A Marvel Fanboy

Passengers | Chris Pratt, Jennifer Lawrence | Dec 21, 2016 | Trailer pg 70

3 hours ago, The Futurist said:

So the first reaction is mixed, script is blamed a lot and it comes from a very big Jlaw stan ...

:sadben:

The reaction of a single person to a test screening is not really worth taking stock in. Is the film even finished? Non-Disclosures are signed for good reason. And that site tends to be pretty worthless when it comes to evaluating films to be honest. But if it means anything the crowd seemed to really like it, according to same. But as a rule I never take test screening chatter seriously, especially from just a single person. Not that there should be any. Still, I would wait for more than one solitary opinion before making any assumptions.  

Edited by straggler
  • Like 1

I read her review and it really didn't bother me. Sounds like the crowd did enjoy it a lot, and one person's opinion means little at this point (plus as a JLaw superfan she looks at things from a very certain perspective. She appearantly doesn't like Pratt - I would think that has some impact on her review as well, although she did pay him some begrudging compliments).

I mean, I heard people say such vastly different things about movies before they came out... you can only really judge for yourself or wait until there's a wide enough consensus (and even that consensus might not represent your own opinion).

It is however very encouraging to learn that over 1000 people came out to a test screening, and the general reaction she noted was that they were into it and enjoyed it. That's my main takeaway here.

Edited by JennaJ
  • Like 6

Looks good, but I'm staying more conservative. I feel more are predicting lofty numbers because of their love of Jlaw and Pratt, than for logic. Either way it continues the streak of space movies, and I love space, so I'm in.

Edited by jandrew

4 minutes ago, jandrew said:

Looks good, but I'm staying a little more bullish. I feel more are predicting lofty numbers because of their love of Jlaw and Pratt, than for logic. Either way it continues the streak of space movies, and I love space, so I'm in.

Wouldn't that mean you're staying a little less bullish, or have I been using it wrong?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, straggler said:

Apparently the VFX isn't in the movie yet. They were screening a rough cut. That the audience was really into it is the key take away. 

Surprised they show that without complete vfx. It would take me out of the movie even if it's good.  Good to hear audience likes it and wow 1000 people came to see it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, The Futurist said:

So the first reaction is mixed, script is blamed a lot and it comes from a very big Jlaw stan ...

:sadben:

Hmm.  I'd really like the link to this.  I know some of Jen's fans had a problem with her being 'second through the door' both literally and figuratively, but I think that isn't going to bother the GA.  If it is just stuff like that, I don't think it will impact box office.  People who like Jen enough that they care about that sort of thing are certainly going to show up to see the movie.  I'd like to read the review though. 

I suspect I'll run into it eventually.

Edited by trifle

My view is that you do not post a "review" of an unfinished, rough cut film they are not even done editing yet whether you think it is good, bad or indifferent. A thousand people were there and they managed to respect the process. But that said the crowd seemed to really like it. That's the ball game.  

• Like 1

OK, found it.  I agree that my main take away is that the crowd was really into it, that they were laughing and gasping etc in all the right places.  This person didn't like the script, and as Jenna said, seems not to like Pratt.  There will be those who don't like the script and don't like one or the other actors.  But I strongly suspect I'd be with the other thousand people there who seemed to like it.  And what it says, that 1000 showed up!

Also the person who 'didn't like it' really wants to see it again when all the effects are finalized...... so......

On the issue of people not liking one star or the other, I actually think Jen and Pratt compensate for eachother's gaps nicely.  Besides those who just have tall poppy syndrome against Jen, or the mostly silent people who just don't favor her (those people tend not to create internet agendas) her 'dislikers' seem to fall into two categories.  1) a subset of Trump supporters or a subset of conservatives who hate what she has said against Trump or supporting issues viewed as liberal, and 2) a subset of Marvel fans who hate that her Mystique was written differently than it was in the comics, which was exacerbated when her boils and rashes from the make up made her not love being blue.  On the other hand, Chris Pratt is known and beloved amongst conservatives as one of the 'few' conservatives in Hollywood, and Marvel fans love his Star Lord. 

In reverse, those who dislike Pratt seem to often dislike him for either his political / religious views or their opinion that he is not a 'serious actor'.  These people tend to like Jen.

So there may be people carping on one or the other as they go to see the movie, but I think a ton of them will still be going to see the movie.

Edited by trifle
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, trifle said:

OK, found it.  I agree that my main take away is that the crowd was really into it, that they were laughing and gasping etc in all the right places.  This person didn't like the script, and as Jenna said, seems not to like Pratt.  There will be those who don't like the script and don't like one or the other actors.  But I strongly suspect I'd be with the other thousand people there who seemed to like it.  And what it says, that 1000 showed up!

Wonder if that's the thousand allowed in based on first come first serve.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, A District 3 Engineer said:

LOL!

The trailer is going to be attached to these new movies (DWH refers to Deepwater Horizons):

Edited by trifle

19 minutes ago, trifle said:

On the issue of people not liking one star or the other, I actually think Jen and Pratt compensate for eachother's gaps nicely.  Besides those who just have tall poppy syndrome against Jen, or the mostly silent people who just don't favor her (those people tend not to create internet agendas) her 'dislikers' seem to fall into two categories.  1) a subset of Trump supporters or a subset of conservatives who hate what she has said against Trump or supporting issues viewed as liberal, and 2) a subset of Marvel fans who hate that her Mystique was written differently than it was in the comics, which was exacerbated when her boils and rashes from the make up made her not love being blue.  On the other hand, Chris Pratt is known and beloved amongst conservatives as one of the 'few' conservatives in Hollywood, and Marvel fans love his Star Lord. 

In reverse, those who dislike Pratt seem to often dislike him for either his political / religious views or the opinion that he is not a 'serious actor'.  These people tend to like Jen.

I may have missed something, but I'm a huge Pratt fan so I doubt it - He has never talked about politics or identified as conservative. People just assume he is because he has an affinity for guns and is fairly patriotic.

He is religious however. I don't know why anyone would hate him for it but some do. I'm an Atheist and I could care less what people choose to believe in.

I really hope that this movie is a success and that fans of both actors enjoy that success together. I like JLaw a lot and I would hate it if this movie became a "who's a bigger draw" or "who's better" contest. That's why I really like this thread and don't much care for that other place.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JennaJ said:

I may have missed something, but I'm a huge Pratt fan so I doubt it - He has never talked about politics or identified as conservative. People just assume he is because he has an affinity for guns and is fairly patriotic.

He is religious however. I don't know why anyone would hate him for it but some do. I'm an Atheist and I could care less what people choose to believe in.

I really hope that this movie is a success and that fans of both actors enjoy that success together. I like JLaw a lot and I would hate it if this movie became a "who's a bigger draw" or "who's better" contest. That's why I really like this thread and don't much care for that other place.

Me too.  I like Pratt a lot, too.  And I don't personally know if he is or isn't conservative, but you are right, he is seen that way by conservatives.  What I have seen are some comments saying things like they would boycott Jen because of her views but their boy Pratt is going to be in it.  I don't pretend to know what was going on in their minds, this is just what I inferred.  I was trying to point out that it is really good their draws are somewhat in different areas, so they together bring in more, even apart from those who are excited to see this because of the combination of them.

And I don't know that Jen ISN'T religious (although she clearly isn't very strictly doctrinal) , but some people who identify as Christian think she isn't because she said something against Kim Davis and her supporters.  Perception is not necessarily reality on the internet.

• Like 1