A Marvel Fanboy

Passengers | Chris Pratt, Jennifer Lawrence | Dec 21, 2016 | Trailer pg 70

More on the intellectual property lawsuit:

...On June 17, a federal judge issued a preliminary injunction freezing a sophisticated motion capture technology called MOVA, of which DD3 is the exclusive licensee, from being used by movie studios and by DD3 itself. U.K. firm Moving Picture Company (MPC) is providing the VFX work on Passengers, while DD3 provided motion capture work....

According to an individual with knowledge of the production, Digital Domain provided two hours of high-resolution facial capture work on the film in February and then gave the data to Sony. It’s scheduled to be released in December 2016. ....

"This will have no impact whatsoever on postproduction or the release of the film," said an unnamed source at the studio. But an individual who works in the VFX space says Passengers could be among the films impacted by the ruling. "They have to reassign the work now," that individual told THR. ...

...A judge has agreed to hear motions on July 8. Until that time, neither DD3 nor Rearden will be able to use the MOVA tech.

considerably more detail at link: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/is-jennifer-lawrences-passengers-caught-907755?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Edited by trifle
  • Like 1

Just now, kowhite said:

I just want to watch the damn movie.  Dammit.

And yes, I will imagine Keanu Reeves the whole time while I watch it.

Pratt Pratt & JenLaw could have made Jolie_Pitt & JayZ_Beyoncé uncool.

They would have ruled the world together and you know, these things happen a LOT in these movies.

But then again,Anna Farris is awesome and the kid she had with Star Lord is cute af so ...

• Like 3

13 hours ago, The Futurist said:

Pratt Pratt & JenLaw could have made Jolie_Pitt & JayZ_Beyoncé uncool.

They would have ruled the world together and you know, these things happen a LOT in these movies.

But then again,Anna Farris is awesome and the kid she had with Star Lord is cute af so ...

One thing I'm seriously not looking forward to is the forced fake affair rumors.

Chris and Anna are an awesome couple. I really hope the click-bait media will find another angle for this movie.

Edited by JennaJ
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, JennaJ said:

One thing I'm seriously not looking forward to is the forced fake affair rumors.

Chris and Anna are an awesome couple. I really hope the click-bait media will find another angle for this movie.

they already tried, and messed up because it hadn't started filming yet.  Jen and Anna talked about it the very first thing before filming, and they go out of their way to praise eachother, Jen characterizing Anna and Pratt's relationship as something out of a Sparks novel. Jen made headlines about how her sex scene with Pratt was harder because she was kissing a married man. Anna had Jen and Pratt as guests on her podcast.  Pratt repeatedly praises Anna in his speeches and appearances. The tabloids will have a hard time making anything of it, which doesn't mean they won't try.

Edited by trifle
  • Like 3

I was so sure it was going to come out with Ghostbusters.

Assume this must have something to do with the CGI rights issue they had to handle.

I really hope that problem doesn't derail the movie in any way - promotion wise or by forcing them to remove/alter anything.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ThatOneTrek said:

At this point, they're probably gonna give it an awards run by placing it in limited release on Christmas before going wide on Jan. 6.  Especially after Space Between Us moved to that date.

I honestly can't imagine Space Between Us altering Passengers' schedule in any way.  I saw an article speculating that the special effects issue might preclude a screening at Telluride (assuming they were going for that) if it drags on too long, but Sony has said it absolutely won't impact the schedule for release.  Scheduling the UK premier for Dec 23 supports that schedule. Trailers are another matter, unfortunately. 

I think they intend to open widely, and since this was one of the most buzzed about movies at CinemaCon (per Variety), I think the theaters will support that.  I'm not even certain yet if this is or isn't intended to be an awards show (although it is hard to see Tydlum and Jen in a movie and think that isn't at least a hope.)  One British guy for the Telegraph who saw footage at CinemaCon saw it as a tent pole blockbuster.  However, others there were talking awards.

Edited by trifle

2 minutes ago, trifle said:

I honestly can't imagine Space Between Us altering Passengers' schedule in any way.  I saw an article speculating that the special effects issue might preclude a screening at Telluride (assuming they were going for that) if it drags on too long, but Sony has said it absolutely won't impact the schedule for release.  Scheduling the UK premier for Dec 23 supports that schedule. Trailers are another matter, unfortunately. 

I think they intend to open widely, and since this was one of the most buzzed about movies at CinemaCon (per Variety), I think the theaters will support that.  I'm not even certain yet if this is or isn't intended to be an awards show (although it is hard to see Tydlum and Jen in a movie and think that isn't at least a hope.)  One British guy for the Telegraph saw it as a tent pole blockbuster.

Hm, maybe then they'll move it to Christmas Day wide release instead in order to avoid direct competition from Space Between Us.

4 minutes ago, ThatOneTrek said:

Hm, maybe then they'll move it to Christmas Day wide release instead in order to avoid direct competition from Space Between Us.

I honestly think Space Between Us is the one that would be well advised to move.  It already moved twice.  And now it will be facing Passengers and La La Land, both.  (With Rogue One still looming large on the sci fi front.) I just don't know how much market it will pick up in that slot.  Both of those movies have hooks Space Between Us just doesn't have.  I wonder if Space Between Us folks heard of the special effects issue with Passengers and thought it was worse than it is, when they moved their movie to December 21.

If Sony wasn't moving for Rogue One, I can't see Sony moving to avoid Space Between Us.

Edited by trifle

36 minutes ago, ThatOneTrek said:

At this point, they're probably gonna give it an awards run by placing it in limited release on Christmas before going wide on Jan. 6.  Especially after Space Between Us moved to that date.

Space Between Us is no threat whatsoever to anything. 

35 minutes ago, ThatOneTrek said:

You're thinking they'll move to avoid Space Between Us, but not Star Wars? Hm.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ThatOneTrek said:

Considering that Space Between Us is a similar genre (scifi) and being that they're released on the same day, it seems probable one of em will move

Yeah but one contains no stars, I know which one I'd move. 

30 minutes ago, ThatOneTrek said:

Considering that Space Between Us is a similar genre (scifi) and being that they're released on the same day, it seems probable one of em will move

The Space Between isn't going to make anything no matter what "space" you put between it and any other movie.

I need a trailer for this movie already. -_-

• Like 1

Just now, Ethan Hunt said:

I really don't think they have to worry about people choosing to see The Space Between Us over Passengers

If Passengers don't show up, I'll have to watch TSBU as an alternative.:(