riczhang

Riczhang Reviews Year 7 (Caesar Reigns Supreme)

Awesome Chuck Norris and Liam Neeson review, although it does make me worried for next year, since the next one is simply a one-off film... :P

And I just remembered a film I really wanted to know your opinion on... ugh :P

• Like 1

Awesome Chuck Norris and Liam Neeson review, although it does make me worried for next year, since the next one is simply a one-off film... :PAnd I just remembered a film I really wanted to know your opinion on... ugh :P

Which one? I'll give you a score.

I can neither confirm nor deny that. :ph34r: And, yeah any hints that I may have given are unintentional. Rich and Famous is my favourite movie and that's about the extent I've given any hints........ 

Speaking of hints, atm there's 11 films with 9 or more. 

• Like 2

Extrasensory

Extrasensory is puzzling, strange, and just plain not good. In the beginning all was well; it was a bit plain, kinda predictable, and uneventful, but still decent. However, it wasn't long before everything took a dramatic turn for the worse. In the scenes with Dr.Patterson, Kyle begins to get increasingly annoying and at points one wants to punch him in the face. Other people may say that it's just Kyle's character, and opening up to a stranger is hard for him, hence all of this bravado, resistance, and etc.  One must realise that while their point is true and that Kyle is to obstinate like Oskar Schell is to Schizotypal Personality Disorder, it is also true that just like Oskar Schell, however true to the character he is, he's just plain annoying, weird, and unnatural in a way. (Though I suppose Kyle is unnatural) 

And now we arrive at the last part, a twist of sorts, of the movie. One can't make heads of tails out of it as it's a jumbled mess that makes no sense. Obviously Kyle isn't the most stable person in the world but there really was no indication that he'd go all bat shit crazy on the town and do all of that. It just make no sense and is quite jarring and odd and not fitting. It felt like a scene from 30 minutes down the road in the movie and like one dozed off and missed a lot of the development. As it stands it feels melodramatic. It's as if Kodi Smith-McPhee turned up the thespic volume to the max, creating a Kyle that verges on and at times becomes a mere caricature of himself. 

3.5/10

A bit disappointing, but The Rich & Famous is more likely to be my major OC now.Still, I'll take "bizarre mess" bad instead of "poorly made" bad any day.

You never know, Andrew really liked the film. It just never worked for me at all.

I have a feeling that Extrasensory is going to keep up with love it or hate it reviews. It might be my most divisive film to date.

Hopefully The Rich & Famous does well with everyone else. Your review was certainly awesome. :D

• Like 1

Life after Death

"Iesus saith vnto him, I am the Way, the trueth, and the Life: no man commeth vnto the father, but by mee." - John 14:6 (1611 KJV)

Borrowing heavily on the legend of the Illuminati, Life after Death proves to be a decent piece of mindless entertainment. Its premise is certainly highly interesting and the film while it doesn't dazzle, doesn't disappoint either. It's fun, and engaging, and though there are moments where one goes, "Huh? WTF?" it still proves to be a good theatre experience. The visuals are spectacular given how little funds they had to work with and the murder of the Pope was quite memorable and haunting. However, as the film draws to a close there are moments where it feels quite preachy and in a secular society with a film that doesn't sell itself to be so blatantly religious it feels out of place. The ending probably could've been made better if the reality of heaven wasn't made clear one way or another. It probably would've been better for James to just "die" and cut to him coming back. Then, he could've told the cardinals that the serum didn't work and the movie could've followed what's already there. That way there's evidence suggesting either possibility and would've been an ending more open to interpretation, deeper, and more meaningful. 

5.5/10

Was it my favourite?

No. And neither was Wanders. There is a movie that I liked a lot more than either of those two.

For Alpha's requests, I don't believe One Hit Wonder is on there anymore so obviously there's no review. 

And for Spark 2, I direct all of you to my festival review:

Spark 2: Ignition:

It’s hard to sum up Spark 2, but in the end one has to choose the word Surprising. Is it as good as Spark? No. Did one expect it to be? Probably not, but I know that somewhere in my unconsciousness there was a little part of me that had hoped Spark 2 would be just as good if not better.

Spark 2 is more straightforward and to the point. Its storyline, especially for the first part, is so obviously black and white, good vs. evil that one can’t help but to be a little bit disappointed by the direction of the story. It seemed as if Alex and co. would face off against Kozar and that would be that; however, once the story delineated itself more clearly it took on a new energy and tone which really gave the movie some of the magic that made its predecessor so good.

What Spark 2 has done is cater towards the younger demographic which, although could and will make the film a much bigger success than Spark, takes away from some of the aspects that made gave the original such good legs, namely higher-level thinking. Even though Spark 2 is still very fun, well done, and showed some more mature aspects, especially in the middle, at the end of the day it reverted to a strict good vs. evil, line drawn in the sand, type of ending. There was little in terms of grey; the movie delegated everyone as either good or bad. This, while suitable for families, leaves the adult demographic yearning for a little bit more and feeling as if the movie’s a little bit hollow.

But, even though Spark 2 has its problems it still is a magnificent movie. It animation is impeccably done as always, the voice acting, especially Benedict Cumberbatch, is superb, and the movie still has plenty of the old spark charm to it. So, when all is said and done, Spark 2: Ignition is still a movie that deserves to do well and should be experienced on screen. 

8/10

• Like 1

One Hit Wonder

One Hit Wonder reads, looks, and plays more like a documentary than a drama, and gets to be quite dry at times. It was as if one was watching a documentary on some legal battle with some added musical elements thrown in. However, one cannot deny that although the movie is flat and at times draggy, it's still well done and proves to be decently entertaining. It is a picture about the underdogs managing to scrape past the finish line and achieve a victory against the odds. Who doesn't like one of those pictures? At the very least they make one's heart warm and fuzzy from the knowledge that there's still someplace in the world where the good sometimes triumphs and doesn't perish young and unfulfilled. However, the use of two separate bands and then having them contribute to each other's singles is plain odd, and it's strange. The story still would've worked had there only been one band and the A R Kane seems superfluous because the story doesn't really focus on them at all. The ending was probably the best part of the movie as it doesn't show the obligatory Hollywood happy ending, instead preferring the quiet, dignified, and probably true-to-life ending. 

6/10

Was it my favourite?

No