A Marvel Fanboy

Passengers | Chris Pratt, Jennifer Lawrence | Dec 21, 2016 | Trailer pg 70

3 hours ago, Hatebox said:

The order of scenes matters very much, because they determine whose point of view the movie takes. Change them around a bit and make us see things from Lawrence's from very beginning, and the tone/genre changes dramatically.

You then still have the dilemma of how to end the movie, but the video admits that.

Don't get me wrong, it certainly would have been more mysterious, and I'm intrigued by the concept, but he's making the assumption that the only problem people had with the movie was just the movie itself. In some cases that's a fact, people just didn't like it, but for a lot of the critics that labelled it as all sorts of evil, and that was a lot of critics, I think this version only makes that worse.  If you make Jim truly creepy you would find Aurora's forgiveness even more unacceptable than it already is in their minds.  Then the only fix would be him dying, or maybe choosing to go back into hibernation leaving him to die alone.  

Without showing how you end this version his entire premise is only half baked.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ddddeeee said:

This was dire.

I love J-Law and I love Thomas Newman so I was psyched to see it. It was awful. No agenda, no sharpened knives, just a crappy movie.

I also feel the fact that the movie's apologists keep clinging to 'agenda' arguments is telling - they need to movie the argument away from the movie itself because the movie is, you know, crap.

Just to make it clear, I agree that it was not a great movie, the third act was really bad.  I still can't understand where they came up with that.

4 hours ago, ChrisTelclear said:

This comment from the producer, Neil Moritz, shows that in testing these issues never came up.  Which means this was mostly a concoction of the critics and press, not the general public.  That's why the movie was able to recover and make some money, because while there were people who saw that didn't like it, none I know thought the accusations of rape, etc. were justified.

Maybe he needed fewer yes men or more people that can actually process what they read?  The problems in the script were glaringly evident.  They were discussed in this topic before the film came out when several of us had read the script.   There's a reason the the incarnation the Weinstein's were going to produce was positioned as a thriller where we saw a longer descent into madness before he wakes her up.  Hiring JLaw for $20m+ meant they had to wake her up earlier which changed the dynamic and tone.  Other morally questionable things were changed in the script, like the generations born on ship to them (and frozen sperm) and their accidentally jettisoning all the other 5,000 passengers into space to their death.  There are reasons this script kicked around for 10 years with multiple failed attempts to get it made.

For those that think critics don't have agendas, I leave you with this article posted today on Vox about what they call Socially Conscious Criticism, which sounds an awful lot like a political agenda, but that's just me.  Passengers is featured, and what it says is that the most important complaint was the morality of the storyline, not the movie itself.  They also talk about GITS.

But when Passengersfinally came out, nearly all critics — including Vox’s Alissa Wilkinson, who called it “a fantasy of Stockholm syndrome” — saw these ethical questions as one of the most important things about the movie.

http://www.vox.com/culture/2017/4/20/15179232/socially-conscious-criticism

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ChrisTelclear said:

For those that think critics don't have agendas, I leave you with this article posted today on Vox about what they call Socially Conscious Criticism, which sounds an awful lot like a political agenda, but that's just me.  Passengers is featured, and what it says is that the most important complaint was the morality of the storyline, not the movie itself.  They also talk about GITS.

http://www.vox.com/culture/2017/4/20/15179232/socially-conscious-criticism

Very true...it's a movie..why characters must be morally correct or like people on tumblr would say *non-problematic*

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

If the characters were racist or homophobic, would it be ok as well?

No.

Well surely, characters can have any negative trait, the movie being racist or homophobic would be different.

Many racist people in Inglorious Bastard, Schindler List, American History-X, that does not make a movie not ok.

I don't think any (good) critic have issue with Pratt character, but in how the movie decide to present and how it judge what it does, for example how third party character react to it, how is character is presented as an hero in the movie and never loose is good guy status, etc..

• Like 3

Can't remember if I commented on this yet, but I enjoyed this movie. Didn't deserve 31% on RT, especially when you consider the shit show that was Jack Reacher Never Go Back ended up with better reviews and that was a disaster. That being said I have to say I would have enjoyed this more with someone other than Lawrence. Once again she just didn't suit her role, and I felt she brought the movie down once her character appears. That being said still enjoyed it. Nothing special, but certainly enjoyable and not bad like reviews and people online would lead you to believe. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HesAPooka said:

Can't remember if I commented on this yet, but I enjoyed this movie. Didn't deserve 31% on RT, especially when you consider the shit show that was Jack Reacher Never Go Back ended up with better reviews and that was a disaster. That being said I have to say I would have enjoyed this more with someone other than Lawrence. Once again she just didn't suit her role, and I felt she brought the movie down once her character appears. That being said still enjoyed it. Nothing special, but certainly enjoyable and not bad like reviews and people online would lead you to believe. 

Well that's an unusual opinion, although you are certainly entitled to it.  Even critics who didn't like the film, such as the Guardian and the New York Times thought Jen was excellent in the role.  So did I. It is one of my favorite performances from her.

There is a blazing light at the center of the interplanetary romance “Passengers,” and its name is Jennifer Lawrence. ....

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/20/movies/passengers-review-jennifer-lawrence-chris-pratt.html

Edited by trifle

Just now, trifle said:

Well that's an unusual opinion.  Even critics who didn't like the film, such as the Guardian and the New York Times thought Jen was excellent in the role.  So did I. It is one of my favorite performances from her.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/20/movies/passengers-review-jennifer-lawrence-chris-pratt.html

I absolutely loved her in Winters Bones when it came out, and she's good in some other movies, but in a lot of her roles recently she just doesn't suit the role and sticks out in a negative way for me. On the other hand Pratt which I haven't cared for in the past in certain movies like Jurassic World was perfect for his role in this and I enjoyed him a lot.

8 minutes ago, HesAPooka said:

I absolutely loved her in Winters Bones when it came out, and she's good in some other movies, but in a lot of her roles recently she just doesn't suit the role and sticks out in a negative way for me. On the other hand Pratt which I haven't cared for in the past in certain movies like Jurassic World was perfect for his role in this and I enjoyed him a lot.

That's fine. Agree to disagree on the Jen part. I thought she was perfect for the role, and showed a different side.  I liked Pratt too.

Well, just add my late 2 cents here. If anything J-Law has got a boost of popularity in China, thanks to Passengers.  Her Hunger games movies did only average in China box office wise due to lack of knowledge about the book. (Chinese audiences are just not that into young adult genre). Katniss was considered too average in looks department to have any sex appeal. On internet till these days, a lot of Chinese fans who watched and liked Hunger games still dont get J Law's beauty in her Katniss role since they didnt get the chance to see her indie films. 

Passengers certainly changed the views and boosted her image. l can safely say that 90% of viewers loved her nature blue eyed blonde self and thought her make up style and outfit alone created a WoW factor for the movie. (talking about shallowness of ppl). This movie has draw new fans for both stars especially Jennifer, people even start to go back to check out her other works. Surely they wont be disappointed 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, August1001 said:

Well, just add my late 2 cents here. If anything J-Law has got a boost of popularity in China, thanks to Passengers.  Her Hunger games movies did only average in China box office wise due to lack of knowledge about the book. (Chinese audiences are just not that into young adult genre). Katniss was considered too average in looks department to have any sex appeal. On internet till these days, a lot of Chinese fans who watched and liked Hunger games still dont get J Law's beauty in her Katniss role since they didnt get the chance to see her indie films. 

Passengers certainly changed the views and boosted her image. l can safely say that 90% of viewers loved her nature blue eyed blonde self and thought her make up style and outfit alone created a WoW factor for the movie. (talking about shallowness of ppl). This movie has draw new fans for both stars especially Jennifer, people even start to go back to check out her other works. Surely they wont be disappointed 

Welcome to the forum!

• Like 1

Well, some of these I agree with

Spoiler

seriously, why was there only one autodoc when they were transporting 5000 people all of whom would at least have hibernation sickness when they woke up?

and some of these I know the answer to

Spoiler

there was supposed to be training and orientation in the last few months of the trip before planet fall

but in the interest of showing both sides, (particularly Tele's side) this now exists.  Major spoilers, of course.

Edited by trifle
  • Like 1