#ED

Weekend Estimates - (Pain & Gain: 20M, The Big Wedding: 7.5M)

SUNDAY 3 AM, 4TH UPDATE: Summer 2013 can’t start quickly enough for me when I’ll have some decent grosses to go gaga over. For now 2 newcomers debuted during a slow $84M weekend down -19% from last year. Pain & Gain (2,950 theaters) is #1 this weekend. My sources say it opened with $7.4M Friday – including $750K in Thursday evening/Friday midnights – and $7.7M Saturday for a $20M weekend. That’s so-so for the Paramount Pictures true crime comedy that had uneven reviews and a mediocre ‘C+’ CinemaScore from audiences – but only a $26M budget. Pain & Gain was part of Michael Bay’s 2-picture deal with Paramount that also included Transformers 4. Stars Mark Wahlberg and Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson deferred their compensation in return for big back ends. Surprising that the combination of them couldn’t open this pic with a bigger number. Hey, the studio encouraged Bay to do his best Coen Brothers imitation and produce/direct his little passion project considering all the Transformersmoolah he has made for Brad Grey, Rob Moore, Adam Goodman, et al. Wahlberg (now in Bay’s Transformers 4), Johnson, and Anthony Mackie play 1990s Florida bodybuilders whose crime spree to get rich goes horribly wrong. Supporting cast includes Ed Harris, Tony Shalhoub, Rob Corddry, Rebel Wilson, and Bar Paly. The screenplay credited to Christopher Markus & Stephen McFeely is based on a Miami New Times article by Pete Collins about Florida businessman Marc Schiller who survived kidnapping, torture, and attempted murder at the hands of the Sun Gym Gang. He’s less than amused by his portrayal in the film and contemplates legal action. The exhibition community at CinemaCon also had mixed reactions, especially about the broad comic tone surrounding the disturbing real-life crimes. Owners of small and mid-sized theaters weren’t expecting a huge hit – and they were right. Besides Bay, Pain & Gain is produced by Donald De Line and Ian Bryce. It goes overseas beginning August.

Edited by iTz ED

Unless they make over 2m or less than 100k, midnight results from films like these tell us absolutely zero.

Exactly. These aren't even midnight numbers as $750k includes a lot of evening previews.

I'm still shocked Michael Bay made a $26M budget movie.

Why ?

Bay is one of the most self conscious director regarding budgets in Hollywood even when he spends more than 200m for Transformers.

Every penny is on the screen.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 2