A Marvel Fanboy

Passengers | Chris Pratt, Jennifer Lawrence | Dec 21, 2016 | Trailer pg 70

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

That wouldn't be Sony's problem, that would be a problem for Universal and Lionsgate.

Well yeah, but still, w/all of those releases at once, Passengers may not reach the heights it could if it came out in a less crowded weekend. But yeah, it would be a bigger problem for Grey and Wick, indeed.

3 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Valentine's Day is too crowded next year - you got Lego Batman, Fifty Shades and John Wick. Sure, Passengers would be the most surefire bet of 'em all sans Batman, but still, I don't know if it would be a great idea.

None of those sound more intimidating than going up against the second week of Rogue One.

IDK, honestly what I'm most concerned about is them rushing the CGI or not having enough time to properly promote this. I'd rather they delay than give us a half baked movie / under-marketed release.

• Like 3

I totally forgot about 50 Shades 2 - wasn't even sure if it was still a go. I would totally push it to V Day 2017 because it would absolutely kill it. It's placement right now is definitely intended for counter-programming to RO but there's a fair amount of counter programming up and down the December calendar, and you might not even be ready?

29 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Valentine's Day is too crowded next year - you got Lego Batman, Fifty Shades and John Wick. Sure, Passengers would be the most surefire bet of 'em all sans Batman, but still, I don't know if it would be a great idea.

Fifty Shades will have a major decrease and Wick is not a threat at all. 

Valentine's Day is way too crowded and even if you don't think there is much threat, it would take too big of a chunk out of the box office.  

Groups of women and dates are still going to show up to 50 Shades to make an impact, huge family movie that will take plenty of adults out of the mix and then add in a sort of cult hit in John Wick and that is too much to contend with.  

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, CJohn said:

That wouldn't be Sony's problem, that would be a problem for Universal and Lionsgate.

Don't forget you have The Dark Tower and others around at the same time.  

The last week in September or second week in October makes the most sense.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Don't forget you have The Dark Tower and others around at the same time.  

The last week in September or second week in October makes the most sense.  

I forgot that Sony already has a big movie in February as well.

40 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Valentine's Day is way too crowded and even if you don't think there is much threat, it would take too big of a chunk out of the box office.  

Groups of women and dates are still going to show up to 50 Shades to make an impact, huge family movie that will take plenty of adults out of the mix and then add in a sort of cult hit in John Wick and that is too much to contend with.  

Passengers would have a romance angle as well if we're taking about a date movie. It also has that sci-fi/action factor to attract other demos

Fifty Shades sequel is only going to bring in it's fanbase there is no novelty factor anymore. Wick is a 'cult hit' meaning it's also only going to appeal to a niche audience. 

The only issue is that Sony has a big film Dark Tower in February, but they could  easily move that to June/July.

Edited by babz06

4 hours ago, antovolk said:

So vague.  Are they re shooting an entire act?   Re shooting a scene?  Adding a scene?  Doing the usual small pick ups they realized they needed when editing?  

The movie isn't coming out for 3 and 1/2 months, they have time to re-shoot & edit while promoting at the same time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

So vague.  Are they re shooting an entire act?   Re shooting a scene?  Adding a scene?  Doing the usual small pick ups they realized they needed when editing?  

The movie isn't coming out for 3 and 1/2 months, they have time to re-shoot & edit while promoting at the same time.

They've got, at most, a week and a half worth of shooting days assuming the reshoots include both their leads. I doubt they can shoot an entire act in that time.

3 hours ago, CJohn said:

Valentine's Day could work. March or July are each two months apart from GotG2 so I don't see the problem either.

Lol, Kong: Skull Island and Beauty and the Beast would fuck up Passengers so hard in March.

Maybe it could go head-to-head with Dunkirk in July.

Edited by cannastop

Just now, TalismanRing said:

The whole thing.  From start to finish.  Thanks to MOVA.

3 hours ago, JennaJ said:

While I can't be sure, if it's actually going through these reshoots now they can't be very lengthy. Pratt is about to start promoting Mag7 in less than a week and has not been filming up to a few days ago.

I think JLaw also just wrapped on her Aronofsky movie a few days ago.

Since they're basically the only two actors in the movie, seems like it's at most a few days of reshoots.

Yeah. 

I think it's right that if it doesn't come out with Mag 7 it will likely be delayed, and maybe should be because we don't want half-assed marketing.  But Mag 7 hasn't come out yet.  The more they don't announce it has been delayed, as articles keep coming out saying it is going forward, the more I think they are still at least keeping the possibility open that they could be on schedule.  I think they would announce it was delayed pretty much as soon as they were sure it was delayed.  I'm thinking they may think they can avoid the problem with reshoots.

I'll go further.  There was speculation in one article, drawing from the brief in the special effects case that another movie impacted was Rogue One.  Shortly after that, Rogue One announced reshoots.  Obviously, I don't know if that is the case, but it is plausible that that is a way to get around the special effects issue.

We'll see, I guess.  But I agree with you on what you posted before; the most important thing is the final product, and rushing it if it wouldn't be as good or couldn't be properly marketed would be worse than delaying it. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Yeah, if the trailer comes out with Mag 7, I think they'd be fine.  If they know it isn't going to, I think they should announce, though.

32 minutes ago, JennaJ said:

They've got, at most, a week and a half worth of shooting days assuming the reshoots include both their leads. I doubt they can shoot an entire act in that time.

Yeah.  And Jen spent the weekend hiking with a friend and visiting with her parents, and if they frantically needed a ton of reshoots, I'm sure she would have been busy re-shooting, instead.

Same guy also posted this two weeks ago, so I guess as far as he knows, the movie is not being delayed.

https://t.co/nnOQ037wgm

ETA: Instagram won't embed but it's a picture of his baby looking at the EW spead with the caption "Eleanor is reading up on an awesome movie coming this holiday season. #passengersmovie"

Edited by JennaJ
  • Like 1