A Marvel Fanboy

Passengers | Chris Pratt, Jennifer Lawrence | Dec 21, 2016 | Trailer pg 70

1 hour ago, trifle said:

SPOILER ALERT

here is a video interview with Jon Spaihts, the screenwriter discussing how the script changed during production and the changes to the ending.

Reveal hidden contents

The formatting doesn't seem to work with the spoiler tag :(

• Like 1

1 I liked it pretty much

2 I'm even seeing it again

3 I'm even seeing it again with my girlfriend (who missed it the first time because of JLaw)

4 I spoiled her the whole plot - and she said she can't understand what the Western feminists are fuming about - and that any REAL woman would have done what Aurora did in the end - and that she would love if I wake her up like that some day...

5 The sweet little thing :)

Edited by shayhiri
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, shayhiri said:

4 I spoiled her the whole plot - and she said she can't understand what the Western feminists are fuming about - and that any REAL woman would have done what Aurora did in the end - and that she would love if I wake her up like that some day...

That's not a good example though since you two are already a romantic couple. If the two of you were total strangers I doubt she would feel the same way.

• Like 3

I think a lot of people would be upset initially. But I also think if you truly fell in love and things transpired as they did on the ship I think that anger will dissipate overtime and you could eventually become what they became. That's just my opinion.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, amelin said:

I don't :ph34r: 

I say knock yourself out. It's fiction anyway.

The thing is: While I do know that what he did was deplorable, I can't judge him (like most of critics did), because I'm pretty sure that I -and most of persons- would do the same thing, actually, if I was in his situation, I can only think in two viable options: suicide and do what he did, so, I would be hypocrite if I attack him, BUT, I also can't say that I agree with his option, there's a difference between understand a situation, and agree with it, and that's what most of critics failed to see, IMO. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

The thing is: While I do know that what he did was deplorable, I can't judge him (like most of critics did), because I'm pretty sure that I -and most of persons- would do the same thing, actually, if I was in his situation, I can only think in two viable options: suicide and do what he did, so, I would be hypocrite if I attack him, BUT, I also can't say that I agree with his option, there's a difference between understand a situation, and agree with it, and that's what most of critics failed to see, IMO. 

I think the issue is the whole point, and 'what would you do' is the question, not 'is this a grand thing'.  I think

Spoiler

she had a hard time forming deep relationships after

her father died, and formed one with Jim and felt betrayed, furious and heartbroken.  In the end, the question was was she willing to give up the first deep relationship she had formed in some time, after the guy made it clear he would take it back if he could, and risked his life for her and the others on the ship.

It tied up to quickly imho, but it didn't keep me from enjoying it, it just meant the end wasn't as good as the initial 3/4.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, shayhiri said:

6 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

If the two of you were total strangers I doubt she would feel the same way.

For the second part of his bolded sentence, yes, you're right. For the first part, not so much. They weren't strangers. She had known him for a year, she did fall in love with him.

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 1

Passengers TGWTDT %

5 day 22,19 21,15 104,97

Fri 2,66 3,53 75,36
Sat 3,81 4,95 77,03
Sun 2,34 2,88 81,22
Mon 0,75 0,94 79,61
Tue 1,23 1,25 98,10

Gross to date 82,89 79,10 104,79
Legs (5 day) 3,73 3,74 99,84
Final gross* 105,86 102,5158 103,26
*if Passengers holds the last day's %  

Tuesday bumps are huuuuuge. 17.1M to go.

• Like 5

Saw this last night with a friend.  She liked it more than me, but we were both kind of meh on it.  The romance angle was kind of icky, but didn't bother me as much as I thought it might.  Mostly, it was just dull, and I didn't really care what happened to either of them.  *shrugs*  Pratt was nice to look at though. 

23 hours ago, misafeco said:
  Passengers TGWTDT %

5 day 22,19 21,15 104,97

Fri 2,66 3,53 75,36
Sat 3,81 4,95 77,03
Sun 2,34 2,88 81,22
Mon 0,75 0,94 79,61
Tue 1,23 1,25 98,10

Gross to date 82,89 79,10 104,79
Legs (5 day) 3,73 3,74 99,84
Final gross* 105,86 102,5158 103,26

Tuesday bumps are huuuuuge. 17.1M to go.

Thanks.  Since discount Tuesdays have become more important (apparently) than when TGWTDT came out, the drop Wednesday might be worse, as well, but let us know!

Also, I have to say that this film sure creates a lot of debate, still ongoing, even from people who didn't like it. For example, Sasha Stone on twitter was saying it should have played as a horror movie where

Spoiler

Jim woke up woman after woman like sampling ice cream flavors, then got rid of them to wake up another.  That doesn't actually sound less sexist to me than what did happen, but I guess she figures it would put him clearly on the 'villian' side.

And this review loved it right up to the end then

Spoiler

thought they should have been found still alive but withered away when the crew woke up, and in separate cabins, suggesting that they ended up in solitude in space, after all.  http://faroutmagazine.co.uk/film-review-jennifer-lawrence-and-chris-pratt-in-passengers/

Personally, I'd have just given a little more screentime to Aurora's internal process that lead to the decision she made, so it wasn't kinda abrupt at the end, but I guess everyone has their own opinion... and continue to discuss them, which, to me, is one of the things this film set out to cause.

Edited by trifle
  • Like 2

Passengers TGWTDT %

5 day 22,19 21,15 104,97

Fri 2,66 3,53 75,36
Sat 3,81 4,95 77,03
Sun 2,34 2,88 81,22
Mon 0,75 0,94 79,61
Tue 1,23 1,25 98,10
Wed 0,78 1,08 72,35

Gross to date 83,67 80,18 104,36
Legs (5 day) 3,77 3,79 99,42
Final gross* 99,83 102,5158 97,38

Big Wed drop as expected. Projected final gross is under 100M for the first time. I still think it will gross 100M. It'll be over 90M after next weekend, and almost 95M the weekend after that. There is no way Sony will let this finish short of 100M if it comes that close.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, misafeco said:
  Passengers TGWTDT %

5 day 22,19 21,15 104,97

Fri 2,66 3,53 75,36
Sat 3,81 4,95 77,03
Sun 2,34 2,88 81,22
Mon 0,75 0,94 79,61
Tue 1,23 1,25 98,10
Wed 0,78 1,08 72,35

Gross to date 83,67 80,18 104,36
Legs (5 day) 3,77 3,79 99,42
Final gross* 99,83 102,5158 97,38

Big Wed drop as expected. Projected final gross is under 100M for the first time. I still think it will gross 100M. It'll be over 90M after next weekend, and almost 95M the weekend after that. There is no way Sony will let this finish short of 100M if it comes that close.

Theater count is now a factor. It is below TGWTDT's count for the first time but that film lost a lot of screens a week later. Passengers is holding decently so I don't think it will lose too many screens next week. If it is close SONY will keep it in theaters until it crosses the line.  

• Like 1

On 11/01/2017 at 5:35 AM, shayhiri said:

1 I liked it pretty much

2 I'm even seeing it again

3 I'm even seeing it again with my girlfriend (who missed it the first time because of JLaw)

5 The sweet little thing :)

Oh my god, :lol:

Scary.

It's funny you mentioned "feminists" in relation to this film.

On one hand people are annoyed about the whole "he wakes her up just because she's hot and sends her to her death" thing.

On the other hand you have people who hate Jennifer Lawrence and the fact that she spoke out about pay in relation to gender, and also go $8m more than Pratt for this movie.

So do the anti-feminists HATE Jennifer Lawrence but LOVE the actions of Pratt's character? (that Sony hid from audiences in the marketing)

3 hours ago, straggler said:

Theater count is now a factor. It is below TGWTDT's count for the first time but that film lost a lot of screens a week later. Passengers is holding decently so I don't think it will lose too many screens next week. If it is close SONY will keep it in theaters until it crosses the line.  

It will loose 950 theaters(-28%) and still be in 2500 theaters. Well enough to have a decent gross this weekend. 

Sony will push this to 100 mill