CAYOM YEAR 1: Film Discussion

Ry's actuals are always amazing because crazy shit happens randomly (Planet of the Apes 2 139m OW remains unexplained but I am very thankful!!) but it all seems coherent and realistic to a degree in the end.

Edited by Hunch

Yep. I tried to do that in year 46, but well, nothing really could. Starcraft did really well though. Though I did make Vampires of Moscow have a random opening of 30M :P (A really bad vampire film with Niel Patrick Harris)

Ry's actuals are always amazing because crazy shit happens randomly (Planet of the Apes 2 139m OW remains unexplained but I am very thankful!!) but it all seems coherent and realistic to a degree in the end.

I had blocked that one out of my mind, it was so insane.A couple other major spring/summer films aside from yours still need to be posted as well (or need Theater Counts such as Vesta).

Reasons this year will shoot itselfJanuary- Zero competition between films.February- 5 horror films + 3 weeks = Yes it is February but really?! Audiences will be sick of horror filmsMarch- 4 blockbuster sci-fi films + 3 weeks = Expect way lower than expected numbers if not some big flops. The Adventures should become the dominate film.April- Two over 3,500 theater blockbuster sci-fi films open in this month. Possible sci-fi fatigue??May- May will probably feel the affect of the spring rush of sci-fi films. Interconnected and Secrets of Mania opening the same weekend will BUTCHER each other.June- This month should has little competition and could actually see some big hits do to little competition.July- Fantasy and sci-fi film fatigue could make films this month's films open or finish lower than expected. Also two vampire films opening the same month??? Only one will come out alive ;)August- Same as June pretty much but........September- Boring as hellOctober- Another horror film overload? Will audiences have recovered from February?November- This month could be huge (like MASSIVE!) I doubt it though because of competition between films. Only Bartimaeus and the Amulet of Samarkand (opening ahead of competition) and Wings of Icarus (animated film. Yes Neighbourhood is animated but it is R.) should actually survive if there is fantasy film fatigue.December- Ok so two sci-fi action films open within five days of each other! Audiences sick and tired of sci-fi? Probably. Bear and the Fox could be HUGE this month and so could The Seventh Seal.

Really? Well, I suppose with 45 years of CAYOM precedent establishing video game films as huge, it would make that kind of money, but I think (as with Zelda OoT in Year 1 of old CAYOM) we need a BIG video game based film as an icebreaker before any movies based on obscure video game franchises start making tons of money. Numbers' MW films could probably be that icebreaker. But if everyone predicts SoM to do really well I'll have it do well.

The struggle with the MW films is trying to turn the games' Michael Bay-esque storyline into something more coherent and logical. I don't look forward to trying to unravel the insanity that gets into MW3's plot. That's why in the first film I have Makarov as a secondary villain, so when he appears in Film 2 people aren't surprised about him popping out of nowhere like he does in the game series.I'll do my own presumptive analysis of the big months later. I think it'll disagree a fair bit with Hiccup's assumptions.

Edited by 4815162342

A Zelda movie, if done right, would be a huge hit. Tomb Raider already proved video game films could be big...then there's Prince of Persia (LOL) but that had horrible marketing and was a bad film.

The struggle with the MW films is trying to turn the games' Michael Bay-esque storyline into something more coherent and logical. I don't look forward to trying to unravel the insanity that gets into MW3's plot. That's why in the first film I have Makarov as a secondary villain, so when he appears in Film 2 people aren't surprised about him popping out of nowhere like he does in the game series.I'll do my own presumptive analysis of the big months later. I think it'll disagree a fair bit with Hiccup's assumptions.

I am excited for your analysis.

Finally finished my final film. Very ensemble-oriented. Though a handful of characters are more leading than others, I can't say if any of them qualify enough for a Best Actor push. Ugh, it's going to be tough for me to decide which ones get pushed for Supporting Actor.Anyways, a brief analysis of key months:March: Hiccup thinks The Adventures will be the dominant film, probably because he made it. Nothing about The Adventures strikes me as being a substantial hit and of the two animated films I think it'll have less impact. Barren World could win the month based on legs, since God's Deal is the kind of film that will open higher but probably plummet afterwards.Winner: Barren World (assuming it gets finished)Runner-Up: The End of the UniverseMay: Nova isn't posted yet (looks at Hunch) so this month is incomplete in analysis. But the head-to-head matchup on May 11 will be bloody. And we need a solid blockbuster to open opposite Birds of a Feather, nothing huge, but something to get a solid gross as counter-programming.Winner: TBD (depends on Nova)Runner-Up: ApocalypseJune: Expedition Everest needs its plot posted, but I remember it a bit from CAYOM 1.0 and it would be a good crowd-pleaser. We could use a couple counter-programming films for this month since it's a rather bland month.Winner: Expedition EverestRunner-Up: Sitting Ducks or The Dark VictorianJuly: The Big Month. Call of Duty and Vesta are the presumptive favorites here. We have a Final Fantasy film that has no plot or theater count posted yet, so it is an anomaly. Same with Hunch's film Zendikar, which has no post at all. If both films do appear then one of those two needs to move to either July 25 or go into June or August.Winner: Vesta or Call of Duty (depends on Vesta's critical reaction, it could leg it out)Runner-Up: The loser of the aboveAugust: Like June this is a more quiet month that could use a couple more solid films to fill out counter-programming. After Doomsday smells like a sinking ship so the Tarantino crowd-pleaser will win the day.Winner: Hired GunsRunner-Up: Chronicle I guessNovember: Dear God we have a crowded month. We have fantasies, sci-fi films, animated bonanzas, an ill-advised Frankenstein adaptation with some odd casting, and a pair of films slowly expanding which won't be affected by the above and won't be a factor in this competition. I need to see Hunch's Danny Boyle film before I'm sure, but as it stands the 3 big films opening the weekend prior to Thanksgiving will slaughter one-another, making it a win for Bartimaeus probably. So, either Hunch or SilverShark needs to get their November 18th film the fuck out of that weekend.Winner: Right now Bartimaeus due to the November 18th massacreRunner-Up: Wings of Icarus. While It's OW is going to be limited by the three-way, Gemini (yes it will always be Gemini to me) films have a tradition of great legs because they are great, so it'll out-leg everything.December: A crowded month that is more spread out in its crowdedness. I don't know what The Bear and the Fox is going to be, but it's not going to win. The Morrow will win, easy enough. The month could use a film counter-programming on The Morrow's weekend, maybe another filler somewhere.Winner: The MorrowRunner-Up: Assuming Kittyhawk is posted and is good, I think it could be the surprise crowdpleaser drama of the year and leg it out.

Zendikar is Magic: The Gathering and you all know I go hard when it comes to MTG.I have work to do but I will finish it all tomorrow so my films will come this week, I am determined to do them even if they are short plots.