Deep Wang

Ratchet & Clank | 4.29.2016 | Teaser Trailer on Page 1

I'd just be happy if it's a good movie for the fans. We hardly get even half-decent VG films, and I'd be cool with a VG film that actually satisfied fans of the adapted series and didn't fuck it all up (cough Super Mario Bros cough). Hopefully either Warcraft or Assassin's Creed can turn the trend around for both critics and audiences.

• Like 1

For a while I had this pegged as a wildcard, but coming out after the one-two punch of Zoo and Jungle Book? Yeah probably not gonna do much lol.

also I know some people love the franchise a lot, and while the games have sold decently Ratchet & Clank has never had a whole lot of pop culture clout I think. At their peak (I'd say around the time the third PS2 game came out) they were solid B-listers at best. Definitely nowhere near Sonic-levels of ubiquity.

I can't imagine the Sly Cooper movie is gonna do any better either, assuming that's still going ahead.

Edited by UCHUBomb

10 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly/42477/USA/

The new game sold 190.5k copies last week amounting to 7.62M in sales. If everybody who bought the game saw the movie it would gross 1.63M :lol:   (Using BOM's average price)

VG Chartz is mostly a crock of shit.

Not to say Ratchet and Clank did better than the #'s VG Chartz is indicating...it could be worse too.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, kowhite said:

True, but it's not like this sold 5m units or something.

I gotta be honest, given how Tools of Destruction and a Crack in Time sold, I would be shocked if this game managed 190,000 units sold in its first week.

I know its $40 and all and it was well received, but I figure the franchise's glory days are mostly gone.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MrPink said:

VG Chartz is mostly a crock of shit.

Not to say Ratchet and Clank did better than the #'s VG Chartz is indicating...it could be worse too.

Of course, but something is better than nothing. This is going to do under 15M domestically regardless.

There is not much hype for this at all, and the only commercial I've seen for it was on Nickelodeon.  Box Office Mojo's Worst Saturated Opening Weekend chart might be adding this movie to its list should R&C open in single digits.  However, I can easily see this movie being released in the fall as part of a Playstation 4 system bundle, with the Ratchet & Clank game and movie together.  Maybe there will be also be a R&C "movie and game" dual pack for those with a PS4 already later this year?

I found a German review (it's released here on Thursday) from a very reliable site (moviejones). It got 60%. Because the reviewer also criticizes the German dubbing which is of course irrelevant to US-moviegoers the score would actually be a bit higher.
Strange, I saw that a reviewer from The List also gave it 60% but the review sounds completely different. Anyway, the review I try to translate is from someone who is a big fan of the games and says that most videogame-movies in recent years were disgusting. That's what he liked and disliked:

Cons:

- the movie is addressed to a really young audience (under 15 years) and older moviegoers could feel unchallenged because the story is too simple
- the film can't denie its small budget and so the animation is only mediocre

(- the new dubbing is good but the reviewer would have preferred the original dubber by far).

Pros:

- you don't need to be a gamer-nerd to like the movie and it's a film for the whole family. OTOH fans of the videogames will recognize many popular elements

- it has a lot of charm and stays true to the spirit of the games

- the transformation from a videogame to an animated film worked very well.

So overall it seems that it could have been a very good film if it would have had a bigger budget and a deeper storyline.

(...)Rein unter dem Standpunkt seiner Herkunft betrachtet, handelt es sich bei Ratchet & Clank durchaus um die beste und authentischste Videospieleverfilmung, die es jemals gab. Doch als reiner Film lässt Ratchet & Clank leider noch viele Wünsche offen. Die Story ist zu sehr auf ein junges Publikum ausgerichtet und unterfordert damit gerade die älteren Fans, denn auch Animationsfilme sollten inzwischen eine höhere Komplexität und Tiefgang bieten als ein simples Gut-Böse-Schema. Da auch die Animationsqualität nur solide und nicht auf Höhe der Zeit ist, spricht weniger für einen

Kinobesuch und mehr für einen launigen Nachmittag vorm Blu-ray-Player(...).

• Like 2

On 4/23/2016 at 8:57 PM, MrPink said:

I gotta be honest, given how Tools of Destruction and a Crack in Time sold, I would be shocked if this game managed 190,000 units sold in its first week.

I know its $40 and all and it was well received, but I figure the franchise's glory days are mostly gone.

No, it's been reported that it had the best first week of ANY R&C game ever.  

The $40 price tag was definitely a key to that.