A Marvel Fanboy

Passengers | Chris Pratt, Jennifer Lawrence | Dec 21, 2016 | Trailer pg 70

I don't understand why anyone would pay 20 million dollars for some "A-lister" when there are so many talented actors/actresses who probably would do great role for million dollars or so. I mean I would any day cast someone like Marion Cotillard over Jennifer Lawrence.

Only "A-lister" today that is worth the money is Leonardo DiCaprio IMO.

Edited by KingoftheWorld

I don't understand why anyone would pay 20 million dollars for some "A-lister" when there are so many talented actors/actresses who probably would do great role for million dollars or so. I mean I would any day cast someone like Marion Cotillard over Jennifer Lawrence.

Only "A-lister" today that is worth the money is Leonardo DiCaprio IMO.

well it's about whether you can sell a movie or not. If people are silly enough to watch a movie just because Lawrence is in it, causing the movie to make 50 million+ than it would have otherwise, the going by basic economics it's a good investment. I know it sounds ridiculous but that's how it works.

Greenlighted: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/jennifer-lawrence-chris-pratt-s-802876

Sony Pictures’ new motion picture chairman Tom Rothman has greenlighted Passengers, a big-budget romantic sci-fi drama starring Jennifer Lawrence and Chris Pratt with Oscar-nominated Morten Tyldum (The Imitation Game) to direct. And thanks to a deal that tied his remuneration to the success of Jurassic World, which broke box office records with a $524.1 million global opening over the June 12 weekend, Pratt’s fee has jumped from $10 million to $12 million.

Lawrence, considered a top star and an Oscar winner, is getting an exceptional $20 million against 30 percent of the profit after the movie breaks even, say sources. Sony declined to comment.

Whatever the famously fiscally prudent Rothman’s misgivings might have been about paying such big bucks to talent or risking $150 million ($120 million with production incentives) on an original script that has floated around Hollywood for years, he now finds himself in possession of a two-hander star vehicle with the most in-demand male and female actors in the business.

Passengers is set to begin filming in July so Sony has been under pressure to act. 

• Like 1

I don't agree with that but I do think JW massive box office tipped the scales for Sony to go ahead.

Well good. I was under the impression that this was already green-lit, so it was a surprise to hear that that just happened.

This is probably the movie I'm most excited about right now, mostly thanks to liking both leads a lot and hearing over and over again how wonderful the script is.

I mean, seriously, how dumb would Sony have to be to let go of a movie starring these two right now?

Some sources say it's filming in the fall, while others say in July. 

How could it possibly film in July? Chris only just got done promoting JW and is supposed to be filming Magnificent Seven right now (which I also don't get, since they've been filming for weeks without him. Maybe he has a smaller role in that one).

Well good. I was under the impression that this was already green-lit, so it was a surprise to hear that that just happened.

This is probably the movie I'm most excited about right now, mostly thanks to liking both leads a lot and hearing over and over again how wonderful the script is.

I mean, seriously, how dumb would Sony have to be to let go of a movie starring these two right now?

I've read the script and liked it too. From reading the article at THR it seems that other studios were eager to take film themselves with Lawrence/Pratt and Tyldum. Maybe that also helped make the decision for Sony they didn't want to be the studio that passed on it if it is successful.

It's not a big deal, I'm just curious: aren't movies supposed to have a release date to be able to go in the main thread? Or does this movie have one and the title just hasn't been changed?

If it does, it hasn't been released yet.

But now that it's green lit and supposedly starting filming very soon, I expect they'll announce a date shortly.

BTW, the question mark can be taken out of the headline, since it's confirmed both Pratt and Lawrence will star.

Edited by JennaJ

In a time, where the only romance in movies seems to come from Nicholas Sparks, it's nice to hear, that they go for a big one after such a long time.

But I understand that Sony is anxious, after they spent 120m on a horrible movie like "How do you know". :wub:

In a time, where the only romance in movies seems to come from Nicholas Sparks, it's nice to hear, that they go for a big one after such a long time.

But I understand that Sony is anxious, after they spent 120m on a horrible movie like "How do you know". :wub:

This biggest mystery in Hollywood. The biggest set on that film was Reese Witherspoon s character condo, they gave 40m to Jack Nicholson for his 5 minutes cameo or what ?

Passengers is sci fi so it will have some visual candy at least.

Sony would be dumb not to jump on this, but those salaries are pretty high. If they're planning on filming this fall, then I expect 2016 release date announced soon; they could really take advantage of christmas 2016. Right now there is only an animated flick, risky musical and assassins' creed scheduled. Of course the stars wars standalone is coming out the weekend before but I don't expect that to be really huge.

Edited by babz06