A Marvel Fanboy

Passengers | Chris Pratt, Jennifer Lawrence | Dec 21, 2016 | Trailer pg 70

I may be missing something, but isn't BoxofficePro's prediction only for the 3 day weekend (Friday to Sunday) when three of these movies, including Passengers, are coming out on a Wednesday?

Are people taking this into consideration? They're not predicting 38m for the first 3 days of release.

22 minutes ago, JennaJ said:

I may be missing something, but isn't BoxofficePro's prediction only for the 3 day weekend (Friday to Sunday) when three of these movies, including Passengers, are coming out on a Wednesday?

Are people taking this into consideration? They're not predicting 38m for the first 3 days of release.

That's the only way their final total prediction (177m) makes any sense. If they predicting 38m Fri-Sun, they must expect the 5-day OW to be around 60M and a 3x multiplier from that get its to around 180m total.

42 minutes ago, trifle said:

I'm thinking if it is good it will be higher than that, but the premise of that article is that stars don't really add that much, and I think this movie is going to show that in some cases at least, that is wrong.

Yeah, when I've mentioned this film to friends and family most men don't care too much (some just say something like "cool" and show some interest about the scifi part of it) but women get all excited "those two together??? when is it out???"

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, JennaJ said:

this far out, who knows what they are doing. Look at their other numbers though.  The entire slate is kinda weird.

I don't think anyone is going to know at least until it hits tracking, and probably not really until we get some feel for reviews.  I frankly admit I'm biased, but I'm not the only one. There is a lot of excitement out there for this.

11 minutes ago, Kraken said:

Yeah, when I've mentioned this film to friends and family most men don't care too much (some just say something like "cool" and show some interest about the scifi part of it) but women get all excited "those two together??? when is it out???"

Yeah.  And half of Jen's fan accounts have taken on Passengers related account names - which didn't happen for Joy or XMen ..... or Silver Linings Playbook, either.

10 minutes ago, trifle said:

I don't think anyone is going to know at least until it hits tracking, and probably not really until we get some feel for reviews.  I frankly admit I'm biased, but I'm not the only one. There is a lot of excitement out there for this.

There's a lot of excitement from fans of Jen and Chris. I'm not sure I'm seeing huge awareness or excitement in the general audience. Honestly I think aside from the media wave that hit when the trailer first debuted, things have been pretty muted since.

I hope that between the news of the Ellen appearance and Chris doing that live webchat thing November 3rd, we're about to start seeing promotion kick up. I certainly hope the movie is good, but assuming it is, I don't want to see Sony drop the ball on promotion.

38 minutes ago, JennaJ said:

There's a lot of excitement from fans of Jen and Chris. I'm not sure I'm seeing huge awareness or excitement in the general audience. Honestly I think aside from the media wave that hit when the trailer first debuted, things have been pretty muted since.

I hope that between the news of the Ellen appearance and Chris doing that live webchat thing November 3rd, we're about to start seeing promotion kick up. I certainly hope the movie is good, but assuming it is, I don't want to see Sony drop the ball on promotion.

Sony's promotion sux.  That being said, Jen's and Chris's fans cover a fairly wide territory.

I expect general awareness to get up there in the month right before the movie when the promo tour starts with Ellen and after.  Now there are still people learning about it for the first time.  But when they do learn about it, people are well inclined towards it, in my experience.

(I also hope selfishly that the success of this film will lead directors and producers to pick male leads closer to Jen's age to work opposite.  The guy they seem to have lined up opposite her in the next one could easily be her father. Even Jen's fans are much more excited having Chris as male lead.)

Ugh. I knew of Tom Rothman's reputation from Fox (For instance - he's the one responsible for Deadpool not getting made for a long time, the fact it finally did was due to him leaving Fox). I knew he is known for micro-management and giving terrible notes on creative aspects he should have nothing to do with.

That's the reason I kept worrying about script changes and reshoots. I feared micro-management of this project as soon as I knew Rothman was handling it.

That's why I'm grasping tightly to any good indication coming from the writer that his work hasn't been hacked to pieces.

Ugh, I hope the Rothman curse skipped this one. I really do. I like the stars and concept too much to believe an over-inflated studio exec is gonna ruin it. I really hope he didn't put his fingerprints all over this movie.

I don't think I've ever been this anxious to read reviews. I'm keeping me expectations very low. Please be a good surprise, Passengers!

Edited by JennaJ

On 10/31/2016 at 6:13 PM, The Futurist said:

Top Sony Exec  utives Disillusioned With Film Chairman Tom Rothman

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/sony-executives-disillusioned-tom-rothman-1201904528/

Passengers is going to have 15 different cuts I guess.

Oh crap.  I am scared to read it.   It says NOTHING about any different cuts!  In fact it is cited as a hope to start a turn-around for the studio!

But yeah, he does seem like a micro manager, at least the way Variety writes him up.  They basically said his hardheaded interference was the reason Jen walked from The Rosie Project.  Either he has real issues, or he and Variety don't get along.

Edited by trifle
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, CAM97 said:

What are the chances that a second trailer will debut Nov. 10 at Ellen?

It would make sense, either a trailer or footage.  Billy Lynn comes out then, which is Sony, and they could attach a trailer, and Ellen is one of the shows where trailers are premiered...  I don't know, though.

Honestly, I'm just really looking forward to seeing the promo tour start, for its own sake!

Edited by trifle

On the fence about even seeing this.  If it wasn't me liking sci-fi, the movie would have no hook for me at all.  But if I have some free time after work or something, I may use my free movie powers to catch it :) 

11 hours ago, trifle said:

It would make sense, either a trailer or footage.  Billy Lynn comes out then, which is Sony, and they could attach a trailer, and Ellen is one of the shows where trailers are premiered...  I don't know, though.

Honestly, I'm just really looking forward to seeing the promo tour start, for its own sake!

Let's hope then! And hopefully they'll do more double interviews 

• Like 1