of problems. Giving each story in the book a part of the film caused it to try and stretch far too much into just 140 minutes, and each moment feels so crammed and rushed, and it was a bit of a drag to get through at times. Even in this drag, they weren't able to truly develop these charachters. Cloud Atlas worked because not only did it interweave the stories rather than just tell them one after the other, but they gave it enough to create well developed charachters.

Having said that, they do some really cool things with the visual effects, so there's definitely a positive aspect of it, and John Williams delivered the goods with this score. It's just a shame that the story and charachters were so compressed and given little development, a must for any good movie. I didn't hate it as much as Numbers, but I can definitely see where he's coming from.

C+

BREAKING NEWS

After a viewing of the 167-minute "Thomas The Tank Engine," a film critic who hosts SpaghettiKitchen.com, one of the most revered web critics in the nation, had an epileptic spasm out of the sheer awfulness of the film. Once the end credits began, he was rolling down the theater hallways uncontrollably, shouting "KILL ME! KILL ME!" His friends took him to a local hospital, where he is currently receiving treatment from the sheer awfulness of this film. Doctors are currently treating him by showing him a DVD copy of Number's hit Y4 film, "The Good Die Young." He is expected to make a full recovery soon.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1